Win10 Never doesn't Mean Never?

Closed Thread
Old 07-02-2016, 11:36 AM

I prefer Linux over Microsoft Windows, and over Apple. With Linux I'm free to do what I want.

Wayne Sallee
Wayne@WayneSallee.com
Wayne Sallee . Com
Old 07-02-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexxfan View Post
That is a very serious allegation. What is your source for this?
--
Bob C
Your answer is in the same post that you quoted from. :-)

Wayne Sallee
Wayne@WayneSallee.com
Wayne Sallee . Com
Old 07-02-2016, 11:44 AM
Sage

I run Ubuntu Linux on a laptop and the systems I use at work are all SLES and RHEL Linux. The Apple Mac OS is actually Unix under the covers - you can pop a terminal window and do whatever you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Sallee View Post
I prefer Linux over Microsoft Windows, and over Apple. With Linux I'm free to do what I want.

Wayne Sallee
Wayne@WayneSallee.com
Wayne Sallee . Com
Old 07-02-2016, 12:04 PM

Yes that's one thing that I like about Apple, is that it is run on Unix, though it's been modified quite a bit. I'd like it better if apple used completely open source unix, but it's understandable why they want to keep their version to themselves.

Because Unix and Linux are so similar, many things that can run on Linux can run on Unix, and vise versa. "Cups" is a open source printer driver that is maintained by Apple, and also used by Linux.

Wayne Sallee
Wayne@WayneSallee.com
Wayne Sallee . Com
Old 07-03-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Your answer is in the same post that you quoted from. :-)

Wayne Sallee
Wayne@WayneSallee.com
Wayne Sallee . Com
Its hard for me to imagine that it is a deliberate Microsoft corporate policy to intentionally introduce bugs into Windows 7 in order to encourage migration to Windows 10. It sounded like you were saying you had some kind of official confirmation of that, but I don't see any such in the post you refer to. It may well be that fewer resources are being devoted to servicing Windows 7 than in the past, and that might possibly have some bearing on the quality of the fixes they're shipping, but in my opinion that's hardly evidence of some underhanded ploy. But whatever. Each to their own. I've got 4 machines on Windows 10 and I like it a lot. Its difficult for me to understand all the negativity. Perhaps its because they gave it away for free that everyone is so cynical. Its pretty clear to me that Windows 10 is the future of Windows and in view of the fact that I have a decades long investment in hardware and software for the platform, its simply not an option for me to switch to something else and so I gladly upgraded. In the past I had to pay hundreds of dollars to upgrade all my machines.
--
Bob C
Old 07-05-2016, 08:31 AM

I never said that they were deliberately making Windows 7 buggy. And no official confirmation.

But they are putting so much effort into forcing people over to windows 10 that they don't care as much for the people that want to stay with Windows 7.

Just like when they put so much effort into making a touch screen operating system, that they did not care much for those wanting a desktop operating system. Now with windows 10 they are giving people more of a desktop system than Windows 8.

But they are being underhanded in the way that they are forcing people over to windows 10 by upgrading peoples computers to windows 10 when they don't want windows 10. And I don't care about the excuse that people have "recommended updates" checked. That's just an excuse.

Also with Windows 10, which is really just "Windows" because there will be no more versions. It will be a rolling update, and Microsoft took away the option to turn off updates.

As for spending hundreds of dollars to upgrade your computers, I don't spend any money to upgrade my computers' operating systems, as I use Linux. Linux will run on any computer.

Bob, you should try out Mageia Linux. You will probably like it.

Wayne Sallee
Wayne@WayneSallee.com
Wayne Sallee . Com
Old 07-06-2016, 04:39 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
I never said that they were deliberately making Windows 7 buggy. And no official confirmation.

But they are putting so much effort into forcing people over to windows 10 that they don't care as much for the people that want to stay with Windows 7.

Just like when they put so much effort into making a touch screen operating system, that they did not care much for those wanting a desktop operating system. Now with windows 10 they are giving people more of a desktop system than Windows 8.

