PC vs. Mac

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
How do you use your computer? email, pay bills, do budget spreadsheets, surf the web
Are you considering a laptop? Yes
What is your budget? $1,200
Do yo like the size of your current screen? yes but I am used to an iPad What size is it? 18 inches
Will it be shared?
yes with my husband
Old 04-07-2015, 07:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have never been a big fan of laptops. I only have one (Windoze PC from my company) because of occasional business travel. The vast majority of the time it is in it's docking station and I use an external monitor, mouse, and keyboard. My wife uses a 21" iMac desktop system, iPad, and iPhone. The Apple environment works great for her as everything is synched. If your usage is generally light you may be able to get by with just an iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCsun View Post
yes with my husband
Old 04-08-2015, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista View Post
Also, go to David A Cox's videos on pc classes online. These are free tutorials. There is an excellent one on going from Windows to Apple.
:
Home - PCClassesOnline Go to: Learn the Mac in 90 minutes Yosimate Edition
Watching this class was just what I needed to help me make my decision. Great recommendation.

Thanks to everyone who took time to respond to my questions. I really appreciate all of your advice. This site and people like you build my confidence when I am feeling confused.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:07 AM
Veteran member

I mostly have purchased Apple refurb. Same 1 year warranty and less expensive. May not be the latest and greatest but always happy with them. They are mostly returns. Always look brand new.

Refurbished and Clearance iPod, iPad & Mac Products - Free Shipping - Apple Store (U.S.)
Old 05-31-2015, 06:00 PM

We go to one of The Apple Stores in Orlando every 3-6 months or so and find it to be well worth the trip. We always learn something new at Apple. Used to work on PCs and have to say, once you go mac, you never go back. Currently using a 2008 imac. When we buy a new one, we would either buy an external disc drive or we would wait and see if the next release added back the disc drive. Regarding Best Buy, we really wish we would have asked to see their WRITTEN return policies and restocking fees before spending any money there. We will never go back to Best Buy.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:17 PM
Sage

I'm a bit of a computer gamer. If a Mac could match a PC in that regard, I'd go Mac and never come back.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:40 PM
Veteran member

I recently bought a MacBook Pro and love it. Well worth the extra cost.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
My 5-yr-old Dell desktop PC is showing its age. I'm thinking I should replace it with a Mac. I've used one, touchpads and stuff, at my kids' houses and I think I can manage the learning curve.
BUT is it true that they cost twice as much as PCs? Will I have to buy a lot of software? Does it come with a basic office program? Will I really love it?

I have used a Mac for over 20 years, just keep in mind, you get what you pay for. Just try to think logical, and the Mac will become real easy.

:big bow: I have always said :for every 5 keystrokes on a PC, you have 1 on a Mac.

Suggestion, buy a 5 year old used Mac, I have had over 25 Mac's never new.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:12 AM
Veteran member

I programmed my first computer in 1969 and have used just about every kind of computer since.

I use a Chromebook 99% of the time.

Yes - it needs to be connected to the internet ... when are you not?
Has spreadsheet --- google sheets - very compatible with Excel
Has word processor --- google docs - very compatible with Word

No - you can't use programs like Turbotax or Quicken, but you can use Turbotax online and there apps that work like Quicken.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:36 AM

My iMAC is is 7 years old and has never given me any problems. I will never go back to a PC!
Old 06-01-2015, 11:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
I programmed my first computer in 1969 and have used just about every kind of computer since.

I use a Chromebook 99% of the time.

Yes - it needs to be connected to the internet ... when are you not?
Has spreadsheet --- google sheets - very compatible with Excel
Has word processor --- google docs - very compatible with Word

No - you can't use programs like Turbotax or Quicken, but you can use Turbotax online and there apps that work like Quicken.
I agree. I don't think you need to be connected to the internet to work most of the google products any more.
https://support.google.com/chromeboo.../3214688?hl=en
Old 07-31-2015, 05:48 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
Mac is the way to go.
In my other working life I was a MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) for over 10 years. What ever you decide just know that as soon as I retired I bought a Mac Book Pro. That was ten years ago come this January and it still works as new. Take it from me you want a MAC even though they are more expensive they are worth it. We have 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, Apple Watch, Time Capsule Router and Back-Up System and they all work flawlessly.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCsun View Post
yes with my husband
I haven't seen this thread in a while so I'm not sure if it's still active. I have been singing the joys of a chromebook to everyone who needs help with computers.
It's affordable and pretty hard to break.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.