Which tablet?

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2014, 06:59 AM
Sage
Default Which tablet?

This is a very open ended question without alot of requirements posted. I am hoping others experiences will provide me leads which I can further dig into.

I have been tasked to research tablet options for my wife. She would use it when not by her desk, mostly for email, reading books, not as a replacement for her laptop.

I am overwhelmed by the options. There is no question iPad is a front runner with the reliability and ease of use. As her sole support person who speaks Windows and Linux ease of use and stability is key.

If I head the Ipad direction, I see the Ipad Air starting at about $500. Good reviews, but only has 16gb storage. Anyone run on that config?

As I look at iPad competition it clearly is catching up over the last year or two. There are way to many to mention, so I ask if anyone is using a NON Apple tablet and would you mind sharing which one and what you use it for and how you like it?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Last edited by ajbrown; 04-23-2014 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Changed RAM to storage, removed question about adding more
Old 04-23-2014, 07:25 AM
Gold member

I have an iPad Air with 16GB. You can not add anything to any iPad. They really limit you and keep you in the Apple corral. All the Android tablets are much more flexible. Both iPad and Android have more apps than you could possibly need or want. I actually prefer Android for Apps as they have a lot more free ones. Also iPad and iPhone apps are not always compatible! Take a good look at Samsung Sony and Asus tablets. There is no question the iPad is total quality!
Old 04-23-2014, 07:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
I have an iPad Air with 16GB. You can not add anything to any iPad. They really limit you and keep you in the Apple corral. All the Android tablets are much more flexible. Both iPad and Android have more apps than you could possibly need or want. I actually prefer Android for Apps as they have a lot more free ones. Also iPad and iPhone apps are not always compatible! Take a good look at Samsung Sony and Asus tablets. There is no question the iPad is total quality!
Thank you. I can understand the reasoning to keep us in the Apple corral and have no issue with that.

How is the screen on the iPad Air for viewing by the pool or outside?

Last edited by ajbrown; 04-23-2014 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Removed question on memory
Old 04-23-2014, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I read my magazines on an iPad..at this time android does not offer that
Old 04-23-2014, 07:36 AM
Sage
Default As I followed up on my own question....

I was using the term RAM when asking about 16gb versus 32gb. I just realized this is storage, not memory.....

Understanding that I now see why you cannot simply upgrade from 16gb to 32gb.

And they say there is no such thing as a dumb question
Old 04-23-2014, 07:39 AM

I use the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1.I runs the Android O/S very easy to use and you can customize it easy,It also has a really sweet pen so you can write on it. Newegg has it. Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi 10.1" - Samsung Exynos 1.40GHz - 2GB RAM - 16GB HDD Tablet PC – Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) - Deep Gray It can take a 32 gig sd card to raise the storage space to 48 gigs.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:48 AM
Gold member

I have an iPad 3 and an iPhone 5s. I love how they sync with each other and I only have to enter contacts or notes once. I will say I don't like their calendar. I have some meetings that are on the 2nd Thursday -- you have to enter them all individually. I also bought a bluetooth keyboard case. I'm the secretary on the state's genealogy board and I can take notes directly onto my iPad and don't have to listen to that horrible recorder! Just re-type them when I get home on my laptop. Love it! I also love the Aps.

My cousin has the latest Kindle Fire. She reads a lot and loves it. She doesn't have have high speed internet at home and downloads everything at the Library and reads it when she wants.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:49 AM

I have an Amazon Kindle Fire HDX. It is great for everything except reading books in sunlight. Half the price of an iPad and half the weight. It also has a terrific help button that connects you with a live person. Camera is on the wrong side but I do not use it. No problem connecting to the internet.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:58 AM
Platinum member

I love the fact my iPhone and iPad sync. I read books on my iPad. When At a doctor' office, and waiting, I can bring out my iPhone to read. Use this option so often. Easier to read on an iPhone than one would think. My iPad is about three years old. I have 3G with mine. Love this when traveling. Only have 16gb, and this has worked well for me. I kept my memory low and put my money into the 3 G.
Tampa, FL
Old 04-23-2014, 08:06 AM
Sage
Default Kindle HDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by baustgen View Post
I have an Amazon Kindle Fire HDX. It is great for everything except reading books in sunlight. Half the price of an iPad and half the weight. It also has a terrific help button that connects you with a live person. Camera is on the wrong side but I do not use it. No problem connecting to the internet.
I have read some good things about the Kindle Fire. Are you talking about the 7" HDX? Is that screen large enough to meet your needs?

I love the price point obviously, especially for our first tablet and so far I think the HDX meets the basic needs of email, browsing, reading books, watching movies.

Has any vendor solved the glare issue?

Last edited by ajbrown; 04-23-2014 at 08:21 AM. Reason: wording
Old 04-23-2014, 08:23 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable99 View Post
I have an iPad 3 and an iPhone 5s. I love how they sync with each other and I only have to enter contacts or notes once. I will say I don't like their calendar. I have some meetings that are on the 2nd Thursday -- you have to enter them all individually. I also bought a bluetooth keyboard case. I'm the secretary on the state's genealogy board and I can take notes directly onto my iPad and don't have to listen to that horrible recorder! Just re-type them when I get home on my laptop. Love it! I also love the Aps.

My cousin has the latest Kindle Fire. She reads a lot and loves it. She doesn't have have high speed internet at home and downloads everything at the Library and reads it when she wants.
My 4S has a calendar repeat feature, daily, weekly, 2 weeks, monthly, yearly. Try scrolling down in the Add Event screen
Old 04-23-2014, 08:27 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
My 4S has a calendar repeat feature, daily, weekly, 2 weeks, monthly, yearly. Try scrolling down in the Add Event screen
Thanks! I will try it!

Update: I tried it. It puts the event on the same day of the month every month. It doesn't allow you to put the 2nd Tuesday or third Wednesday. I can do this on Outlook but not in the iPad or iPhone.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:34 AM

I use a Google Nexus 7. It does everything I want it to: ebooks, email, web browsing. Very fast and always gets the latest Android updates direct from Google. No "bloatware" just pure Android.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
This is a very open ended question without alot of requirements posted. I am hoping others experiences will provide me leads which I can further dig into.

I have been tasked to research tablet options for my wife. She would use it when not by her desk, mostly for email, reading books, not as a replacement for her laptop.

I am overwhelmed by the options. There is no question iPad is a front runner with the reliability and ease of use. As her sole support person who speaks Windows and Linux ease of use and stability is key...
Nice to know there's at least one other Linux user!
Old 04-23-2014, 08:42 AM
Default Tablet choice

I recently purchased a Nexus 7 tablet manufactured by Asus. It has excellent reviews and so far I am more than pleased. Actually, one review claims it to be better than the Ipad mini.

The Nexus 7 is considered a mini talbet at 7 inches but it more than meets my needs. I use for banking, email, facebook, reading kindle books and internet research. I like the fact that I can hold it easily in my hand.

I purchased from Ebay and paid $225.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.