Color Consultant

Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2016, 09:25 AM
Veteran member
Default Color Consultant

Have any of you used a color consultant before doing interior painting? I really want to paint the interior walls now that I've had the crown moulding installed, but I am feeling totally overwhelmed by the choices. Help!

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 12-05-2016, 10:42 AM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is online now
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Color Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanabanana73 View Post
Have any of you used a color consultant before doing interior painting? I really want to paint the interior walls now that I've had the crown moulding installed, but I am feeling totally overwhelmed by the choices. Help!
Sherwin Williams has consultants. Residential cost are $95.00 But you receive a $50.00 Coupon for paint. We usually use the coupon when we pick up the paint. You can also use the coupon yourself or any contractor you choose. I hope this helps Len
Old 12-07-2016, 08:38 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investment Painting Contractors View Post
Sherwin Williams has consultants. Residential cost are $95.00 But you receive a $50.00 Coupon for paint. We usually use the coupon when we pick up the paint. You can also use the coupon yourself or any contractor you choose. I hope this helps Len
Am I correct in assuming that the consultant comes to the house so I don't have to schlep leftover pieces of flooring and couch cushions to the store? Besides, it always comes down to the lighting, and natural light, in a room.

Trying to find a warm, light gray that will pull in cream is not the easiest thing to do.......Yeah. I know. Sounds kinda weird. But the right gray can do wondrous things to update a room and it really pops white woodwork. The right shade of gray can make a room look modern and serene but the wrong shade will scream dingy. Grays are tough, especially with cream.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:18 PM

We went into the Sherwin Williams store at Lake Sumter Landing and they arranged for a color consultant to come out to our house a couple of years ago. As Investment Painters said above, the cost was $95 and if the painter used their (Sherwin Williams) paint, you could give the painter the $50 coupon to use towards the cost of the paint. A good deal!

The color consultant was most helpful for us. She had many books with her to compare colors, but once inside she had a very good idea of what would work for us and also gave us a lot of decorating tips. She also suggested painting the master BR tray ceiling. The ceiling to be the same (fairly light) color as the bedroom and the tray part the same color but lighter shade. Looks great. We never would have thought of that.

So in the end, $45. for that color consultant service was definitely money well spent!
Old 12-08-2016, 07:00 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoSteveO View Post
We went into the Sherwin Williams store at Lake Sumter Landing and they arranged for a color consultant to come out to our house a couple of years ago. As Investment Painters said above, the cost was $95 and if the painter used their (Sherwin Williams) paint, you could give the painter the $50 coupon to use towards the cost of the paint. A good deal!

The color consultant was most helpful for us. She had many books with her to compare colors, but once inside she had a very good idea of what would work for us and also gave us a lot of decorating tips. She also suggested painting the master BR tray ceiling. The ceiling to be the same (fairly light) color as the bedroom and the tray part the same color but lighter shade. Looks great. We never would have thought of that.

So in the end, $45. for that color consultant service was definitely money well spent!

Thank you, HiHoSteveO,

I have picked out a lot of paint colors, but it takes me a long time sometimes and I have had a few do-overs. This does sound like money well spent.

(I think a tray ceiling is a nice design feature. I don't have a tray ceiling, but I have seen them painted in the way you describe and it looks really good. A painted tray ceiling can pull the whole room together and can look downright elegant.)
Old 12-08-2016, 01:50 PM
Platinum member

OP - Having the same dilemma, I am happy that you asked the question. Thank you Investment Painters and HiHo for your information - will prove to be valuable for those of us who are color challenged -- LOL
Old 12-08-2016, 03:03 PM

We used Carolyn Campbell (874-9872) a few years ago for selecting color and accents. Very helpful. Her husband Tom does painting. Brings in a crew of retired painters. Six or eight of them showed up at 7:30 am to paint everything but the bedrooms and bathrooms, were cleaned up and gone by 10:30
Old 12-11-2016, 09:37 AM
Soaring Parsley

Who knew there was such a thing?

SW has announced The Color of the Year for 2017.

My excitement over this is boundless. (yay)

Introducing the 2017 Color of the Year – Poised Taupe SW 6039

Actually, I have been wondering if all those shades of gray are as popular in Florida now as they are where I come from. (This color counts as gray because it is greige.) I went to a big deal home show last summer and almost every house was all done up in grays and various graydual tones.

