To repair or not to repair???

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2016, 05:11 PM
Default To repair or not to repair???

I'm having issues with my desk top, a 5'ish year old DELL Studio XPS. I'm wondering if it is worthwhile to have it repaired or better to buy another desk top. The major issues are a blue and or black screen, a statement saying my internet connection is not responding, receiving a message "THIS PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED" when composing an e-mail or responding to one. And if it is best for me to repair, are there any suggestions on an individual who could do the repair?
Old 05-13-2016, 08:51 AM
Veteran member

You don't have to get rid of it. You can turn it into a Chrome Book for free (Google it). I'v been involved in the computer industry since 1969. I've used IBM mainframes, PCs, Apples, mini computers and things you've never heard of.

I bought a Chrome Book several years ago while working at Best Buy. I have a laptop for Quicken and Turbo Tax, but only use that about 2-3 times a month. 99.99% of the time I use my Chrome Book.

So what is a Chrome Book? It looks like a PC, but only works on wifi. It does not use programs like Quicken, Turbo Tax, MS Word or Excel, but it does use apps. Most come with 16 gig of memory, which doesn't sound like much, but you can store files on the Google Drive for free (with a gmail account).

I use Sheets, which is Google's spreadsheet, Docs, like Word and have brought in both Excel and Word docs into those apps.

I can do all my banking, shopping, reading of books (though my Kindle app) and surf the web safely.

Every time you start up the Chrome Book you get a fresh version of the operating system (OS). That's why you can never be held up with ransom ware or get a virus. Simply shut off the book and restart it. It only takes about 15-20 seconds to get online!

Or you can buy a Chrome Book for well under $300.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,149 Times in 2,248 Posts

This may be nothing more then a flaky connection to the internet. If it s wired, try a new Ethernet cable. If it is wireless, try resetting your router (either unplug for a minute or so, or press the reset button). In the computer, s if there any updates for the computer. I would use the DELL website for updates, other sites may install software you do not need or want. If none of this works, I would go to one of the Connected Villager meetings, and ask for additional help.

Also, page not found or page cannot be displayed are typically NOT a problem with your computer. Do you have other items that use your internet connection, phone (wifi), tablet, xbox, etc,? Are all of these working OK?If not you might want to check with your cable company.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:59 AM
Platinum member

I also second the chromebook as very easy and reliable to use.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paqdkq View Post
I'm having issues with my desk top, a 5'ish year old DELL Studio XPS. I'm wondering if it is worthwhile to have it repaired or better to buy another desk top. The major issues are a blue and or black screen, a statement saying my internet connection is not responding, receiving a message "THIS PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED" when composing an e-mail or responding to one. And if it is best for me to repair, are there any suggestions on an individual who could do the repair?
Those all sound like likely software issues rather than hardware. If it were me, I'd back up all my files somewhere safe, make a system image and then do a clean re-install of Windows. Then re-load only the programs you actually use anymore and finally, restore your files from the backup. If you've never done anything like this before, don't attempt it on your own. Get help from an expert. TVCC likely has many such folk. Go to one of the last-Friday-of-the-month workshops.
--
Bob C
Old 05-25-2016, 03:43 PM

If you are getting the blue screen with a cryptic message, write down the error code, and then google the error code.

If your network card on your computer is going out, you can purchase a usb adapter (wireless or wired). But if your computer is crashing, or your display screen is goofing up, see what's causing that before you spend any money on new parts.

And like already mentioned, it could be your router, causing the internet problems.

Wayne Sallee
Wayne@WayneSallee.com
Old 09-05-2016, 07:30 AM

I would like the man's name,,have a big problem with computer
Old 09-05-2016, 09:44 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banfield85 View Post
I know a guy who can back up everything for you and re-load the operating system or put Windows 10 on it for you. He did the same thing for me and it was only about $75. My computer is 8 years old and has never worked so good. I wouldn't waste the money buying something new. Contact me if you'd like his info, I think I have a business card here somewhere.
I am very interested in hiring this repair person. Please provide his name & number. Thank you in advance.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:15 PM

Banfield85, can you provide me with the name of the individual you mentioned above that works on computers. Thank you in advance.
Closed Thread

Tags
repair, desk, issues, responding, top

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.