Garage Door Vents

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2017, 07:25 AM
Default Garage Door Vents

Does anyone know of a contractor or handyman who
installs garage door vents?
Old 03-21-2017, 07:37 AM
Sage

Without a vent in your garage ceiling , vents in the door are useless--not enough temperature differential to create a convection flow
Old 03-21-2017, 02:41 PM

I do have a vent in my Garage ceiling. The garage gets really hot in the summer.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Garage Door Vents

Garage door vents are unnecessary. Use the garage window w/screen intact, limit it's opening to 8" (very easy to do), construct a cheap wood frame with screening to replace the attic access and thermodynamics will do the rest. Garage temperature will never exceed 5 degrees above ambient at peak during the day.
I have just installed a cheap 20" box fan ( weight about 6 lbs.) and mounted it to my attic access screen. ( negative side of fan towards garage space) About 10AM or so I switch it on and so far the garage temperature has not exceeded the ambient temperature at any point of the day. Also, the attic space temperature above the garage has decreased by 40 degrees. I haven't measured the rest of the attic but I'm sure the immediate area space surrounding the garage attic space has decreased as well.
Cheap fix, awesome result.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:06 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

When you do get an answer and have the vents installed can you please post the price and results? I would appreciate it.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
Garage door vents are unnecessary. Use the garage window w/screen intact, limit it's opening to 8" (very easy to do), construct a cheap wood frame with screening to replace the attic access and thermodynamics will do the rest. Garage temperature will never exceed 5 degrees above ambient at peak during the day.
I have just installed a cheap 20" box fan ( weight about 6 lbs.) and mounted it to my attic access screen. ( negative side of fan towards garage space) About 10AM or so I switch it on and so far the garage temperature has not exceeded the ambient temperature at any point of the day. Also, the attic space temperature above the garage has decreased by 40 degrees. I haven't measured the rest of the attic but I'm sure the immediate area space surrounding the garage attic space has decreased as well.
Cheap fix, awesome result.
I have a pull-down staircase, so I just prop the door open a few inches to let the heated air escape. However, I've read elsewhere in these forums that doing this will defeat the "firewall" in your garage, and allow a fire to burn more quickly. The way I figure, if you're gonna have a fire in your garage, you've got plenty of trouble anyway. If you got one of those basic, thin metal un-insulated garage doors, you may want to add some radiant barrier insulation to the inside. This seemed to make a very noticeable difference for me. You can buy rolls
of this stuff at Loews and do-it-yourself for less than $100 (it's very easy to do). Or, you can pay someone $300 and they will do the same thing for you.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:42 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Default The Solar Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by key2144 View Post
Does anyone know of a contractor or handyman who
installs garage door vents?
This is something that we can help you with. Normally we install the vents when we install our garage fan (THE SOLAR GUYS | GARAGE FAN). As others have mentioned you might not get a noticeable difference by just installing the vents on the door. Opening the attic access is a good idea but our fan comes with a fire damper so that in the unlikely case you have a garage fire you aren't sucking it up into the attic. We also do radiant barrier and blown-in insulation for the attic. Give us a call and we can give you a quote right over the phone. 866-669-5259
Closed Thread

Tags
garage, vents, door, handyman, installs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.