Patio Sliding-Door Locks

Closed Thread
Old 12-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Default Patio Sliding-Door Locks

We have a Gardenia home with the double-sliding doors to the lanai. I am looking for a way to increase security with some type of locking device. Has anyone had any experience with a "Cal Lock" for these sliding doors or does anyone have any other suggestions. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:11 AM

My sweet neighbor made a strong board that fits in the channel and no one will ever be able to get in!

Plus it is painted and hides behind the blinds.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:31 PM

We have a board in the sliding door to our bedroom. This will not work on these doors. The sliding door from the living area to the lanai is comprised in essence of four sliding doors which open from the middle and push back in eith direction completely out of the way. The result is an opening to the lanai the width of the 4 doors.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Platinum member

We have the most wonderful locks on our sliders, and when home alone, I feel very secure. I bought them at Ace, but don't find them on their web site now.

If you go to Assured Lock Tool & Supply's web site and search ENG-5-sdl, ENG 10-sdl, and ENG 20-sdl you will see the locks. They do not allow the door to be lifted out of the track. Sorry that I can't do a link, but do think that the locks are worth a look. They come in black and white.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:41 AM

Thanks a lot. This is exactly what I've been looking for.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Platinum member
Default In addition

to whatever else you might have, the sheriff's office recommends that you place a dowel on top of the sliders which just rides on the top, no need to remove. This prevents anyone from lifting the doors out of the tracks. Even locked and a stick or whatever at the bottom, they can still be lifted out unless there is not room thus the dowel. By the way, Sumter Sheriff's office offers a free security inspection of your home....very helpful. This is what we did. Just simply call and schedule.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Eternal Member
Default Slider locks

A Villages maintenance person put nails in the track above the top of my sliders so they can not be lifted out.

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Gold member

Another step you could take is to install one of those local alarms on the wall which has a contact on the door. Break the contact and a high pitched local alarm goes off. These are installed on homes with pools. While the noise would be a pain every time you open the doors you could leave the batteries out and only install them if you are planning an extended absence rather than paying to hook up to an alarm company.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Smile Security

Hi folks. My husband and I are future TV residents and I am concerned about your talk of security in the Villages. Are there a lot of break-ins there, or are you just being careful? We are coming down in a few weeks to look for our future "dream" home and want to be informed. Thanks!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.