I upgraded (?) to Windows 10

Closed Thread
Old 05-03-2016, 12:49 PM
Sage
Default I upgraded (?) to Windows 10

I'm no expert on Computer security. But when somebody suggests laptops are "far less stable" than desktops, I then question their opinion regarding laptop security also...because a good laptop is very stable...easily comparable to a desktop.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I'm no expert on Computer security. But when somebody suggests laptops are "far less stable" than desktops, I then question their opinion regarding laptop security also...because a good laptop is very stable...easily comparable to a desktop.
Just to argue the point -

You typically do not see a desktop fail from spilled soda, falling, hitting, hinge failure, power cord tripping and on and on - if you have a hard drive it is in essence a gyroscope. It does not like to change its direction (thus they spin on average about 50% the speed of a desktop drive these days). Server drives have been at 15,000rpm for years. Laptops are typically 5400rpm - desktops typically 7200 or 10,000rpm. There are "SMART" drives and other fun things to "park the heads" in the case of sudden rotational changes in the gyroscopic direction (easier with a smaller, slower drive).

A neat point. Some of what makes a Lenovo $600.00 laptop "different" than a seemingly equally performing $2000.00 "Business" laptop is how water proof, how impact proof and being made of metal as opposed to plastic - for the reason I mention.

You typically do not see a desktop left in a taxi -

Burglars typically these days leave desktops -

OS to OS, they are about equal. As for PHYSICAL security, and what not - desktops are the hands down winners (and thus what you see in business, and then still often bolted down) - Once your physical security is lost, there is no data security.

Last edited by Record10ti; 05-03-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:40 PM
Sage

You are correct. While I am sure there are some crappy laptops out there, a good quality laptop is fine. My company provides me a good quality laptops so I don't see any issues. When not travellng, it sits in a docking station with its top closed as it is connected to an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Old 05-03-2016, 02:49 PM

Not so funny story - just a few weeks ago a client gave an MD a new laptop...all setup - apps, access to a number of hospitals. Day three there were finger prints on his screen...so, what is a wise man to do? Well, clean it with denatured alcohol of course! That stuff ate the membrane between his keyboard and the system board and shorted out the power button (screen somehow looked okay but we cant verify it works)... he took it to an Ocala VAR who then formatted the SSD in another system -for some reason thinking it would "fix" the system board. Almost as much fun as the dentist who liked to use the drill to tap the touch screen in his operatories...Bzzzzzzzzz...need a new monitor (more than a few times, plus that is plain gross).

Sell ya the Lenovo cheap ;-)

[IMG]The Villages Florida[/IMG]

Last edited by Record10ti; 05-03-2016 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Added Image
Old 05-03-2016, 03:58 PM
TOTV Moderator

Please return to the original topic of upgrading to Windows 10. If you wish to start a thread about computer security or laptop vs. desktop, feel free to do so. Further posts not on topic will be deleted.

Thank you.

Closed Thread

Tags
work, windows, hang, things, type, bing, told, miss, solitaire, profoundly, learn, questions, stayed, friend, long, place, found, upgrade, annoying, days, ago, microsoft, upgraded, nagging, personally

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.