2002 Yamaha G16 jerks into gear

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2016, 10:36 PM
Default 2002 Yamaha G16 jerks into gear

Well I can't seem to figure this out. I greased the primary clutch by taking the cover off and removing any excess grease. It seemed a bit sticky but after greasing it it slide very nice and seemed like it was the fix. I also pumped some grease in the secondary adds then gave it a try, well the same thing but this time it slams a little harder. I do most of my own work and when I run into big stuff I take it over to The Villages Golf Car, they are good and I even buy my parts from them. So I put it in neutral and rev the motor and both clutches seem to be doing the right thing but it still slams into gear, after its in gear it runs great even at slow speeds, just when you come to a stop then it happens again.

Any ideas ? The primary clutch is pretty new but the secondary looks to be original. I hear that the plastic ramps on the secondary might be causing it. I would love some input. I love working on these things, makes me feel like a gear head again.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 12-15-2016, 07:19 PM
Eternal Member

I would suggest you remove the driven clutch (secoundary) and check the ramp shoes for ware and destorted surfaces, you may have a good chance of finding the cause for the rough start.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:09 AM

Frank, sorry for the big delay in getting back to you. The holidays and I have been a little sick as well. First thank you for the response, I did buy a new belt, it is a gates HD style which measured 1 1/4" instead of the stock 1 3/16". It seemed to help a bit but not cure the problem. If I feather it into gear at first it runs great, wheather im going slow or fast it is a smooth as glass, but if I come to a complete stop then it jerks again into gear. As you say my next thing is to check the secondary clutch. Do I need a puller to take that off? And since I'm doing all this and have gone this far should I just replace it with a new one with new ramp shoes and spring ? They sell an after market heavy duty spring that supposed to give you more torque , but I really don't think a need that. What's your thoughts ?
Thanks again,
Jeff,
Old 01-07-2017, 08:10 AM
Eternal Member

Glad your feeling better, if your able to get the clutch off it shoud be obvious to determin the worn paarts needing replacement.
A new clutch may be the best option for you.
Regards
Old 01-07-2017, 09:42 AM

Do I need a puller or a spring compresser to do this ? I do know you have to lose the spring before it goes back on but just did not know if this could be done with out a compresser. Or take it into the shop ?
Old 01-07-2017, 02:35 PM
Eternal Member

Take it to the shop, you need the correct tools for that job.

FR
Closed Thread

Tags
gear, secondary, slams, grease, thing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.