But........Mark Twain supposedly said, "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always 20 years behind the times."

But.......about that Twain quote -- HEY! It cannot be attributed, not really, not directly......and so it could be fake news.

Anyway, are grays as popular in Florida now as they are in Cincinnati?

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 12-11-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:49 AM
Veteran member

Pantone picks a color of the year every year too.

COLOR OF THE YEAR 2017 - Greenery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Old 12-11-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:

My excitement over this is boundless. (yay)

Introducing the 2017 Color of the Year – Poised Taupe SW 6039

Actually, I have been wondering if all those shades of gray are as popular in Florida now as they are where I come from. (This color counts as gray because it is greige.) I went to a big deal home show last summer and almost every house was all done up in grays and various graydual tones.

But........Mark Twain supposedly said, "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always 20 years behind the times."

But.......about that Twain quote -- HEY! It cannot be attributed, not really, not directly......and so it could be fake news.

Anyway, are grays as popular in Florida now as they are in Cincinnati?

Boomer
We had Donna from Sherwin Williams come to our house to help with the colors. We now have grays throughout, including a dark gray (pewter) in our kitchen. It looks fabulous!
Old 12-12-2016, 06:32 PM
Sage

We painted greige in our home 8 years ago. It required 7 trips to the paint store in a pouring rain that day to "get it right" after trying samples on the wall. It was right until a few weeks ago when I had my first cataract surgery. Now, with my new lenses, it has a slightly "lavender" cast. I hope the S-W color consultant has good eyes 'cause it's time to repaint.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:01 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
We painted greige in our home 8 years ago. It required 7 trips to the paint store in a pouring rain that day to "get it right" after trying samples on the wall. It was right until a few weeks ago when I had my first cataract surgery. Now, with my new lenses, it has a slightly "lavender" cast. I hope the S-W color consultant has good eyes 'cause it's time to repaint.

I know exactly what you mean, Carla B.

I am trying to decide whether I should do further fretting, here in print, about paint colors. I can go on and on about paint colors.

I need to get that consultant lined up soon.

Last edited by Boomer; 12-27-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:19 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrafty View Post
We had Donna from Sherwin Williams come to our house to help with the colors. We now have grays throughout, including a dark gray (pewter) in our kitchen. It looks fabulous!
Here I sit, looking at little squares of color from SW: Gray Matters, Mink, Intellectual Gray, Dovetail, Gray Clouds, Versatile Gray, Proper Gray, Worldly Gray, Online -- (that one was a real reach to come up with a name) and Acier -- (I don't think that is even a word but it is a nice shade of gray) and I could go back to SW and pick up even more grays.

I will be getting a color consultant.

Last edited by Boomer; 12-27-2016 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Here I sit, looking at little squares of color from SW: Gray Matters, Mink, Intellectual Gray, Dovetail, Gray Clouds, Versatile Gray, Proper Gray, Worldly Gray, Online -- (that one was a real reach to come up with a name) and Acier -- (I don't think that is even a word but it is a nice shade of gray) and I could go back to SW and pick up even more grays.

I will be getting a color consultant.
Well, please report back on your experience!

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 01-17-2017, 10:00 AM
Soaring Parsley

50 Shades of Greige? How I wish there were only 50.

Gray is everywhere -- elsewhere. Magazines. Home Shows. Cabinets. Giving gray a Google can occupy me for far too long.

Greige counts as gray -- some shades more than others.

I am liking greige in this house. Greige goes warm -- maybe even a little coastal in certain shades. The right greige can look really good with stainless appliances. Greige goes wonderfully with white. Greige tries so hard to do what I want it to do. What more could I want? Right?

I have one of those little kits with the tiny roller and the nice size poster board stuff. I bought a sample of my favorite (so far) greige. I now have good size color samples stuck all over the place so I can live with the color for a while -- and also quiz company at great length. (Mr. Boomer just does not seem to care when I try to talk about greige.)

Oh well, for now, I must spare you from my going on and on, even more, about my new best friend Greige.

Last edited by Boomer; 01-17-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
interior, color, consultant, installed, moulding

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.