I upgraded (?) to Windows 10

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2016, 06:39 PM

Most of us IT guys never stayed with 8.1 because it was so terrible (worse than 7 32bit)...but, if you make your backround just a nice solid black the "pretty" will never bother you again (and speed up your system slightly).
Old 05-02-2016, 05:12 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I'm not the worse or the best when it comes to computers. Its my way of saying I know enough to get myself into trouble but not enough to get myself out.

Its my understanding that windows 7 will be maintained until 2020. By then if not before I will need/ a new or want a new computer.

The confusion demonstrated on this thread convinces me that I don't want to risk an upgrade that is only going to confuse me more

Windows keeps sending me messages to upgrade now or at a scheduled future time . I keep sending a message "back that says "close window"
Old 05-02-2016, 07:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Rubicon, be not afraid. 10 is not hard at all to use it is just different. I like you am not the best or the worst when it comes to computers. I updated my wife's computer to Windows 10. There were issues but it was only time that was needed to get the computer up to snuff. The real answer to ending all updating problems is Apple. My phones and tablets are Samsung Android because of familiarity and comfort but mainly $$Price$$. The main desktop computer is a Mac. I almost returned it 5 years ago because I was struggling with accepting the price difference. Mac $1700, Dell $750. My wife convinced me to keep the Mac, between you and I maybe I should listen to her more often. Mac provides all updates immediately and although lengthy very simple to install with zero anxiety. Bada Bing Bada Boom Done!
Old 05-02-2016, 07:56 AM
Sage
Default I upgraded (?) to Windows 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
...10 is not hard at all to use it is just different...
What Nucky said.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I'm not the worse or the best when it comes to computers. Its my way of saying I know enough to get myself into trouble but not enough to get myself out.

Its my understanding that windows 7 will be maintained until 2020. By then if not before I will need/ a new or want a new computer.

The confusion demonstrated on this thread convinces me that I don't want to risk an upgrade that is only going to confuse me more

Windows keeps sending me messages to upgrade now or at a scheduled future time . I keep sending a message "back that says "close window"
My sentiments exactly.
To me a user friendly upgrade should not involve having to learn where the day to day high use personal and basic controls are located....or how to find them again...etc.

Sorta like when Firefox upgrades, the new improved application is not discernable to the way one uses it or where the information is located.

If it ain't broke as the saying goes....and for me I have decided Windows 7 is 100% sufficient.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:23 AM
Sage

If you don't like Windows 10 you have 30 days to go back to 7. That's what my husband did. He couldn't understand Windows 10 at all and claimed it "installed itself". It lost his Solitaire and messed up his "500" game, among other annoying things.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:28 AM
Sage

We have two system: a Windows 7 laptop that I use for work (for ssh sessions into linux clusters for software development and office productivity apps) and my wife has an iMac. The laptop will never be upgraded by my IT department beyond Windows 7 security patches. My wife's iMac is trivial to upgrade, either major or minor releases of the OS. We always keep it at the latest release of the OS. I believe there are few people who would go back to a Windows box after using a Mac. If there was a software package that is not natively available for the Mac OS you can always run a Windows emulator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post

Old 05-02-2016, 09:43 AM
Sage

I suspect that those instances where Win10 "installed itself" were times when either the user responded to the notice that there were updates to install and just clicked OK. Microsoft at some point put the Win10 upgrade in the list of updates, so if you have the system set to install updates automatically, or just click OK when notified, you just upgraded to 10. That's why I always set mine to notify me when updates are available, but let me choose what and when to install them.

Like others, I upgraded to 10 and went back to 7, mostly because some of my drivers wouldn't play nice with 10. I waited until after the first patches came out in November and upgraded in January. One of the things I didn't like at first was the tiles, but I have now moved the links to frequently used programs to the tiles and deleted a lot of tiles I didn't like/use. It is easier to click on Start and select the program I want to use while in another program instead of minimizing it to get to the desktop and selecting the second program.

If you right click on the start icon, it brings up a menu where you will find your Control Panel and other control links, so they are there, just accessed in a different way.

Google Solitaire for Win10 or other programs you think are lost in the upgrade. There are ways to bring these back.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:20 PM

The Villages Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I was struggling with accepting the price difference.
LOL, thus the reason why Apple is a VERY small percentage of systems in business. Even lower at the server level.

That, and the reason that MOST people overspend by over 100% than what they need to on a system. You can get a GREAT laptop for $400 +/-. Max it out at 16GB of memory for another $50.00 and an SSD for another $200...done. So, for about $650.00 you get an awesome system MUCH faster than most new $1000+ retail systems. Then, you get Office 365 for $10 a month that includes all the online storage you will ever need as well as Office.

The "computer guys" will claim otherwise...but, most have NO IDEA what they are talking about (the same people get a Z06 and think because they have a car they can drive fast (safely))...pathetic really.

