Wireless router is over 10 years old?

Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2014, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts
Default Wireless router is over 10 years old?

I am still using my Linksys-G 2.4 GHz router rated at 54 mbps.
I have had download speeds above 50 and usually run around 25.
I have been told there is no need to buy anything newer as they don't do much more than this one.....is that really true?

I forgot to mention all my wireless devices work fine with what I describe as finger snap speed!
Old 11-20-2014, 07:40 PM

If you happy with the speed, it is probably not worth changing. A new modern router would be faster but it might not be noticeable depending on how you use your system. See if one of your friends have a newer router and bring you wireless devices over to their house and see if there is a measurable difference and they you make the determination if it is worth the price and labor to set it up.

Newer plus more expensive technology does not always = better except in the eyes of the salesman.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

The 50 could go to 100 within your network(home). Your internet speed is probablynot over 50 so external speed would not change. Security should be better. But, I say if it works don't change.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:47 PM
Sage

I agree with the above comment about security. If your router has only WEP, I would upgrade to one with WPA Personal. Otherwise, if it meets your needs, don't change. There are plenty of other bottlenecks in between you and the data you seek no matter what router you have.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.