The Loss of a Friend

Old 05-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza
Default The Loss of a Friend

This morning I received an email that informed me that Skeets, a friend that I hadn't seen since we were in high school, but have communicated with regularly for a number of years, was in the hospital and was not expected to make it through the week. (< true story) It's ironic that the following was the last email I received from him on March 26 and it makes me wonder if he knew of what he was about to face. I'd like to share that email with you that dog lovers especially will appreciate.
"A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead. He remembered dying, and that the dog walking beside him had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them.

After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble... At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight.

When he was standing before it he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother-of-pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side. When he was close enough, he called out:
'Excuse me, where are we?'

'This is Heaven, sir,' the man answered.. 'Wow! Would you happen to have some water?' the man asked.

Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up. 'The man gestured, and the gate began to open.

'Can my friend,' gesturing toward his dog, 'come in, too?' the traveler asked.
'I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets.'

The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going with his dog. After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road leading through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed. There was no fence. As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book.

'Excuse me!' he called to the man. 'Do you have any water?'

'Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there, come on in.'
'How about my friend here?' the traveler gestured to the dog.
'There should be a bowl by the pump.'

They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old-fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it. The traveler filled the water bowl and took a long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog. When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree..

'What do you call this place?' the traveler asked.

'This is Heaven,' he answered.

'Well, that's confusing,' the traveler said. 'The man down the road said that was Heaven, too.'

'Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates? Nope. That's hell.'

'Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?'

'No, we're just happy that they screen out the folks who would leave their best friends behind.' "

"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"

Last edited by skyguy79; 05-09-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:12 PM

Thank you for the "real story". I love my little creatures too.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Veteran member

That story was a great episode of "The Twilight Zone" about 40 years ago.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Eternal Member

By the responses I'm receiving to my post, it's apparant that people are thinking that I just copied and pasted one of the many emails I receive into my post. Well that's not the case! I really do have a friend named Skeeter that I went to high school with. He's been in an assisted living facility for nearly a few years now and his real name is Richard. I really did receive an email this morning letting me know that he is in a hospital in Troy NY and that he's not expected to make it (live) through the week. I really did receive the email from him about the man and his dog. And it really was the last email I received from him nearly two months ago!

What I didn't do is include the ending of the email that went:
"Soooo...

Sometimes, we wonder why friends keep forwarding jokes to us without writing a word. Maybe this will explain.

When you are very busy, but still want to keep in touch, guess what you do? You forward jokes.

When you have nothing to say, but still want to keep contact, you forward jokes.

When you have something to say, but don't know what, and don't know how, you forward jokes.

Also to let you know that you are still remembered, you are still important, you are still loved, you are still cared for, guess what you get? A forwarded joke.

So, next time if you get a joke, don't think that you've been sent just another forwarded joke, but that you've been thought of today and your friend on the other end of your computer wanted to send you a smile.

You are all welcome @ my water bowl anytime.
Have a great day!!!

Dick, Skeets, Richie"
Please! Need I say any more?
Old 05-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Gold member

Lovely gesture - great email!
Old 05-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Sage

Great story!

Skyguy, I'm sorry that you are losing a friend. He sounds like a wonderful person. Treasure the memories.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
By the responses I'm receiving to my post, it's apparant that people are thinking that I just copied and pasted one of the many emails I receive into my post. Well that's not the case! I really do have a friend named Skeeter that I went to high school with. He's been in an assisted living facility for nearly a few years now and his real name is Richard. I really did receive an email this morning letting me know that he is in a hospital in Troy NY and that he's not expected to make it (live) through the week. I really did receive the email from him about the man and his dog. And it really was the last email I received from him nearly two months ago!

What I didn't do is include the ending of the email that went:
"Soooo...

Sometimes, we wonder why friends keep forwarding jokes to us without writing a word. Maybe this will explain.

When you are very busy, but still want to keep in touch, guess what you do? You forward jokes.

When you have nothing to say, but still want to keep contact, you forward jokes.

When you have something to say, but don't know what, and don't know how, you forward jokes.

Also to let you know that you are still remembered, you are still important, you are still loved, you are still cared for, guess what you get? A forwarded joke.

So, next time if you get a joke, don't think that you've been sent just another forwarded joke, but that you've been thought of today and your friend on the other end of your computer wanted to send you a smile.

You are all welcome @ my water bowl anytime.
Have a great day!!!

Dick, Skeets, Richie"
Please! Need I say any more?
No. Your post says it all. A nice way to keep in touch with people you care about.

Great post and my sympathy to you on your losing a good friend.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:15 PM

Skyguy79
Just read your article on your friend. That was a really nice story.
Lots of good memories. I just called my sister, who lost her only child
to cancer. She also enjoyed it.
I see you have a Gardenia and hope we can be there for one in April of 2013.
It is a long wait.
Hope we can meet you someday at TV

mar/bob
Old 04-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar/bob View Post
Skyguy79
Just read your article on your friend. That was a really nice story.
Lots of good memories. I just called my sister, who lost her only child
to cancer. She also enjoyed it.
I see you have a Gardenia and hope we can be there for one in April of 2013.
It is a long wait.
Hope we can meet you someday at TV

mar/bob
Thanks for your post. As a followup to my original post, Richard "Skeets" died on May 16,2011, just one week after I started this thread. Here's his obit: Richard Suhowatsky Obituary
Old 05-21-2012, 07:00 PM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

I'm very sorry for your loss, Skyguy. I hope you have many good memories of your friend and keep him close at heart. It seems he did that for you...

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Old 05-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodgirl View Post
I'm very sorry for your loss, Skyguy. I hope you have many good memories of your friend and keep him close at heart. It seems he did that for you...
TY! It may seem that he did it for me, but I wasn't the only one he sent it to. I think he may have done it because he realized that his days were numbered, but he didn't realize that it would have come quite that soon!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Gold member
Default Friends

So sorry Skyguy! This just wasn't a good week for our buddies. My thoughts are with you at this sad time.

Herv
Old 05-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
So sorry Skyguy! This just wasn't a good week for our buddies. My thoughts are with you at this sad time.

Herv
Thanks Herv!
Old 05-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Great thoughts Sky - RIP Skeets
Old 05-21-2012, 09:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

They would want you to continue with your enjoyment of YOUR time on this earth. No one knows when the music will stop.

Hugs to you both, Sky and Carguy.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.