Should I cancel my AOL email service?

Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2017, 06:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

AOL, sans-a-belt pants and super wide ties...FOREVER!
Old 03-13-2017, 08:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,422 Times in 5,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
Has anyone else received the message from AOL that they are going to a new desktop software called "Gold" and they are going to charge a monthly subscription fee? I may be the only person in The Villages who has and is using the AOL Desktop software (Mine is version 9.8.2). It seems from the comments in this thread that most people reach their AOL mail through another program (like Xfinity, Google, or some other internet server).

For those of you that don't understand my question, do you get to AOL mail by clicking on an AOL icon from your computer screen and then get an AOL logon screen and a blue user screen with menu selections across the top? And very top of the screen reads "AOL Desktop Connected, Signed-ON". Like I said, I may be the only one in The Villages that accesses AOL directly.
I don't have an AOL icon on my computer. I get AOL email by going to aol.com on the Internet. There is no reason to download or to use any AOL software program to use the free AOL email service. You can access your AOL email from any computer at any time with an Internet connection. You can set up a free email account by going to aol.com and providing a username and password. No downloading required. It is totally free.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:38 PM
Sage

What Retired Guy said is how you do it. Easy Peasy. In the olden days of aol, we had aol software installed on the computer via compact disk. We used to write several emails and then carry our laptop to an Internet Cafe land send them all at once. It was called Flash Mail.

Last edited by Carla B; 03-17-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:07 PM

Why quit?
Old 03-16-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have been using AOL email service forever, and, apparently, people laugh at me. Please let me know if I should switch, why I should switch, what service should I switch to, and what will happen to my contacts and 100 years of saved emails?
Hey, there: If you have any questions about AOL, please feel free to reach out to my AOL team at: aolsupporthelp@aol.com. We're happy to answer any questions for you.:-)
Old 03-16-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin_AOL View Post
I work at AOL.:-) Feel free to reach out to my team at AOL if you have any questions. We're happy to answer them. You can reach us at aolsupporthelp@aol.com.
Thank you for providing the email link. I've just written an email to them.

In that email, I asked if I uninstalled my AOL software and then reach my AOL mail through either my Xfinity Home Page or Google Chrome web sites using the web site AOL.com? And if so, is that still free?
Old 03-17-2017, 07:16 PM
Send a message via AIM to navair4me

I have been using aol since we first got access to the internet when my now 35 year old son was in Jr High school. I have the same screen name and since AOL is now a free service I have no intention of changing it and having to contact and update LOTS of email addresses! Do I care if poeple are laughing? nope, I will just stick with what I have especially since it's now a free service like so many others. My Mac/iphone loving son laughs at me but he still send my email to my aol.com address! We access the internet thru our wifi connection so "dial up" is truly a thing of the past...thank goodness!
Closed Thread

Tags
switch, service, email, aol, cancel

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.