Strange phone call

Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2014, 06:43 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Caller ID saves a lot of this nonsense. also purchased new phones which block 250 unwanted numbers. This scam has been ongoing for several years and for the life of me i don't understand how NSA can lock onto any phone in the world but our government and telephone utilities can's shut these guys down?
Old 10-24-2014, 07:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

State in a loud forceful voice, "put this number on your do not call list and don't ever call it again" and hang up. If they call you back, report them to the do not call registry.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:21 AM

This was just on Good Morning America big scam!!!
Old 10-24-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmrsj View Post
Yesterday, I received a phone call from someone who called himself Mac Jordan. Of course, I could hardly understand him and thought he was from India but he said he was calling from the Windows Tech Support in Seattle, Washington. I asked for his phone and he gave me a number of 206-203-5477. He called me on my home phone number. He said that my computer had been infected with a virus that only Microsoft could repair. He asked if I was near my computer and if I could turn it on. Actually, the computer was not in my house and not turned on because my computer was on it's way to our house in Florida as my roommate was driving down and took my computer with him. I asked if there was a charge to fix the computer and Mac Jordan said if it was out of warranty that there was a $79 charge. Of course, it is out of warranty. He told me I could call him back when I had access to the computer. Has this happened to anyone or anyone heard of this? I think it is a scam but don't know how to proceed.
Yes and I just hang up on them. They call a lot!!
Old 10-24-2014, 10:08 AM

I got that call, told the person I worked at Microsoft as well and asked which department they worked in so I could walk over to talk with them personally, click.... complete scam....
Old 10-24-2014, 01:16 PM
Eternal Member

After the first call, just put it on Call Block and your phone will just hang up on them automatically.

Of course some of the replies mentioned on this thread show a lot of spontaneous humor that is great!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Yesterday, I received a phone call from someone who called himself Mac Jordan. Of course, I could hardly understand him and thought he was from India but he said he was calling from the Windows Tech Support in Seattle, Washington. I asked for his phone and he gave me a number of 206-203-5477. He called me on my home phone number. He said that my computer had been infected with a virus that only Microsoft could repair. He asked if I was near my computer and if I could turn it on. Actually, the computer was not in my house and not turned on because my computer was on it's way to our house in Florida as my roommate was driving down and took my computer with him. I asked if there was a charge to fix the computer and Mac Jordan said if it was out of warranty that there was a $79 charge. Of course, it is out of warranty. He told me I could call him back when I had access to the computer. Has this happened to anyone or anyone heard of this? I think it is a scam but don't know how to proceed.
just hang up.

Last edited by Bogie Shooter; 10-24-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:43 PM
Gold member

Quote:
LOL I had that call a couple of times. When he said I had a virus, I asked him what does he do when he has a virus, and he had no answer. So I told him when I have a virus, I go to the doctor to get anti-biotics. He was silenced for a few moments. He then said I needed to clean windows, and I told him I just cleaned my windows, inside and out 3 days ago. He called me a swear word and hung up on me. hehehehehehehe
Old 10-24-2014, 07:17 PM

I have a phone call (from an Indian accented male ) almost every other week telling me my PC has a virus . I hang up as soon as I hear that accented male voice. Sad to say I am bring over cautious but I too am very tired of this situation. Anyone have a solution ??
Old 10-24-2014, 07:52 PM

I was receiving unsolicited calls from CBE Group as shown on caller ID. Best not to answer the calls. I kept a record of the calls for several months and did some research. I contacted the state Attorney General here in Ohio. The calls stopped the next day!
Old 10-24-2014, 09:54 PM

three phone calls within 3 weeks. Scam. I always say to myself, if I didn't call them, then it probably is a scam. Same with anything. He would get into your computer and look up passwords etc. Sometimes terrorists use scams like this. So watch out!
Old 10-24-2014, 10:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Why answer the phone at all if you don't recognize the caller? If it is important, they will leave a message.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
Why answer the phone at all if you don't recognize the caller? If it is important, they will leave a message.
Exactly.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.