New York Yankees Talk

Old 07-13-2010, 06:45 AM
Veteran member
Default Voice of the Yankees

I grew up on Long Island, and although I was originally a Brooklyn Dodgers fan and saw my first game ab Ebbets Field, and my first hero was Pee Wee Reese, when they moved to California I became a Yankees fan. For the last 11 years I have been living in Toledo Ohio (part time in tv) and got to listen to many Detroit Tiger games. I was privileged to be able to enjoy two Giants of the broadcasting industry. Ernie Harwell and Bob Sheppard. Both have recently passed away, but their voices will always be part of my baseball memories. For true baseball fans, these were men that brought class and dignity to my favorite game.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Sage

I just saw it come across the news unconfirmed reports that George Steinbrenner has suffered a massive heart attack. He's listed in critical condition.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...all&id=7551991

Last edited by bkcunningham1; 07-13-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:53 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default George Steinbrenner

Just heard that the AP announced that George Steinbrenner died this morning.!!!
Old 07-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Sage

I also heard news agencies confirmed his death. His family just released a statement. Sorry to hijack your thread brostholder.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Rip

Two Yankee greats in a short period of time
Old 07-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

REST IN PEACE! George Steinbrenner and thank you for the many wonderful memories you gave to the fans!!!!!

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 07-14-2010, 05:03 PM

I just finished reading the newly released book, STEINBRENNER: THE LAST LION OF BASEBALL. He was an "interesting" character to say the least. RIP
Old 08-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Default Getting the YES Network in The Villages

We will be moving into The Villages on October 1st and are in the process of setting up Direct TV service. We are avid Yankee fans and want to receive the YES Network. I have been receiving conflicting information on whether or not it is available. When I talked to a rep from Century Link, they said it is available but after reading NJBlue's comments as of 2009, he wasn't able to receive YES in Florida. Help!!!!
Old 08-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePir2 View Post
We will be moving into The Villages on October 1st and are in the process of setting up Direct TV service. We are avid Yankee fans and want to receive the YES Network. I have been receiving conflicting information on whether or not it is available. When I talked to a rep from Century Link, they said it is available but after reading NJBlue's comments as of 2009, he wasn't able to receive YES in Florida. Help!!!!
I doubt it. We live in Memphis now and I pay for the MLB package and the NFL package (only available on Directv) to see my wonderful teams. You can buy the sport package from Directv but ONLY the games will be blacked out. Just an extra cost for leaving the Apple. I hope someone responds and tells me I'm full of bull in TV. PLEASE!
Old 08-19-2010, 02:16 PM

My husband is on the phone right now with Century Link and they are saying that we can get the YES network on Direct TV at our location. I'm hoping that's true. If not there is always MLB network. We've never had a satellite dish before and hope it is reliable. Thanks for the info and I hope you're wrong also. My husband can't live without his Yankees.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Veteran member
Default Directv

Yes you get YES but everything but the games will be blacked out....
That's $10 a month I think for all the regional sport stations.
$180 for MLB. $300 for the NFL.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Gold member
Default packages

I thought Century Link (formerly EMBARQ) had a deal with DISH network, not DirecTV? Has this changed?
Old 08-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Veteran member
Smile

As posted above, you can get the sports package from DTV and receive all the regional channels from around the country. They will blackout the games played on those channels from the MLB, NFL, NHL and NBA. The upside is that you can get a lot of the pre and post game shows, but you will have to pay for the individual leagues. As far as reliability, you can lose signal during severe weather, but, at least here in Mass., those incidents are far and in between. You also get locals, but not the TV channel. I have cable and DTV and the picture quality of DTV is better, although, if you don't have a good television it probably won't matter. I'm told it's because DTV doesn't compress the signal as much as cable.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:35 PM

I'm not sure it is worth it to pay for the baseball or football pkg. You can always DVR the games that are on the networks that you get. I am a White Sox fan and they are on a couple times a week without paying extra. I watch the Rays on other days and they are worth watching. If the players can move around and show no loyalty why can't the fans. The Rays are a good alternative when the Yankees aren't on.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Default Yes network

I have direct TV and subscribe to their MLB Extra Innings program. Have had it for 5 years.
I get all the Yankee games except for when they play the Tampa Bay Rays. When they play Tampa, you get the Yankee games on Tampa Bay's TV channel which I believe is 724.
I am an avid Yankee fan too.

Inholmdel

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.