Laptop speakers stopped working

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2017, 09:32 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts
Default Laptop speakers stopped working

I can't get any audio on my computer. (Videos play but there is no audio). My sound is not muted, I have the sound turned up to 100%, and it says I have the latest software. When I try to click on "sound" in the control panel, it will not respond and I get a "Windows Shell Common DII is not responding."
Any advice???
Old 03-04-2017, 01:53 PM
Sage

Is this happening with videos on the internet? I had trouble with audio not showing up playing internet videos until I noted that clicking on the right side of the bar where the Play/Pause icon resides brought up a speaker icon that had a cross through it. Clicking on that restored the sound. Apparently these videos were downloading with the sound muted automatically.

If that doesn't solve it, try going to Device Manager and searching for your sound card. Check to see if it is somehow disabled. If not, try upgrading or reloading the driver from the Properties screen. Or deleting the sound card and letting the system find it again and reload the driver.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:28 PM
Veteran member

Yes.... it does happen with internet posts. Thank you.... I'll try that.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Is this happening with videos on the internet? I had trouble with audio not showing up playing internet videos until I noted that clicking on the right side of the bar where the Play/Pause icon resides brought up a speaker icon that had a cross through it. Clicking on that restored the sound. Apparently these videos were downloading with the sound muted automatically.

If that doesn't solve it, try going to Device Manager and searching for your sound card. Check to see if it is somehow disabled. If not, try upgrading or reloading the driver from the Properties screen. Or deleting the sound card and letting the system find it again and reload the driver.
I looked at the right side of the bar and the sound is on. I went to Device manager and it says both audio and speakers are working properly. I can't figure out how to get to the Properties screen.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:51 AM
Sage

When you're in device manager, and you click on your sound card, in the bar near the top of the window are some icons. One looks like a sheet of paper. That's the one for Properties. Once you select that, you should see a tab for Driver. That window will have info on the current driver. You could either update the driver to see if that helps, or roll back the driver to a previous version. I would try the roll back option if the date on the current driver is recent, since the problem is new. If that doesn't help, you can always try updating the driver.

If this doesn't help, you may have a hardware issue, but that would be unusual. IMO.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:29 AM

Is this a Windows 10 OS? Have you tried to shut down the PC wait 30 seconds and turn back on? Windows 10 updates all drivers when it finds new ones and a restart finishes the update. Here is the Microsoft Fix it tool : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...troubleshooter
Old 04-07-2017, 06:35 PM
Veteran member

I deleted my Conexant SmartAudio Driver. THe first time I did it when I shut down my computer and started it again the driver was loaded and my sound worked. About 4 days later my sound stopped working again. I deleted the Conexant Driver again. This time it didn't reload, so I ended up updating all my Drivers and the sound worked.... for about 2 days. Now my sound is not working again. THis is really frustrating.
Any suggestions??
Closed Thread

Tags
sound, audio, control, click, respond

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.