Time for a new computer

Closed Thread
Old 03-09-2017, 10:00 PM
Sage

This is terrible advice based on what the OP said he was going to use the system for; e-mail and web surfing. Your suggestion would have him wasting a lot of money on capabilities he will never use. Based on what the OP stated, a Chromebook would be an excellent choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
If you want to replace a desktop with a laptop, I would get one with an Intel I7 processor, 16 GB of RAM, a 1 or 2 TB hard drive, a built-in disk drive, and an HDMI output. I would also get at least a 15 or 17 inch screen. Whether the screen detaches, folds back, or whatever really doesn't matter. Some of the top-of-the-line laptops now come with a solid state hard drive, but the capacity is usually far less than 1 TB, which would not be enough for me. The old type hard drives work just fine. A Chromebook may be good for surfing the Web, but it won't replace a desktop.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:16 PM
Sage

This is more bad advice. The OP stated that his intended uses were e-mail and websurfing. There is no need for a "super duper desktop". He never indicated he wanted a "high end laptop". His computing power requirements are minimal.

Quote:
In my opinion, it really doesn't make sense to try to replace a desktop with a laptop. If you have space in your house for a desktop, you can buy a super duper desktop and huge monitor plus a cheap laptop (under $200) all for less money than one high end laptop. You will save money and have more computing power and flexibility than just having a laptop.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:54 PM
Veteran member

Save your money. Download Linux Mint Mate ISO and burn to DVD. Run off bootable DVD to see if you like it. 100% FREE. Then install. Works great on older PC's. Running on 2006 Asus Netbook with 2gigs of ram and 16gig ssd. perfect for your uses. Linux = No viruses /malware and fast! Will install on your older desktop if the HD is ok, if not will run off DVD or thumb drive. PM me if you need additional info.

Last edited by SFSkol; 03-09-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:18 AM
Veteran member

While I like the idea of a Linux OS, most people don't know what Linux is, why they should use it and how to maintain it.
They just want something that works for what they want.

That is why I refer back to a Chromebook. It looks and feels like a Windows laptop but without all the problems of a Windows PC.
It doesn't get a virus so you don't need antivirus software or anti-spyware software.

Yes, you need a Gmail Account (big deal, I have a Gmail account but use Yahoo as my start page).

Of course, on the down side (maybe), you can't run Windows programs, but what are you using that really requires Windows?
Old 03-10-2017, 09:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
This is more bad advice. The OP stated that his intended uses were e-mail and websurfing. There is no need for a "super duper desktop". He never indicated he wanted a "high end laptop". His computing power requirements are minimal.
He/she is using the computer "mostly" for web surfing. My main point is that, generally, I think that trying to replace a desktop with a laptop is not a good idea. Desktops are more durable, economical, and easier to use than laptops. For occasional portability, you can supplement the desktop with a very inexpensive laptop or tablet. I bought a Lenova laptop for $175, but I use my desktop for more important things like doing taxes.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:59 AM
Sage

The OP mentioned a laptop so presumably portability is an issue for him. As already mentioned, a docking station, external monitor, and external mouse will turn a laptop into a "desktop" while preserving the portability. I have been doing this for 20 years with a laptop, including using a KVM switch when I had multiple systems. Be that as it may, based on the information provided, it seems to me that the OP has very modest compute requirements. A lower priced Intel processor with minimal memory will keep his costs down. I have an I7 based laptop with an SSD instead of a harddrive that was provided to me by my company. It would be serious overkill for a user with modest requirements. I believe many people get talked into buying way more equipment than they need. If you are a gamer or do serious image processing then better hardware would be called for. The OP should take a serious look at a Chromebook.

Quote:
He/she is using the computer "mostly" for web surfing. My main point is that, generally, I think that trying to replace a desktop with a laptop is not a good idea. Desktops are more durable, economical, and easier to use than laptops. For occasional portability, you can supplement the desktop with a very inexpensive laptop or tablet. I bought a Lenova laptop for $175, but I use my desktop for more important things like doing taxes.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:05 AM
Sage

///

Last edited by Carla B; 03-10-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:07 AM
Sage

I agree. I have an old laptop that I run Ubuntu Linux on because I needed a linux environment with a C and Fortran compiler on the cheap. I don't believe it is for the novice who just wants an "appliance". A Chromebook would be an excellent choice for the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
While I like the idea of a Linux OS, most people don't know what Linux is, why they should use it and how to maintain it.
They just want something that works for what they want.

That is why I refer back to a Chromebook. It looks and feels like a Windows laptop but without all the problems of a Windows PC.
It doesn't get a virus so you don't need antivirus software or anti-spyware software.

Yes, you need a Gmail Account (big deal, I have a Gmail account but use Yahoo as my start page).

Of course, on the down side (maybe), you can't run Windows programs, but what are you using that really requires Windows?
Old 03-10-2017, 10:48 AM
Veteran member

I guess no one here has tried a Linux distribution lately. Been in the PC repair / business since CP/M (pre DOS) times, and hate to see viable hardware discarded especially when there are minimal needs. Won't cost OP anything to try. Linux Mint Mate full current operating system. Updates easy as pie, maintenance nominal. Office alternatives. Most Windows programs run well in Wine emulator. Menu driven, just like Windows, OS 10.100% FREE. Thousands of top quality programs. Mac OS and Chromebook based on Linux anyway. Not a fan of the Chromebook interface, I put Linux Mint on it. Works out of the box.
2 Win 10 machines
2 Win 95
2 Win Xp
4 Linux Mint Netbooks
3 Linux Ubuntu Servers
2 Various Linux diagnostics desktops
Old 03-10-2017, 12:31 PM
Sage

My favorite computer that I've owned is the Dell XPS 18" Portable All-in-One that I bought three years ago. Apparently, it wasn't a good seller because Dell doesn't make it anymore. Not sure why, because it is so convenient and easy to unplug and relocate anywhere in the house that supports Wi-Fi. It's a giant tablet that sits on a power docking station and it came with a regular keyboard and mouse. I was looking at it at Best Buy when a man told me the Microsoft Store sold a more powerful version, i7 and 8 gb RAM for less money, so that's where I bought it. It has a touch screen but I rarely use that feature. Other than the normal frustrations of running Windows, it's been reliable so far. I hope praising it doesn't jinx my luck.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:01 AM
Veteran member

FORTRAN? I haven't used that since 1969!
Old 03-11-2017, 09:05 AM
Veteran member

The All-In-one (AIO) was a convenient device, but (and it's a big but), when one part broke, you had a big problem getting the part. With a desk top you can get a new monitor, hard drive, keyboard etc. With a laptop you can get more memory and a hard drive, but if the mother board died, well you might was well get a new PC.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:59 PM
Sage

Most of the heavy lifting in the scientific and engineering disciplines is done by Fortran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
FORTRAN? I haven't used that since 1969!
Old 03-12-2017, 04:36 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I continue to get advertisements in my e-mail from DELL about great bargains.....Does anyone one else?
Closed Thread

Tags
laptop, machine, top, year, desk

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.