We are finally coming down to puchase a home!!!!!

Old 06-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Smile We're Coming Too!

Time to add two more to the Cincinnati Train. School is out on Friday and we are leaving at noon. We will close on our a Pre-owned home in Caroline on Monday. We've been checking out TV for over 5 years, and reading all the terrific information on TOTV since I found the site in January. In fact, we came down and bought a piece sand on Triggerfish Run last March, but it didn't seem just right. Saw this preowned on my daily Village check in and had to have it! We have one more year to work, but couldn't wait any longer.

Thank you all for your informative dialogue. I've been glued to my computer learning and "listening" to your chatter about Paridise. Count us in and wish us luck owning from a distance.

It's not the way we planned it, but since I've read some sad tales about getting rid of the home up north, I really can't compalin. We put our house on the mark to test the waters and sold in 2 days. Teaching school by day and packing up at night made for a difficult 6 weeks, but we moved into a high rise in Mt Adams and we are having a ball "living on the hill."

Thanks again for the support and all the inside information!
See you on Saturday

PS Where is the spell check?
Old 06-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by memosmom View Post
Time to add two more to the Cincinnati Train. School is out on Friday and we are leaving at noon. We will close on our a Pre-owned home in Caroline on Monday. We've been checking out TV for over 5 years, and reading all the terrific information on TOTV since I found the site in January. In fact, we came down and bought a piece sand on Triggerfish Run last March, but it didn't seem just right. Saw this preowned on my daily Village check in and had to have it! We have one more year to work, but couldn't wait any longer.

Thank you all for your informative dialogue. I've been glued to my computer learning and "listening" to your chatter about Paridise. Count us in and wish us luck owning from a distance.

It's not the way we planned it, but since I've read some sad tales about getting rid of the home up north, I really can't compalin. We put our house on the mark to test the waters and sold in 2 days. Teaching school by day and packing up at night made for a difficult 6 weeks, but we moved into a high rise in Mt Adams and we are having a ball "living on the hill."

See you on Saturday

OMIGOSH. Congratulations Memosmom!!! Another Cincinnatian heading toward Paradise. Whoever is last to leave, turn the lights off.

We are having things made spiffy to put our home on the market soon. AND as soon as this mess is cleaned up from the workers and painters, Memosmom and Salybow and Gigene and Kathy and Boomer will be invited to come to West Chester to our house for lunch.

Anyone else hiding out there from Ohio making plans? You are invited too!
Old 06-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Should i bring a st. Joseph statue

Gracie, When I come for lunch should I bring St. Joseph with me. We actually have two friends down there who are from Greater Cincinnati also. How fun!!! Sally
Old 06-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Gold member

Well, I USED to live in greater Cincinnati (Fairfield) in the 1970s and one of my children is a Cincinnati native (born at Christ Hospital). Does that count? And we are on our way down to be Florida residents and snowbirds this fall.

I am actually coming down this weekend for a quick 2 week visit to get some more things done to our courtyard villa - mostly thanks to all I've learned on TOTV.

This time we're going to have cabinets installed in the laundry room, change out the bi-fold door on the pantry to a regular one so I can put shelving on the inside of the door (and I hate bi-fold doors), get an estimate from IES for some window tinting film, and the usual - a/c check up, pressure wash siding, probably replace plants that I planted in April to replace ones that died this past winter and have now probably died from the heat and lack of rain (for some reason I can't seem to wait until I move).

Sounds like there will be some additions to the Ohio club, perhaps.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:59 PM

Question...
Did you have to get a larger lot to accommodate your lanai extention?
Old 06-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
Well, I USED to live in greater Cincinnati (Fairfield) in the 1970s and one of my children is a Cincinnati native (born at Christ Hospital). Does that count?
I've been to Cincinnati. I'm sure that's where I'd be from if I weren't from ATL.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
Well, I USED to live in greater Cincinnati (Fairfield) in the 1970s and one of my children is a Cincinnati native (born at Christ Hospital). Does that count? And we are on our way down to be Florida residents and snowbirds this fall.

I am actually coming down this weekend for a quick 2 week visit to get some more things done to our courtyard villa - mostly thanks to all I've learned on TOTV.

