Should I cancel my AOL email service?

Closed Thread
Old 03-10-2017, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts
Default Should I cancel my AOL email service?

I have been using AOL email service forever, and, apparently, people laugh at me. Please let me know if I should switch, why I should switch, what service should I switch to, and what will happen to my contacts and 100 years of saved emails?
Old 03-10-2017, 10:07 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

I still have mine. Kids want me to go to gmail but I have not heard of a valid reason.

It ain't broke, don't __________
Old 03-10-2017, 10:18 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Make the kids happy. Open up a gmail account and see if you like it any better. Doesn't mean you have to close the AOL account. Gmail should be able to copy your contacts. If you find you like gmail better, use it. If you don't, you can say you tried and happily go back to AOL.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-10-2017, 10:47 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

I've still got aol and it's just an email address cost nothing. I DONT see a problem.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:59 AM
Veteran member

Just tell the nay sayers that you were one of the pioneers of the digital revolution.
Since AOL was purchased by Verizon the accounts are not going to go away.
Unlimited storage, 25 MB of photo and video attachments, advanced spam filters, virus protection, modern web interface. No need to change unless you desire some of Gmail other features.
" I salute you, sir, for your vital role in creating a useful internet."
Old 03-10-2017, 01:21 PM
Veteran member

If it works for you, just ignore the nay-sayers....it doesn't cost anything and switching is a far greater hassle.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:36 PM

The one reason you may consider switching is that AOL just sent out an email that indicates they will have a new service and they will charge a monthly fee. Up until now, AOL has been free and I, like you, have been using it for all of my emails and internet searches even though I could use my Comcast logon ID's that are provided free from the cable provider or GMAIL which is also free. It seems that AOL will require everyone to download a new program effective April 7th and they are going to charge for that service. When I called, they told me the charge is $3.99 per month for the minimum program (it comes with 24/7 support) and $4.99 per month for the better service (it comes with McAfee anti virus but we already get Norton anti virus from Comcast for free). After April 7th, your current version of AOL will be discontinued.

So if you want to keep using AOL, you have to now pay a monthly fee after their 30 day trial period ends. Before deciding whether to keep AOL, I looked at YOUTUBE and found how to convert all of my AOL emails and AOL contacts to GMAIL, and I found it was fairly easy. So now, I'm going to have to decide to pay AOL for something that was free or use the other free service providers. Another alternative is to use The Villages . net web site and email provider (which I am paying $8 per month just to get the Tee Time service).

So, your decision may no longer be based on whether you "look old fashion" but rather if you want to save $48 per year.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

You can have both AOL and gmail.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2017, 01:52 PM
Sage

I didn't get an email from AOL, and I don't use an AOL software program. I get free AOL email service on the Internet. Are you sure this doesn't just apply to those who use an installed AOL program with other features? If they try to charge for email service, they will lose me and millions of other customers.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:03 PM
Veteran member

FROM AOL
"If you're already connected to the internet and don’t use AOL dial-up, you can still access AOL software, email and several other services at absolutely no cost.

Free AOL services include:

Your AOL Username and email account, accessible at mail.aol.com
AOL Desktop Software
AOL Instant Messenger (AIM)
AOL security services that protect you from spam, pop-ups and unknown viruses attached to emails
AOL Parental Controls to help ensure an safe online experience for your children
Contacts (your AOL Address Book)
AOL.com
AOL Video
AOL Radio
AOL Search

Our Dial-Up Access plan offers additional services not included in the free plan, such as:

Connection to the internet
24/7 tech support
Premium products and services, such as AOL Computer Checkup
McAfee Internet Security Suite – Special Edition"
Old 03-10-2017, 02:25 PM

To add to the confusion:

If you have a Android phone with a gmail account, It will automatically update your contacts between all platforms Phone, tablet, computer anytime one is updated. Also nice feature when/if you get a new android phone or tablet it will transfer over your contacts with ease. Just sign into your google acct. (gmail)

If you use Apple products forget everything I just typed
Old 03-10-2017, 02:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have been using AOL email service forever, and, apparently, people laugh at me. Please let me know if I should switch, why I should switch, what service should I switch to, and what will happen to my contacts and 100 years of saved emails?

What am I missing? Why would you consider cancelling, is there a service issue in your area? I’m glad this thread came up. I’ve been paying $25/mon for 20 yrs with AOL and have been meaning to drop down to the free service. I seem to always forget, but I’m going to do it now. Before AOL I was with CompuServe in the early 90’s, that service was VERY slow. Don’t know what ever happened to them, but good riddance.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:43 PM
Sage

I don't have a service issue. Just wondering why people laugh at me for using AOL. They also laugh at my flip phone. So, I guess I'll keep them both. I don't have any kids to tell me what to do.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't have a service issue. Just wondering why people laugh at me for using AOL. They also laugh at my flip phone. So, I guess I'll keep them both. I don't have any kids to tell me what to do.
Now that we know that, we will take over telling you what to do.
Would yo like to know your plans for tomorrow?
Old 03-10-2017, 03:38 PM

Here is some of the email I received from AOL concerning their AOL Gold Desktop Software

"Today, we are announcing the release of our newest AOL Desktop software—AOL Desktop Gold. With enhanced security features and automatic updates, this version is better and more secure, while keeping the look and functionality that you’ve become accustomed to. Unlike past versions, this newer software will require a small monthly fee for use.

Additionally, in order to maintain the highest level of security for our members, effective April 7, 2017, we will retire all older versions of AOL Desktop software. Access to your current version will be discontinued at that time. "

We’ve made the transition to AOL Desktop Gold easy—all your usernames, passwords, toolbar icons and mail will be transferred along with your favorites and contacts. Plus, we’d like to offer you a 30-day free trial* to enjoy AOL Desktop Gold. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to give our team a call at 1-888-265-3733."

From that email, it sounds like if you have the AOL software program on a desk top or lap top computer, it will no longer function after April 7, 2017. From my conversation with the service rep, they will send an email with a download link when you subscribe to the new service. You will then use that download link to install the new AOL Gold program onto your computer. The rep did say that you can use the email download link to load the AOL Gold software program onto more than one computer (e.g. my Desktop and my Lap Top computers).

If anyone has any other info, PLEASE post it. I'm trying to decide whether to drop AOL or not.
Closed Thread

Tags
switch, service, email, aol, cancel

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.