Trapping alligators

Old 04-06-2014, 02:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
Problem is in the Villages they are not following the state rules of nuisance gaters nor the state rules on length. In the villages the rule is get rid of any gater regardless of nuisance if it will help keep our friendliest home town reputation safe.
I thought the gators in TV had to be 4 ft or larger to be declared a nuisance?
Old 04-06-2014, 02:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
The nuisance alligators are a source of food and clothing. With a gator population of about 1.3 million in Florida alone it is not as if they were an endangered species.

Besides which, the nuisance alligator program provides us with food and clothing. The alligator tail meat is sold in local restaurants and the hides are made into purses, belts, shoes and boots.

If you object to the killing of nuisance alligators I'd be willing to bet that you are opposed to most, if not all, hunting of any kind.

Right?

Gotta agree. No different than killing cows for food and leather.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

For your enlightenment. From the Orlando Sentinel. Happened in Leesburg.

Alligator attacks, rips arm off elderly woman in Florida; gator trapped, killed - Worldnews.com
Old 04-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I blame Bambi. That's right I blame Bambi. Ever since Disney did that Bambi movie in the 1950's kids have been haunted by the prospect of hunting animals and they in turn passed that onto their offspring and their offspring to their offspring................As a result we have a national problem with an over population of deer, wolves, bison and alligators, etc. This over population is having a negative financial affect to farmers, ranchers, etc and is having a negative affect on forests, grazing lands, etc. Bears are finding their way to bedroom communities.

The bison at Lake Sumter Landing were always slated to be move and used as a tax strategy for those lands until the Developer was ready to develop the property. The lawsuit story was a red herring because it was anticipated that people would be disappointed that the bison were moved.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
For your enlightenment. From the Orlando Sentinel. Happened in Leesburg.

Alligator attacks, rips arm off elderly woman in Florida; gator trapped, killed - Worldnews.com
I understand your concern, but that was not the fault of the gater. Maybe it is part of natures plan "survival of the fittest". I feel sorry for the Old Woman, but don't kill all wildlife that takes advantage of the week or the old.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:50 PM
Platinum member
Post Let's be logical

Quote:
I understand your concern, but that was not the fault of the gater. Maybe it is part of natures plan "survival of the fittest". I feel sorry for the Old Woman, but don't kill all wildlife that takes advantage of the week or the old.
By what aberration of logical thought was it "not the fault of the gator" and how do you glean that from the article as published?

Just because the elderly woman was found in the water does not mean that she had been in the water prior to the attack. Gators commonly come on land, grab their prey and take it into the water. That's why pet owners are cautioned to keep them away from waterside where gators are known to frequent.

Besides which, the 17 year old boy who lost an arm, mentioned in the same article was attacked while swimming. Do you suggest that there be no more swimming in the non-coastal waters of Florida? Was his loss also "not the fault of the gator?"

I guess we should also not swim in Florida's coastal waters since there are sharks in those waters.

-----------------

"Don't kill all the wildlife that takes advantage of the weak or the old?" ARE YOU KIDDING? There are 1.3 million alligators in the state of Florida. I would kill as many as it takes to keep humans safe. There is no place among us for nuisance alligators.

Besides which..........................they are tasty.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:36 PM
Platinum member
Thumbs down Not a rule.

Quote:
Problem is in the Villages they are not following the state rules of nuisance gaters nor the state rules on length. In the villages the rule is get rid of any gater regardless of nuisance if it will help keep our friendliest home town reputation safe.
The four foot length is not a rule, but a guideline.

From the state web site discussion of the nuisance alligator program: "Occasionally, alligators less than 4 feet in length are legitimate problems and must be addressed."

If an alligator has lost its fear of humans it is a nuisance no matter what its length.

---------------------------

What is the researchable source of your allegation that in TV it is "the rule" to get rid of any gator regardless of nuisance?" It sounds more like opinion than rule.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Platinum member
Exclamation Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I blame Bambi. That's right I blame Bambi. Ever since Disney did that Bambi movie in the 1950's kids have been haunted by the prospect of hunting animals and they in turn passed that onto their offspring and their offspring to their offspring................As a result we have a national problem with an over population of deer, wolves, bison and alligators, etc. This over population is having a negative financial affect to farmers, ranchers, etc and is having a negative affect on forests, grazing lands, etc. Bears are finding their way to bedroom communities.

The bison at Lake Sumter Landing were always slated to be move and used as a tax strategy for those lands until the Developer was ready to develop the property. The lawsuit story was a red herring because it was anticipated that people would be disappointed that the bison were moved.
You are correct in your Bambi analysis. Except the movie was released in 1942, not in the 1950s.

And you are correct about the overpopulation and its negative effects. However, in defense of Walt Disney, in the 1930s the deer population of the United States had been reduced to about 300,000 due to commercial exploitation of deer. Laws were passed to stop commercial use of deer products and the current estimated deer population of the U.S. is 30 million. Perhaps it is time to lengthen the deer season and raise the bag limit.

One wonders why Disney's glorification of Mickey Mouse didn't result in a similar cry for protection of rodents. But, wait! Did it?

I recall the story of a man who was charged with killing a rat that was raiding his tomato patch. Man Faces Charges After Killing a Rat - NYTimes.com

The good news is that the charges were later dropped.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Gold member

I wonder how many folks bemoaning the mistreatment of the gators own and love a cat. Cats are responsible for the deaths of 1.4 to 3.7 billion birds and 6.9 to 20.7 billion mammals every year, according to research conducted by the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. A cat is, however, no match for a gator....well, except this one.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
I wonder how many folks bemoaning the mistreatment of the gators own and love a cat. Cats are responsible for the deaths of 1.4 to 3.7 billion birds and 6.9 to 20.7 billion mammals every year, according to research conducted by the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. A cat is, however, no match for a gator....well, except this one.

I was so entranced with the ad I could hardly go on to the main event.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I was so entranced with the ad I could hardly go on to the main event.
I didn't get the benefit of an ad. I must not fit the demographic.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:31 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
The nuisance alligators are a source of food and clothing. With a gator population of about 1.3 million in Florida alone it is not as if they were an endangered species.

Besides which, the nuisance alligator program provides us with food and clothing. The alligator tail meat is sold in local restaurants and the hides are made into purses, belts, shoes and boots.

If you object to the killing of nuisance alligators I'd be willing to bet that you are opposed to most, if not all, hunting of any kind.

Right?

I have to admit if it wasn't for the occasional nuisance alligator I wouldn't get to enjoy fried tail with my bud light during football season.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:23 PM
Platinum member
Default Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
Don't get carried away by the out-of-focus video. It isn't a housecat, it is a Florida Panther. Big cats do attack gators.

They enjoy gator meat too.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:34 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Yea, and don't kill the lovebugs either. They might have been here before the alligators.
Roaches also.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Gotta agree. No different than killing cows for food and leather.

Wrong - cows, sheep, and pigs are farm animals raised to be human food. Alligators, for the most part, are not domesticated farm animals but wild animals trying to survive.

The local restaurants selling alligator meat do that mainly as a tourist thing.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.