Windows 10 Advice needed

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2016, 08:16 AM
Default Windows 10 Advice needed

I was given a new hp computer which has windows 10 installed in it, for my birthday. My question , is windows 10 safe? are the problems out of windows 10? If there are still problems with it. l can return it. If l return it, any suggestions on what to get. I am still using windows XP. Also is windows 10 computer compatible with my old hp printer model F4280.
Thanks for all help
Old 06-22-2016, 08:55 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

My IT guys are been pushing me to W-10. I finally went there a few months ago. I was an XP man for years. W-10 is just trying to be more friendly and easy to use. The only reason it's not is because it is "new".

The IT boys are very comfortable with W-10 security. It's been out long enough to get thru most technical issues......there will probably be more.

I'm doing fine on it and my printers have all be operating.

Good Luck.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:07 AM
Sage
Default Windows 10 Advice needed

I suggest sticking with 10. You'll get through the learning curve, and security and device support is good.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Plug in your printer, I did this when I was at a friends house, found the driver and all was good!
Old 06-22-2016, 09:32 AM
Sage

For some folks it is a bit of a leap but since you are getting a new system anyway, you might want to consider getting an Apple system; an iMac if you want a desktop system or one of the flavors of MacBooks if you prefer a laptop. One of the nice features is for less than $100 you can get a 3-year extended warranty which includes unlimited phone support if you can't figure out how to do something (by people in the US). My wife used it pretty extensively (as opposed to waiting for me to be available). The Apple systems carry a higher cost but many people feel it is worth it. I have a Windows7 laptop for work (no choice), an iMac, and a laptop running Ubuntu Linux. I prefer the iMac and Ubuntu environments. Another option is go with a tablet such as an IPad or a Chromebook. Regardless of whatever you decide, with some time you will figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybeanrt View Post
I was given a new hp computer which has windows 10 installed in it, for my birthday. My question , is windows 10 safe? are the problems out of windows 10? If there are still problems with it. l can return it. If l return it, any suggestions on what to get. I am still using windows XP. Also is windows 10 computer compatible with my old hp printer model F4280.
Thanks for all help
Old 06-22-2016, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

It definitely has a learning curve.
And what I found to be disappointing is the lack of a tutorial of some sort highlighting changes like .....in Windows 7 your control panel was accessed thus and so and now on Windows 10 it is this way (for example).

The other disappointment is the loss of Office 10 which was not tranferred over to Windows 10.

For the above reasons I have been using my laptop with Windows 10 for a transition, wait and see, hunt and peck device.

I still conduct all my serious business on the desk top with Windows 7.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:20 AM
Gold member

My wife presently has Windows XP but because of some problems she is having with XP wants to upgrade to Windows 10. My question is regarding her data, emails etc. I don't know if installing W10 will eliminate her data? I plan to do a backup prior to this but would rather have her data remain intact after the change.

Thanx

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 06-22-2016, 11:23 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDog View Post
My wife presently has Windows XP but because of some problems she is having with XP wants to upgrade to Windows 10. My question is regarding her data, emails etc. I don't know if installing W10 will eliminate her data? I plan to do a backup prior to this but would rather have her data remain intact after the change.

Thanx

John
Good idea to back-up..................sh^t happens.

100% of everything remained intact for me. I know of ~20 people who upgraded and 100% of their data remained.

Back-up, take a deep breath and go for it.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:11 PM

using win 10 for about a year from free download (no CD avail for a reload). problems now! start menu will not appear. groping online for a fix.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:38 PM

Windows 10 on is a good operating system I have been using it on 6 machines all upgrades for up to almost a year now. Love it.

On a new machine Windows 10 is a very OS and should not cause you the problems that you have heard about with upgrades.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:42 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

I love Windows 10! It is a different tool bar, but very user friendly. The printer screen shows up when you click the top right icon beside the Skype icon. Just a sample of the difference.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:58 AM
Veteran member

Having worked on a lot of different systems since 1969, including IBM mainframes, one of the first IBM PCs, Apple IIs, a whole bunch of stuff nobody ever heard of, I discovered the Chromebook while working for Best Buy. I use it 99.99% of the time. I do use a laptop for Quicken and Turbo Tax, but in a few years I won't need either and won't need a PC. The Chromebook can't use Windows programs, but 99.99% of the time I do stuff on the web, FB, Email, Banking , etc.

The Chromebook, starts up in about 15 seconds, the operating system updates, if needed, when you start it up. Since it downs loads the system from the Google web site you never get a virus.

It comes with "Docs" which can read Word docs, "Sheets" for Excel and something for Powerpoint.

Your files are stored on Google Drive. If you lose your Chromebook, no problem, get a new one, sign in and your back where you were.

One problem, it only uses a wireless printer (or one that goes though a PC like I do, because I'm too cheap to buy a new one right now).

I go to the Villages Computer Club and hear story after story from people trying to deal with Windows, don't bother, get a Chromebook and make your life easier.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:55 AM
Gold member

I did the upgrade from 7 to 10 with no issues at all. Now that I am comfortable with it I like it. Mostly I use my MacBook Air though.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Having worked on a lot of different systems since 1969, including IBM mainframes, one of the first IBM PCs, Apple IIs, a whole bunch of stuff nobody ever heard of, I discovered the Chromebook while working for Best Buy. I use it 99.99% of the time. I do use a laptop for Quicken and Turbo Tax, but in a few years I won't need either and won't need a PC. The Chromebook can't use Windows programs, but 99.99% of the time I do stuff on the web, FB, Email, Banking , etc.

The Chromebook, starts up in about 15 seconds, the operating system updates, if needed, when you start it up. Since it downs loads the system from the Google web site you never get a virus.

It comes with "Docs" which can read Word docs, "Sheets" for
Excel and something for Powerpoint.

Your files are stored on Google Drive. If you lose your Chromebook, no problem, get a new one, sign in and your back where you were.

One problem, it only uses a wireless printer (or one that goes though a PC like I do, because I'm too cheap to buy a new one
right now).

I go to the Villages Computer Club and hear story after story from people trying to deal with Windows, don't bother, get a Chromebook and make your life easier.
I installed Chrome as a web browser which is much faster then the Microsoft Edge. How do we get Chromebook?
Old 06-25-2016, 09:22 AM
Platinum member

Upgraded from 7 to 10 on my desktop, gamer computer, too many problems so I took it off. That was when it first came out. Re -installed it this week with no problems. I do use a chromebook for all my computing and love it. Have kept the desktop as a reminder of the old computer days and windows.
Closed Thread

Tags
windows, problems, return, computer, f4280

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.