Electrician recommendation

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2017, 07:39 PM
Veteran member
Default Electrician recommendation

We're moving to our house in TV soon (yay!) and plan on putting a freezer and a refrigerator in the garage. We need to have an electrician check to see that the circuit for the outlet there can take that load and possibly replace the 2-outlet box with a 4-outlet box. Can anybody recommend an electrician for a small job like that who works at the south end (village of Dunedin)?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies!
Old 01-02-2017, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

Quick reply, no to putting both on the same circuit. My humble suggestion, a dedicated circuit for each. I have used Lenhart's, ECI, and R&A for various reasons, and would recommend in that order.

Also, you may want to reconsider having these in the garage, especially during the summer. Please do a little more investigating before you do this. If you have a west facing garage, it will be getting very hot in the summer time which is going to be very hard for these appliances to work well. If the garage is not vented, you are just going add even more heat to it.
Hope this helps, and good luck with your project.

Welcome to TV.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
We're moving to our house in TV soon (yay!) and plan on putting a freezer and a refrigerator in the garage. We need to have an electrician check to see that the circuit for the outlet there can take that load and possibly replace the 2-outlet box with a 4-outlet box. Can anybody recommend an electrician for a small job like that who works at the south end (village of Dunedin)?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies!
Cliff @ Pike's Electric 352-748-6251 or Kevin at Lenhart Electric -352-748-5818. Both do excellent work. They'll add another circuit for you. Plenty of people have a spare fridge in the garage, and they are definitely convenient.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:42 AM

We have used Lenhart's five or six times and have been pleased with every project they have done for us.

Here is a trick we learned from a neighbor that we would like to pass on. Code requires that outlets in the garage be wired GFCI. This means that the Ground Fault circuit can trip and you may not even notice that electricity is off. Food in the refrigerator/freezer can spoil. The recommendation we got from our neighbor was to place a small electric fan on top of the refrigerator that uses the same outlet and leave it on 24/7. If the fan goes off, you will know that the refrigerator circuit has tripped. Perhaps in time to save your food.

We also put a $5 refrigerator thermometer on the shelf as well. This helps to know, in a power failure, what the temperature is when you open the door, and if food can be kept or needs to be thrown out.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:27 AM
Sage

There are also monitors that can indicate a power failure, plug into the same outlet as the refrigerator and freezer. Do not use one that has a wire that goes past the door seal, you typically get enough air leakage to cause other problems.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:09 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for the recommendations and ideas! I currently have a freezer in my garage in my house in North Carolina, which isn't quite as warm or humid as Florida, but pretty close. It's just too handy and there's nowhere else in the house for it. The fridge (if I do that) will be the one which came with the house. The wife does NOT love it. She wants a French door with bottom pull-out freezer, not a side-by-side. Plus the ice maker seems to make about six cubes a day and the water dispenser can take minutes to fill even an 8 ounce tumbler. So I figure putting it in the garage to use for beer & sodas and the occasional watermelon. I hadn't thought about needing a separate circuit and I appreciate your pointing out the need for it!
Old 01-04-2017, 08:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
Thanks for the recommendations and ideas! I currently have a freezer in my garage in my house in North Carolina, which isn't quite as warm or humid as Florida, but pretty close. It's just too handy and there's nowhere else in the house for it. The fridge (if I do that) will be the one which came with the house. The wife does NOT love it. She wants a French door with bottom pull-out freezer, not a side-by-side. Plus the ice maker seems to make about six cubes a day and the water dispenser can take minutes to fill even an 8 ounce tumbler. So I figure putting it in the garage to use for beer & sodas and the occasional watermelon. I hadn't thought about needing a separate circuit and I appreciate your pointing out the need for it!
Check the filter in the refrigerator to see if it is clogged, and make sure the water line is not kinked. I believe the valve is either open or closed, and cannot not be partially closed.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Being recently retired we find no need for extra refrigerator/freezer storage. Not to mention the space taken up and additional energy cost.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

A refrigerator and/or freezer in the garage is just fine.

I've never heard of anyone (and most in my neighborhood, including myself, do it), as long as you do what you're talking about...and have the proper electrical circuits to handle the loads.

They are extremely convenient and allow purchases from places like Costco/Sam's to be split up and stored for later consumption.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:24 PM
Veteran member

Yeah, we've purchased meat in bulk from Sam's Club, BJ's Warehouse or Costco for years. That's what the standup freezer is for. Well, that and other frozen foods on sale at various grocery stores. Having the second fridge out there would just be a convenience for beer & sodas and occasional overflow. Since we've got a 2 1/2 car garage and only one car, we've got the room. And it's either use the fridge we're replacing, donate it or throw it away. My wife really likes the idea of me putting watermelons in a second fridge instead of the main one.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:59 PM
Sage

I use Lenhart.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:04 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Hi my name is Karina with Windows Of Central Florida and we have an electrician on staff that can help you with your needs. Call us today for your FREE estimate today at 352-217-8151. Check us out at our website: Windows of Central Florida
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	WCF.logo.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	66968  
Old 03-21-2017, 04:35 PM

Kevin at lenhart for sure!
Old 03-21-2017, 04:51 PM
Platinum member

Pikes. Reasonable prices and efficient.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:34 PM
Veteran member

We went with Lenhart, who came on time, did the work for the quoted price and answered several unrelated questions in a helpful way. If I have electrical needs in the future, I'll be calling them again. Thanks again everyone for your helpful suggestions!
Closed Thread

Tags
electrician, box, recommend, small, job

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.