Wifi security

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2017, 10:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
That is why I bought my own cable modem and wifi router.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We finally did too. Now just fighting with them about still charging us for the equipment we returned April 3 of 2016. Grrrrr.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Can you tell me which software you went with to monitor your wi-fi? The software that is pinging?
The monitoring capability is in the new Netgear smart router.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The monitoring capability is in the new Netgear smart router.
Thank you.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:06 AM
Sage

A point of clarification; it was my ASUS router that was in some way compromised.

I chose to not go with Comcast new modem/router combo device several months ago because I did not want all my devices running through Comcast. In addition I wanted independent security from what Comcast offered and declined their new device when it was offered.

I chose then to buy my own and have just made the same decision to buy my own again this time. This time I spent more $$ on the Netgear router to get more security, control and especially tracking.

In a week or so I will check with Comcast on usage to see that the issue/problem has truly been solved.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:39 AM
Veteran member

So, the ASUS tech admitted they were at fault? Was there a new firmware offered for the device?

I wouldn't worry too much about a PING. When I was bringing new data and web servers online in the 80's it only to 30 minutes for someone to be knocking on the door.

Please keep us informed as to the current status and what the eventual resolution was.

Thanx
Old 03-03-2017, 12:21 PM
Sage

At a minimum, turn off WPS and use WPA2. Set a WiFi password with a large number of upper case, lower case, special characters, and numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
A point of clarification; it was my ASUS router that was in some way compromised.

I chose to not go with Comcast new modem/router combo device several months ago because I did not want all my devices running through Comcast. In addition I wanted independent security from what Comcast offered and declined their new device when it was offered.

I chose then to buy my own and have just made the same decision to buy my own again this time. This time I spent more $$ on the Netgear router to get more security, control and especially tracking.

In a week or so I will check with Comcast on usage to see that the issue/problem has truly been solved.

Last edited by biker1; 03-03-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:44 PM
Veteran member

If someone is getting into your WiFi you might have a bigger problem, like someone you know is looking to steal something valuable from you. Banking information, etc..

Who had access to your physical router?
Old 04-21-2017, 09:25 AM
Sage

I thought I would provide an update to my ultra high data usage problem.

After much trial and research....thank many of you for your suggestions....we finally fixed the problem.

I had to inject my grandson, who is a PhD in computer science. First order of business was to determine the computer itself was fully functional and operating properly.
Since he was the one who built it for me (from scratch) it was easy to do. The computer checked out.

Then piece by piece other hardware connected in any way.

The final conclusion was somehow or another the computer wound up in a Windows download/update loop. Constantly updating....deleting...then updating again.
Causing the computer to eventually not be able to recognize any of the drives or boot.

I had windows 7 Ultra at the time. We did a clean install of windows 10.......problem solved.
Computer up and running like new day one.....using less than one GB per day.

The process and patience was way, WAY above my capability.

I wonder how many new computers are sold when novices (like me) do not have such expertise available for rescue.
Closed Thread

Tags
comcast, useage, security, passwords, change

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.