This time we're going to have cabinets installed in the laundry room, change out the bi-fold door on the pantry to a regular one so I can put shelving on the inside of the door (and I hate bi-fold doors), get an estimate from IES for some window tinting film, and the usual - a/c check up, pressure wash siding, probably replace plants that I planted in April to replace ones that died this past winter and have now probably died from the heat and lack of rain (for some reason I can't seem to wait until I move).

Sounds like there will be some additions to the Ohio club, perhaps.
It sure does count. As soon as the ladders leave, I'll issue an invitation. What do you drink?
Old 06-03-2010, 07:07 AM
Gold member
Default not too picky

pretty much anything with ice cubes, this time of year . . .
Old 02-07-2011, 01:33 PM

stucco is cooler in the summer, easier to maintain temp, it does need paint over time but the semi-annual powerwashing costs of siding are roughly equal
Old 02-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLew View Post
stucco is cooler in the summer, easier to maintain temp, it does need paint over time but the semi-annual powerwashing costs of siding are roughly equal
ummm............ power washing costs $35 to $50 bucks a crack.

We just had our house painted up north and it's beans and weenies for awhile!
Old 02-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
ummm............ power washing costs $35 to $50 bucks a crack.

We just had our house painted up north and it's beans and weenies for awhile!
You crack me up! "...it's beans and weenies for a while" - I'm still laughing!!! Funny stuff!

Bill
Old 04-02-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
:We are leaving this Friday to travel to TV. We are going to buy a home while we are there. I have a few questions and I know I will get good advise here.

First, what are the pros and cons of Siding vs Stucco. We are leaning to Stucco but there are sure some cute homestyles in siding. What is needed for maintenance on each type. What are the drawbacks. I have heard there is a problem with siding. Does it still exist. I once got lactic acidosis and only had a 1/3 million chance of getting it. If I purchase siding, my house would probably be the one effected. IS this still an issue?

Since our friends are all south of 466 we will probably go that route. I thought it might be advantageous to stay close to Canal Street. Yes or no...or does it matter? Where is the New town square located. I am sure it is on here somewhere but can't seem to find it.

Is there anything I can't live without... or will be sorry I did? Golf cart garage or no? Anything I am not thinking of? Thanks in advance. If you see a short, pleasing but quite plump, medium blonde grinning from ear to ear this weekend and the next week, it will be me, Say HI. Sally
Sally, they got off your original question, but that's easy to do here! We were thinking stucco at first, but I'm not as concerned about that. Now that I have my favorite courses (Hacienda, Tierra, Mallory, Havana) we are looking for something on Morse, either North or just South of 466. We have stayed off Canal, and to get to Morse we had to go South to Odell, which was out of the way, or go North to Stillwater, but you have to go left and under the tunnel on Buena Vista and then back to Morse (another out of the way). So we are looking at location first, then hopefully something in our price range. Would love a golf cart garage for the added space, but that is down on the list.

Brownwood will be a good ways away from most everyone now, except Hemingway and maybe Duval or those back towards 466A.

We have heard multiple times that the average Villager moves 3 times. My guess is once they developed favorite courses, friends, or activities they decided to move closer or more convenient to those things. IMHO.

SO, I would suggest finding a house or villa in your price range, keeping in mind the ease of getting to your priority places, i.e. friends, squares, golf, etc.

Just my "2-cents"!! I'm envious that you are closer to being permanent than we are, but I'm still excited for you nevertheless!!!
Old 04-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memosmom View Post

See you on Saturday

This thread came back today and I was reading through it again. I came across this one and thought, "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?" Memason's not from Cinnci and he didn't buy a pre-owned home in Caroline.

Then I noticed it said "memosmom" not memason.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbama View Post
Sally, they got off your original question, but that's easy to do here! We were thinking stucco at first, but I'm not as concerned about that. Now that I have my favorite courses (Hacienda, Tierra, Mallory, Havana) we are looking for something on Morse, either North or just South of 466.
I hear you but how do you know that your favorite course is even built yet? There are three more regulation and 8? more execs to be built south of 466A.

Good luck with your search.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
This thread came back today and I was reading through it again. I came across this one and thought, "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?" Memason's not from Cinnci and he didn't buy a pre-owned home in Caroline.

Then I noticed it said "memosmom" not memason.

WHEW..... that was close!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.