The Villages Florida

Last edited by Record10ti; 05-02-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:47 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Outlook 2003....does Microsoft even support that anymore?
I'm sure they have not supported Office 2003 and Outlook for years but that does not matter because they still work and are good enough for my very basic needs.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704 View Post
I'm sure they have not supported Office 2003 and Outlook for years but that does not matter because they still work and are good enough for my very basic needs.
I agree that is the case for 99% of the home computer users...but, new is new right? Oh wait, it is much easier to change fonts now....

All you need to open any file from a newer system is the Compatibility Pack
Old 05-03-2016, 06:10 AM
Sage

Speed is hardly ever an issue for most users around here, people who do video editing notwithstanding. Buying more hardware than is needed is a common mistake, such as 16 Gbytes of memory instead of 4 or 8 GBytes. People who need a lot of memory know they need a lot of memory, everyone else doesn't. Paying for more internet bandwidth than they need is another mistake. Remember folks, any advice you get on this forum is worth exactly what you paid for it ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Record10ti View Post
The Villages Florida

LOL, thus the reason why Apple is a VERY small percentage of systems in business. Even lower at the server level.

That, and the reason that MOST people overspend by over 100% than what they need to on a system. You can get a GREAT laptop for $400 +/-. Max it out at 16GB of memory for another $50.00 and an SSD for another $200...done. So, for about $650.00 you get an awesome system MUCH faster than most new $1000+ retail systems. Then, you get Office 365 for $10 a month that includes all the online storage you will ever need as well as Office.

The "computer guys" will claim otherwise...but, most have NO IDEA what they are talking about (the same people get a Z06 and think because they have a car they can drive fast (safely))...pathetic really.

The Villages Florida
Old 05-03-2016, 06:23 AM

Biker1 - Booting your computer is important for everyone. SSD is not just speed, it is stability. How many folks in TV do you suppose drop their laptop off of their lap? I have shot systems off of my car seat - both with HDD and SSD...SSD, I keep working. HDD I go to recover my data more often than not.

In your scenario, why not just use bare minimums everywhere? That said, hang out at BestBuy or some of the other computer stores and see what they are "selling"...more than often the total is well into $1200+ for a Windows based systems, with far less "Speed" than my example from CDW. (selling on "Smoke and Fears"). The memory also helps for the MANY who use their systems for NetFlix and VideoPhone (from there ISP's here are a nightmare).

As you know, we are only as strong as our weakest link. Most often, the weakest link is the consumer.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:48 AM
Sage

I have an SSD in my laptop and it speeds up rebooting but I hardly ever reboot - maybe every other month.

I have no idea how many people drop their laptops from their laps. I suspect very few - seems like a large number of people use tablets on their laps.

For the vast majority of users around here, the bare minimums are probably more than adequate. You can buy a pretty nice laptop from Dell with an SSD for $550. You can also get a Intel Celeron processor based system with harddrive for $250 that will probably satisfy most people's needs. You can get a 13"Apple MacBook Air (which only have SSDs) for $759 - a much better choice, in my opinion. It costs a few more bucks but well worth it in terms of less hassles for the average user. All of those system would have 4 GBytes of memory.

I have 4 GBytes on my Windows laptop for work and it handles everything I throw at it without issue, and I do stream Netflix. Memory is one of the most misunderstood parts of a computer. Accept for providing additional cache for I/O, having more memory than you need provides little or no value. It is typical for people to suggest more memory than is needed.

I rarely hear of anyone having issues with their internet and most of my friends know I write software for a computer manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Record10ti View Post
Biker1 - Booting your computer is important for everyone. SSD is not just speed, it is stability. How many folks in TV do you suppose drop their laptop off of their lap? I have shot systems off of my car seat - both with HDD and SSD...SSD, I keep working. HDD I go to recover my data more often than not.

In your scenario, why not just use bare minimums everywhere? That said, hang out at BestBuy or some of the other computer stores and see what they are "selling"...more than often the total is well into $1200+ for a Windows based systems (selling on "Smoke and Fears"). The memory also helps for the MANY who use their systems for NetFlix and VideoPhone (from there ISP's here are a nightmare).

As you know, we are only as strong as our weakest link. Most often, the weakest link is the consumer.

Last edited by biker1; 05-03-2016 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:22 AM

I crunch HUGE numbers. Anyone playing with SQL or even large Excel needs memory (as I presume you know). As you also know the SSD limits the system memory you need - but memory is cheap. My SSD (and I have done the Pepsi Challange - Samsung is much faster than PNY or Kenniston - probably due to their "Magician" software that also makes converting from HDD to SSD a snap for even the most novice of users).

I have first hand seen many systems "lag" from memory - but, more often than not they have 900 Windows open that they dont notice are open.

I did shop BestBuy the other day looking for a simple cable. Not only did they not know what the simple cable was (DVI) - there was not a system there for under $1000+ that was not a Chrome Book...and you know what the salesmen were saying (and they are not even on commission!!!)
Closed Thread

Tags
work, windows, hang, things, type, bing, told, miss, solitaire, profoundly, learn, questions, stayed, friend, long, place, found, upgrade, annoying, days, ago, microsoft, upgraded, nagging, personally

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.