HP Envy Problems

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2017, 03:03 PM
Sage
Default HP Envy Problems

I have been having trouble for a while with my HP Envy laptop. It locks up, the hour glass spins, the montior was dim, I have google problems, have to reboot a lot, it taking forever to turn on in the morning and boot up. It was so slow moving between pages also. Just really thinking it was serious and needed replacing. It is about 3 years old but was pretty expensive and I had hoped it would last longer.

The last thing I thought of was the battery needing replacing as it is pretty much plugged in all the time. As a last ditch effort today I replaced the battery. It is now running like a brand new computer. Fast, smooth and no hiccups. I am amazed that just low battery power could cause all of those problems being that it was plugged in all the time. Any comments on this?
Old 02-27-2017, 08:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
I have been having trouble for a while with my HP Envy laptop. It locks up, the hour glass spins, the montior was dim, I have google problems, have to reboot a lot, it taking forever to turn on in the morning and boot up. It was so slow moving between pages also. Just really thinking it was serious and needed replacing. It is about 3 years old but was pretty expensive and I had hoped it would last longer.

The last thing I thought of was the battery needing replacing as it is pretty much plugged in all the time. As a last ditch effort today I replaced the battery. It is now running like a brand new computer. Fast, smooth and no hiccups. I am amazed that just low battery power could cause all of those problems being that it was plugged in all the time. Any comments on this?
Looks like it runs off the battery at all times and the battery is charged when plugged in. Could it be the 3 year old battery was OK and the problem is the battery charger?? Time will tell.

Could it be the plug is on a wall switch and it is off and the battery never was charged?
Old 02-27-2017, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

My HP 17" laptop died after exactly 4 years, I purchased it new at Best Buy. I'm told that all laptops will eventually die. I didn't have even have time to save anything new, the screen just went black.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:38 AM

Last I had heard, I believe from the Geeks as well as an independent repair guy, was that a laptop should not remain plugged in all of the time as the continual charging reduces the life of the battery. I typically let my Dell run down to the point where a pop-up indicates that there is 10% more charge remaining and it is time to plug it in.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:54 AM
Sage

This is interesting I didn't know that. I will take it off the power and see if the battery charger is working properly. Did you try changing out the battery for the one that went black? I think I paid only about $20 ish dollars for this battery on Amazon. Might be worth a try.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
This is interesting I didn't know that. I will take it off the power and see if the battery charger is working properly. Did you try changing out the battery for the one that went black? I think I paid only about $20 ish dollars for this battery on Amazon. Might be worth a try.
OK, good idea.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:23 PM
Sage

Yes, that has been pretty much my experience. My laptop is in a docking station, plugged in 24x7. The battery was pretty much toast after 3 years. However, not a big deal - my company sent me another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
Last I had heard, I believe from the Geeks as well as an independent repair guy, was that a laptop should not remain plugged in all of the time as the continual charging reduces the life of the battery. I typically let my Dell run down to the point where a pop-up indicates that there is 10% more charge remaining and it is time to plug it in.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:44 PM
Sage

I got my laptop back out since I haven't been able to use it for a year and a half. When I plugged it in, the fan and the power light comes on. So I was thinking, that doesn't sound like a battery problem. I wrote my problem online and found on a website that someone else posted they had the same problem, black screen but fan and lights work.

One poster wrote before turning on the power, open the lid as far as you can, which I did, then turn on the power. Guess what, my computer now works, and looking at the replies about 10 other people fixed their computer the same way. So it's not a battery, it's probably not even a software problem, some kind of hardware problem.

Hp pavilion has black screen problem [Solved]
Old 02-27-2017, 07:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I got my laptop back out since I haven't been able to use it for a year and a half. When I plugged it in, the fan and the power light comes on. So I was thinking, that doesn't sound like a battery problem. I wrote my problem online and found on a website that someone else posted they had the same problem, black screen but fan and lights work.

One poster wrote before turning on the power, open the lid as far as you can, which I did, then turn on the power. Guess what, my computer now works, and looking at the replies about 10 other people fixed their computer the same way. So it's not a battery, it's probably not even a software problem, some kind of hardware problem.

Hp pavilion has black screen problem [Solved]
That's very exciting to get it back after a year and a half!!
Old 02-27-2017, 10:40 PM
Veteran member

I have an HP Envy all in one and I get a warning that "Windows " had detected a problem with the fan and it shuts down. Thank God for Dropbox. I did what I had to do on my RELIABE IPad I think I am going to look at a MAC replacement
Old 02-27-2017, 10:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinp View Post
I have an HP Envy all in one and I get a warning that "Windows " had detected a problem with the fan and it shuts down. Thank God for Dropbox. I did what I had to do on my RELIABE IPad I think I am going to look at a MAC replacement
Here is some info about your fan issue. I also have fan issues and mine will just start sounding really loud for a few minutes. Sounds like mine needs cleaning.

HP Notebook PCs - System Fan (90b) error message on startup | HP(R) Customer Support
Closed Thread

Tags
battery, problems, plugged, time, envy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.