Derek Jeter to Retire after 2014 Season

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2014, 09:47 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp
Default Derek Jeter to Retire after 2014 Season

First Mariano, now Derek. How fortunate we all were to be able to watch them play.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:01 AM
Sage

Derek Jeter will be a first balot Hall of Fame candidate. He gave us so many wonderful memeories, but most of all he is a class act.

I will sorely miss this great player for his consistent play, and his baseball smarts. Maybe he will become the Yankee manager someday.

I will look fondly on his farewell tour, as he and Mo made a great team. Mo will be sorely missed this year, as he was an all world pitcher and another gentleman, with a lot of class. I have always said the Yankees would have been a 500 team without Mo, even with all that great talent. All those great saves. Hopefully, Robertson can fill his gigantic shoes.

The core four will now be gone.

All products of the Yankee farm system, that produced many championships.
I will miss Mo, Andy Pettite, Jorge Posada and now Derek Jeter.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-13-2014, 08:19 AM
Platinum member

It is only fair to add Bernie in the mix. Another class act,he was for some reason forgotten about soon after he retired. I agree with everything else said and of the class act Mariano was. Time to turn the pages and wait for the next generation
Old 02-13-2014, 08:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
It is only fair to add Bernie in the mix. Another class act,he was for some reason forgotten about soon after he retired. I agree with everything else said and of the class act Mariano was. Time to turn the pages and wait for the next generation
It may be a long wait.

The caliber of these players will be hard to match. IMHO

Old 02-13-2014, 08:24 AM
Platinum member

Just read a article about Jeter. The reporter put him in the top 5 Yankees of all time. I disagree. The top five have to belong to Babe, Lou, Joltin Joe, Mickey and Yogi. And Whitey might be #6. I would then put Mariano, Jeter, Mattingly and then possibly Munson. Note. Reggie was great but he wasn't a true Yankee. Holy cow! Phil doesn't make the list
Old 02-13-2014, 08:43 AM
Gold member

Can not disagree with ANY of your posts!

Jeter will be sorely missed.

I still miss Bernie and think he had a couple of years left.

Regarding the "list" - "The Mick" was, and always will be my favorite. Saw him play on many occasions.

GOOD LUCK JETES!!!!
Old 02-13-2014, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

As a life long Red Sox fan I hated to see what Derek Jeter did to my team. But I always respected him and his talents. And yes, unlike A-Rod he was and still is a class act.
I'm sure that like Mariano Riviera he will get a standing ovation when he plays his last game at Fenway.
But Like Tom said, it's time to welcome a new generation.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:51 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
As a life long Red Sox fan I hated to see what Derek Jeter did to my team. But I always respected him and his talents. And yes, unlike A-Rod he was and still is a class act.
I'm sure that like Mariano Riviera he will get a standing ovation when he plays his last game at Fenway.
But Like Tom said, it's time to welcome a new generation.
Said by a. Man whose team had their own legends. Williams, Yaz, Fisk, Rice, Lynn, Duey, Pedro and the best second baseman in the game. dustin Pedroia.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:56 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

You guys said it all. Here's my dirty little secret. Even though I am a Yankee fan, my favorite non-Yankee was always Yaz. So, right back at ya dr. Winston oboogie!
Old 02-13-2014, 12:36 PM
Platinum member

Right on Barry. During the World Series I sat with a Red Sox fan(Nadick Dan) and rooted for Boston. Rivals, yes. But another great franchise.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:53 PM
Sage

I was at Yankee Stadium in the third deck in right field and Ted Williams hit a ball that I tought was coming to me!!!! It landed eight rows back from me and I was six rows form the edge of the balconey. What a shot!!!!! And he was at the end of his career. He finished with over 500 homers, (531 if I remember correctly), and he served twice in WWII and Korea, (6 years worth). What a remarkable man but unfortunately he wasn't good with the press, and they always lambasted him every chance they got.

Ted was the best pure hitter to play the game. He always said he hated to se Yogi come up in critical situations as there was no way to pitch to him. He swung at every ball he could reach. Ted also said that Phil Rizzutto was their MVP as he cost the Sox several championships with his fielding.

As Yogi said, "I can't hit and think at the same time".

My favorite was always Yogi as he called a great game and was never given credit for his baseball smarts. He did ok in real life too, as he is a millionaire.

He's so lovable because he is so unique and quoted so often. Hence, the book, "I Didn't Say Everything, They Said, I Said.

I agree Jeter belongs in the top ten. IMHO

Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio, Mantle, Berra, Rivera and then Jeter.

My uncle Joe who saw Ruth and Gehrig play, loved Rizzutto and even admitted that Jeter was a better shortstop. That was saying a mouthful for him. He always loved class acts who knew how to conduct themselves on and off the field.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:57 PM
Platinum member

Well said, Joe.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.