Club car charging

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2014, 04:56 PM
Default Club car charging

Just arrived yesterday and my 48v (6-8volt batteries) club car charger continues to charge. The charger drops down to about 8v overnight but then continues at that rate. I put a voltmeter on all the batteries and they are within a half volt of each other. The batteries are approximately 2 1/2 yrs old. I think I most likely have a bad cell? I want to wait until Spring to replace all the batteries. My questions are:
Does it sound likely to have a bad cell?
Is it worth changing out one battery?
How is the new Trojan Ranger battery proving out? Or am I better off going to 8 six volt batteries?

Last edited by Rickg; 08-30-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:26 PM
Eternal Member

The charger meter is reading in AMPs not volts. Hovering at 8 amps is showing a struggle. Not knowing how long you were away but I will assume a few months I would disconnect and replete charge a few more times.
They may catch up.
When you put the 8 -6 volts in did you upgrade your charger or charge computer?
Your batteries may have kept up to your original equipment before and it is possible you may have never let them get to the present discharge level before this time frame.
Need more info to evaluate correctly.
The Ranger Batteries are doing super and we are using the in place of converting to 6-8s
But they cost as much as 8-6s
Old 08-31-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank7 View Post
The charger meter is reading in AMPs not volts. Hovering at 8 amps is showing a struggle. Not knowing how long you were away but I will assume a few months I would disconnect and replete charge a few more times.
They may catch up.
When you put the 8 - 6 volts in did you upgrade your charger or charge computer?
Your batteries may have kept up to your original equipment before and it is possible you may have never let them get to the present discharge level before this time frame.
Need more info to evaluate correctly.
The Ranger Batteries are doing super and we are using the in place of converting to 6-8s
But they cost as much as 8-6s
Frank, I don't have 6 volt now, but you answered my question. I'll be going with the Rangers in the spring. I was gone for two months but kept the battery tender on it. I have charged three times now and continue to have the same issue. I'm assuming it's the batteries and not the charger giving me the issue?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.