Trapping alligators

Old 04-05-2014, 10:17 PM
Default Trapping alligators

Heard on the news tonight that traps have been set for aligators, not for any good reason AT ALL, and then they are killed. IF, in fact, this is true, SHAME on anyone involved in this. First the buffalo, because people couldn't read the warning signs right on the fences!!! And now the aligators that are not bothering anyone. This is ridiculous, and criminal. What can we do to fix this?

Old 04-05-2014, 11:05 PM
Sage

I think the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission knows what it's doing with the 1.3 million gators in the state.
Why does the FWC not relocate nuisance alligators in Florida?

Florida has a healthy and stable alligator population. We have about 1.3 million alligators in Florida. Alligators live in all 67 counties, and they inhabit all wild areas of Florida that can support them. The removal of nuisance alligators does not have a significant impact on our state's alligator population.

Relocated alligators often try to return to their capture site. They can create problems for people or other alligators along the way. If an alligator successfully returns, capturing it again would be necessary and likely more difficult the second time.

To avoid creating a problem at the release site, nuisance alligators would need to be relocated to remote areas where they would not encounter people. These remote areas already have healthy alligator populations, and the ones that already live there have established social structures. The introduction of a new alligator to these areas would likely cause fighting, possibly resulting in the death of a resident alligator or the introduced alligator."

Statewide Nuisance Alligator Program

Old 04-05-2014, 11:06 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Perhaps read the news articles that indicate "The alligators in question have grown increasingly aggressive, according to residents of the neighborhood. They show no fear of humans and have been feasting on birds, ducks and turtles in the little body of water." [ www. villages - news. com/ ]

Old 04-06-2014, 06:40 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Perhaps read the news articles that indicate "The alligators in question have grown increasingly aggressive, according to residents of the neighborhood. They show no fear of humans and have been feasting on birds, ducks and turtles in the little body of water." [ www. villages - news. com/ ]
What else are they supposed to eat?

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

In May of 2008 I did an LSP at the Lakeshore Cottages. In May of 2009 I did an LSP at Creekside. I just figured the moving of the buffalo was an economic decision. Still do in fact.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:07 AM

I say leave the gators alone in every way..The were here first..IMHO

Old 04-06-2014, 08:58 AM

I agree. People need to hold the hands of their grandchildren, keep dogs on leash, and not disobey signs posted on fences. We also need to be diligent. Will go see the buffalo as well. I really do miss them where they used to be.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiee View Post
Yea, and don't kill the lovebugs either. They might have been here before the alligators.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:14 AM
Veteran member
Default Trapping Alligators, LOL

With tongue-in-cheek, here's a news report I'd like to see:

Nuisance Villagers removal effort planned

Using offers of free beer and Budweiser Clydesdale visits as bait, VCCD and local police authorities intend to round up, trap and remove Villagers exhibiting aggressive behavior. Villagers in question show no fear of driving drunk and without seat belts, talking loud, cutting in line, and other threatening kinds of conduct. Villagers saving dozens of chairs at a time for town-square events are also a concern, especially to potential buyers who can't find a place to sit. Authorities say aggressive, older Villagers will be relocated to memory care facilities. Those under age 55 will be fed to alligators that are an important part of the charm and ecology in the area.

And now for something completely sarcastic (credit TheOnion.com

Uncool Zookeeper Won't Let Anyone Ride Gorillas
BROOKFIELD, IL—Despite heartfelt pleas, Janice Petrone, a totally lame and uncool zookeeper at the Brookfield Zoo, repeatedly told a group of area sixth graders Monday that they were not allowed to ride on the backs of the western lowland gorillas.
"The silverback's natural instinct is to protect his troop," said Petrone, who has probably never taken a risk in her entire boring life. "He would beat his chest, bare his teeth, and then charge at you as soon as you entered the enclosure."
Petrone, a loser who hates fun, also told the kids they were not permitted to swim with the sharks, race the cheetahs, or punch the giraffes.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
So were the American Indians

Old 04-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
In May of 2008 I did an LSP at the Lakeshore Cottages. In May of 2009 I did an LSP at Creekside. I just figured the moving of the buffalo was an economic decision. Still do in fact.

You are right of course. Many landholders EVERYWHERE keep livestock on unused lands because it puts it into agriculture instead of residential status
and drops the tax fees some. I am sure that is what the Morses did but I do believe that the founder, Harold Schwartz was fond of them.

BUT the straw that broke the camels back was when folks ignored the DOUBLE fencing and would bring their grandkids up close and personal to feed these big hairy critters carrots and that was o.k. until it got to be time for the buffalo's to be moms and that made them ornery and protective and dangerous. You would think with the hue and cry of moving them that a lot of folks moved here for the buffalo. AND that may be true but I am not one of them. They aren't domestic pets and they don't get me feeling like I would like to take them home.

Like I feel about Brad Pitt, don't cha know?

Old 04-06-2014, 09:53 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post

Using offers of free beer and Budweiser Clydesdale visits as bait, VCCD and local police authorities intend to round up, trap and remove Villagers exhibiting aggressive behavior. Villagers in question show no fear of driving drunk and without seat belts, talking loud, cutting in line, and other threatening kinds of conduct. Villagers saving dozens of chairs at a time for town-square events are also a concern, especially to potential buyers who can't find a place to sit. Authorities say aggressive, older Villagers will be relocated to memory care facilities. Those under age 55 will be fed to alligators that are an important part of the charm and ecology in the area.

BROOKFIELD, IL—Despite heartfelt pleas, Janice Petrone, a totally lame and uncool zookeeper at the Brookfield Zoo, repeatedly told a group of area sixth graders Monday that they were not allowed to ride on the backs of the western lowland gorillas.
"The silverback's natural instinct is to protect his troop," said Petrone, who has probably never taken a risk in her entire boring life. "He would beat his chest, bare his teeth, and then charge at you as soon as you entered the enclosure."
Petrone, a loser who hates fun, also told the kids they were not permitted to swim with the sharks, race the cheetahs, or punch the giraffes.
I like both of these articles. Pretty funny!

Old 04-06-2014, 01:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post

LOL

Old 04-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Platinum member
Smile Food and clothing

Quote:

The nuisance alligators are a source of food and clothing. With a gator population of about 1.3 million in Florida alone it is not as if they were an endangered species.

Besides which, the nuisance alligator program provides us with food and clothing. The alligator tail meat is sold in local restaurants and the hides are made into purses, belts, shoes and boots.

If you object to the killing of nuisance alligators I'd be willing to bet that you are opposed to most, if not all, hunting of any kind.

Right?

Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	gator hide boots.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	37296   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	gator tail bites.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	37297  

Old 04-06-2014, 02:21 PM
Sage

Problem is in the Villages they are not following the state rules of nuisance gaters nor the state rules on length. In the villages the rule is get rid of any gater regardless of nuisance if it will help keep our friendliest home town reputation safe.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.