how to get rid of unwanted things

Old 05-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Default how to get rid of unwanted things

My Social Worker granddaughter has told me about a website that could be helpful to many who are in need and those who want to get rid of usable items.

It is freecycle.com a great way to help people who are getting their lives together and in need of the most basic items. It is also a good way to get rid of things you no longer want or need. If you have things to get rid of check it out and help somebody rebuild their life.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Do you mean freecycle.com or freecycle.org?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Golden Sunrise Member
Default Thank you MaryAnn,

I have been meaning to look this up for weeks.

It is freecycle.org - and they have a location in Clermont. Even after donating lots when we moved to our church etc, we still have "stuff" that could help others in need.

Your granddaughter had a great suggestion.

k
Old 06-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Default Always too late

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNNYMARYANN View Post
My Social Worker granddaughter has told me about a website that could be helpful to many who are in need and those who want to get rid of usable items.

It is freecycle.com a great way to help people who are getting their lives together and in need of the most basic items. It is also a good way to get rid of things you no longer want or need. If you have things to get rid of check it out and help somebody rebuild their life.
I used to belong, every time I saw something I wanted, I would email and somebody already beat me to the punch every single time. Same with my husband and several other people I know. Not once, did I ever get anything from Freecycle. As far as having stuff for them, I am told a lot of well-to-do people show up in fancy cars to pick up their "goodies." I am assuming that not all of Freecycle is like that, at least I hope not!!
Old 06-09-2009, 06:26 AM
Administrator

freecycle.com is quite different from freecycles.org.

I agree with Kate. Its freecycle.org.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Location: Wilbur and I live in Ohio 6 mo. and Bradenton, Fl. 6 mo. and want to live in the Villages 12 mo.
Default Freecycle.org

We are Village Wannabees still in Ohio and I am getting rid of unwanted things left and right. My DH was pushing plywood up in the attic, told him I could make that gone. By 5:30 that evening a couple came to pick up the wood. Once your item hits the list you have to pick and choose your person. I feel so much better about this than not knowing where it is going and the people are so happy.

Nanc
Old 01-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Default Yahoo Groups

There is a Freecycle Group in almost every area. It can be found in Yahoo Groups under your location. I gave lots of stuff to people who needed it in both Lady Lake and Central Illinois.

It is a great way to give back!
Old 01-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNNYMARYANN View Post

Hi Sunny,
We've been members of our local Freecycle group for several years. It's purpose is to keep things out of landfills.
We've given away many things and received several things as well. It's not necessarily a charity organization. We look at it as a way to find a home for perfectly good items we've accumulated over the years. Rather than chuck them out or have a yard sale ( I lack the patience for these) I list them and usually someone is happy to have these things.
Here's a bit of their official propaganda.

Welcome! The Freecycle Network™ is made up of 4,873 groups with 6,892,000 members across the globe. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Each local group is moderated by a local volunteer (them's good people). Membership is free. To sign up, find your community by entering it into the search box above or by clicking on “Browse Groups” above the search box. Have fun!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.