Wifi security

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2017, 01:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,749 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Wifi security

I had an interesting experience the last 24 hours. I received an email from Comcast warning me I had 100% used up my internet data so far in February....1024 GB!!!

I called this morning and they reviewed my past useage....typically around 20 G per month.
Specifically
Nov 2016...19
Dec 2016....20
Jan 2017....450
Feb 2017...1024

They said we would have to be watching thousands of movies to come close to such useage.....

They conjectured my router security had been compromised and that I should go in and change my passwords.

Which I did.

I will wait a day or two to check with Comcast again.
In the meantime I am research if there are ways to see when someone unauthorized is on my device.

Comments/recommendations/experiences.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I had an interesting experience the last 24 hours. I received an email from Comcast warning me I had 100% used up my internet data so far in February....1024 GB!!!

I called this morning and they reviewed my past useage....typically around 20 G per month.
Specifically
Nov 2016...19
Dec 2016....20
Jan 2017....450
Feb 2017...1024

They said we would have to be watching thousands of movies to come close to such useage.....

They conjectured my router security had been compromised and that I should go in and change my passwords.

Which I did.

In the meantime I am research if there are ways to see when someone unauthorized is on my device.

Someone could have used your data if your password was weak. They would have to be downloading thousands of movies or tv shows or music. I think Comcast can give you more specifics about what kind of device was used or time of day, etc.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2017, 01:57 PM
Sage

Depending on your router, you may be able to see the clients. Typically you would point your browser at something like 192.168.1.1. Check your owner's manual. I can see all the client using my router and their traffic.

Quote:

Specifically
Nov 2016...19
Dec 2016....20
Jan 2017....450
Feb 2017...1024

Which I did.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:15 PM
Gold member

If you are using a Comcast wireless router it may have an open xFinity network.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2017, 03:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

Thanks for posting

Would be interested in a follow-up post if you find ways to "lock it down"
Old 02-27-2017, 06:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

I was under the impression that the "free Xfinity" data did NOT appear on your paid account. If someone knows differently, let me know, thanks.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:21 PM
Sage

villagetinker; the first thing I did after receiving the warning from Xfinity was to research my bills to see where this info might be located. I found none.

Apparently the "allowance" is so high it accomodates the majority of users.

The Xfinity tech advised me there is no charge for going over for two months, allowing opportunity to correct useage if neccessary before getting into a chargeable situation.

I have also supplied pertinent info to ASUS the manufacturer of my router requesting their help in restoring my confidence in the security of the equipment that I use.

I will wait for their reply before I go back to Xfinity for possible problems with their modem.

I purchased my own moden from Best Buy.

All has been fine for two years up to now.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

Billethkid, thank you for the info, I will do some research also. One of the things I noticed was that when I added the xfinity WiFi to my cell phone and computers, for some reason they would automatically login into that site (at my home) and not the secured Wifi, so I went and deleted the Xfinity account on all of our devices.
If I recall correctly, I thought I had found a way to turn off the xfinity 'free' wifi function on my router, but Comcast could turn this back on remotely, will need to check this out again also.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:17 AM
Sage

My wi-fi was slow and I couldn't figure out why. I downloaded one of those programs off the internet because I suspected others were using my wi-fi in the neighborhood. I had given my wi-fi password to my older neighbor to use for one week. I think he passed it along to others in the neighborhood. I installed the program and changed my password. It also had a feature on it that would tell me when others would try to log onto my wi-fi. For the following few days the beeper went off over and over with other's trying and trying to get on my wi-fi. This lasted about a week and then tapered down to now none. Here's a link to Kim Komando's info on how to secure your network and info about the wireless network watcher program.

Check to see if your neighbors are stealing your Internet | One Page | Komando.com

Last edited by jnieman; 02-28-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:11 PM
Veteran member

I would contact Comcast and change your password account with them. Most likely your account with them was compromised, or you gave out that information to someone else. (I use my brothers account with Comcast in NJ to watch HBO online here in Fl. My using his account anywhere in the US on a public Xfinity network goes against his totals.) Comcast should also be able to tell you what the activity, and web sites that were accessed with your account. I don't think it was using the Public portion of your modem, or your WiFi router, since you surely would have noticed a convoy of vehicles located in your driveway. WiFi signals have a limited range.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:12 PM
Sage

A year or so back when Infinity offered their new modem that incorporated the wifi feature, I declined.

What I did not like about the Xfinity included wifi was that I had to re-register and change pass words on all accounts or equipment using my existing wifi to the Xfinity device.

I had my own ASUS router and approved Comcast/Xfinity compatible Motorola modem.

I realize there may be a Comcast issue, but as stated earlier I am waiting to hear back from ASUS techies first.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:15 PM
Sage

After much discussion between myself, Comcast, Assi/Motorola (modem) and ASUS (router), the conclusion I reached was the router and wifi security were the issue.
ASUS volunteered to walk me through a complete delet of the router contents and then re-set all the parameters to insure maximum security.

What was not appealing to me was the router has no capability of router access logging, or allowing/dis-allowing access.

My son just replaced my router with a Netgear "smart WiFi router".

Now set up with specific allowances of devices and or individuals allowed to have access. Logging capability with identification of access being attempted.

I can now watch activity minute by minute or hour or day or week or instant. It is obvious even with new password and equipment there is something in the area "pinging" the router for access with steady frequency.

I got an education the last few days about vulnerability.

My next challenge is to convince Comcast that some of their customers have a problem such as mine. They cannot be allowed to maintain the position tha teverything on their end is running OK and there are no red flags up in their system. Hence allowing that internet usage, like mine can go from normal to extereme usage without concern.

We shall see.
Thanx for all the input to date.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
After much discussion between myself, Comcast, Assi/Motorola (modem) and ASUS (router), the conclusion I reached was the router and wifi security were the issue.
ASUS volunteered to walk me through a complete delet of the router contents and then re-set all the parameters to insure maximum security.

What was not appealing to me was the router has no capability of router access logging, or allowing/dis-allowing access.

My son just replaced my router with a Netgear "smart WiFi router".

Now set up with specific allowances of devices and or individuals allowed to have access. Logging capability with identification of access being attempted.

I can now watch activity minute by minute or hour or day or week or instant. It is obvious even with new password and equipment there is something in the area "pinging" the router for access with steady frequency.

I got an education the last few days about vulnerability.

My next challenge is to convince Comcast that some of their customers have a problem such as mine. They cannot be allowed to maintain the position tha teverything on their end is running OK and there are no red flags up in their system. Hence allowing that internet usage, like mine can go from normal to extereme usage without concern.

We shall see.
Thanx for all the input to date.
Can you tell me which software you went with to monitor your wi-fi? The software that is pinging?
Old 03-02-2017, 09:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
If you are using a Comcast wireless router it may have an open xFinity network.

Yes, and we had to go into our Comcast account and turn that off. And ours turn itself back on eventually, so we keep checking every few months.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:00 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Yes, and we had to go into our Comcast account and turn that off. And ours turn itself back on eventually, so we keep checking every few months.

That is why I bought my own cable modem and wifi router.

Tags
comcast, useage, security, passwords, change

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.