But they are being underhanded in the way that they are forcing people over to windows 10 by upgrading peoples computers to windows 10 when they don't want windows 10. And I don't care about the excuse that people have "recommended updates" checked. That's just an excuse.

Also with Windows 10, which is really just "Windows" because there will be no more versions. It will be a rolling update, and Microsoft took away the option to turn off updates.

As for spending hundreds of dollars to upgrade your computers, I don't spend any money to upgrade my computers' operating systems, as I use Linux. Linux will run on any computer.

Bob, you should try out Mageia Linux. You will probably like it.

Wayne Sallee
Wayne@WayneSallee.com
Wayne Sallee . Com
Wayne: your not saying it but based on the unethical behavior of so many in our society today I wouldn't put it past any corporation political party etc to do the unthinkable. So as a smart man once said "trust but verify" I understand obsolescence but I also believe that choice is my right and the term "free" causes me to pause.

I open this question to anyone. The Villages and surrounding area seem not to have an apple store. Best Buy will order you one Is there a better option than Best Buy? Is it best to travel down to Orlando to the Apple store even so should do I need to carry my tower and laptop to transfer data to the apple purchase? Yes I am a newbie when it comes to this stuff
Old 07-06-2016, 06:34 AM
Sage

There is an Apple Group in The Villages. Check the Rec Guide. I am sure you can obtain some excellent advice from them.

Regarding the actual purchase of an Apple system, check out the refurbished equipment on the Apple website. You can see some substantial discounts and all refurbished equipment comes with the normal 1-year warranty. An AppleCare 3-year warranty can be purchased inexpensively through Apple Authorized Dealers on the web for less than Apple sells them directly and provides unlimited phone support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Wayne: your not saying it but based on the unethical behavior of so many in our society today I wouldn't put it past any corporation political party etc to do the unthinkable. So as a smart man once said "trust but verify" I understand obsolescence but I also believe that choice is my right and the term "free" causes me to pause.

I open this question to anyone. The Villages and surrounding area seem not to have an apple store. Best Buy will order you one Is there a better option than Best Buy? Is it best to travel down to Orlando to the Apple store even so should do I need to carry my tower and laptop to transfer data to the apple purchase? Yes I am a newbie when it comes to this stuff
Old 07-20-2016, 02:02 PM

It's only free until the end of the month. Then it will cost you. And that's only if you have Windows 7 or 8.1. If you go to Best Buy, you'll see the full retail version of of Windows 10 for about $129. If you like the version you have, stick with it but just know that it will cost you to put it on there in August. However, if you put it on there and took it off, it should be licensed to you now so you could still get it again.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:49 PM
Gold member

There is a reason MS is offering 10 for "FREE".
Programs are being transitioned to "Cloud based".
You pay a monthly charge, for your favorite program.
MS has never given anything away for "FREE"....
Old 07-24-2016, 05:00 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by July Hancock View Post
I use GWX to stop Windows 10 from bugging me and forcing me to upgrade. It tried to force install itself once but failed.
What is GWX and where did you get it?
Old 07-24-2016, 05:12 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by July Hancock View Post
I use GWX to stop Windows 10 from bugging me and forcing me to upgrade. It tried to force install itself once but failed.
Window 10 window popped up giving me a one minute count down until it loaded. I installed Never 10. The first time it appeared I pulled the battery from my laptop.

I restarted again and wind 10 again appeared with a 1 minute count down. This time I noticed in white lettering at the bottom left of the window something to the effect of perhaps later. I clicked on to it and the window disappeared and hasn't returned for the last two days. At this stage in my life I don't look forward for the days passing too quickly but my God I can't wait for July 29th
Old 07-24-2016, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dog View Post
What is GWX and where did you get it?
Google has the answer,
Old 08-05-2016, 08:36 AM

They shouldn't be bothering you anymore now that the free period is over. It stopped popping up on my computer at least.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:10 PM
Email Reported As Spam

an upgrade to Win 10 was scheduled for Aug 2. So is it safe for me to uninstall never windows 10?
Closed Thread

Tags
windows, everyday, win10, win, laptop

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.