Gutters

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2015, 12:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Gutters

Recommendations wanted for someone to install gutters on my new house.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post

Stipes
Old 07-03-2015, 02:16 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Have used Hills Seamless Gutters (352-653-2986) twice and have been happy with service, workmanship and price. Have also recommended them to other's who shared the same experience.
Skip 2
Old 07-03-2015, 02:22 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

Hills

Good reliable and reasonable

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 07-03-2015, 02:31 PM

Call Daniel Kilcrease Gutters. Great job, good price 352-693-8212
Old 07-03-2015, 03:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Another vote for Hills.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:50 PM
Sage

Does anyone know if Hills does Gutter Helmets?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

M and M.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:52 PM
Gold member

Another vote for Stipes !!!!
Old 07-03-2015, 06:54 PM
Sage

Another vote for Stipes !!!!

Because he takes pride in his work, not just a job
Old 07-03-2015, 10:57 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Whoever you use, make sure they use enough brackets. It is difficult to compare sometimes because one company will say, "Our gutter price is only $1.00 per foot"......what they may not tell you is that they charge more for downspouts, etc.....

As a person who climbs on roofs in The Villages everyday, I see some gutter jobs where they only put a bracket every 5-6 feet or more..I've seen brackets even 6-7 feet apart. This is not enough. One should be able to place a ladder against a gutter without crushing it.

A good gutter installation should have the gutter thick enough that it does not bend when leaned against. I would insist on gutter brackets no more than 3 feet apart at the most.....preferably every 2 foot apart or so.

I know it can be a contentious issue, but I also like to see splash guards installed on the inside corner pieces when the valleys are large to prevent waterfalling during a hard rain. Some say that this can hurt the sheathing, but I have not yet seen evidence of that.

Make sure the gutter is large enough to carry the amount of water it needs to, especially on long runs.....also make sure you have enough downspouts and they are placed in the proper areas.

Frank
Old 07-03-2015, 11:10 PM

Another recomendation for M&M
Old 07-04-2015, 07:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Whoever you use, make sure they use enough brackets. It is difficult to compare sometimes because one company will say, "Our gutter price is only $1.00 per foot"......what they may not tell you is that they charge more for downspouts, etc.....

As a person who climbs on roofs in The Villages everyday, I see some gutter jobs where they only put a bracket every 5-6 feet or more..I've seen brackets even 6-7 feet apart. This is not enough. One should be able to place a ladder against a gutter without crushing it.

A good gutter installation should have the gutter thick enough that it does not bend when leaned against. I would insist on gutter brackets no more than 3 feet apart at the most.....preferably every 2 foot apart or so.

I know it can be a contentious issue, but I also like to see splash guards installed on the inside corner pieces when the valleys are large to prevent waterfalling during a hard rain. Some say that this can hurt the sheathing, but I have not yet seen evidence of that.

Make sure the gutter is large enough to carry the amount of water it needs to, especially on long runs.....also make sure you have enough downspouts and they are placed in the proper areas.

Frank
Thanks for the good information.

So you're saying that is no standard in the building codes for how many brackets and how far apart they must be placed?

Old 07-04-2015, 09:35 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Thanks for the good information.

So you're saying that is no standard in the building codes for how many brackets and how far apart they must be placed?
That is correct. Up north, we cared about bracket spacing because of snow and ice damming, etc. Down here it is not as critical, as the "load" would only be copious amounts of water during a downpour.

To me it is more of "best practice". I should be able to make the assumption that if I carefully place a ladder on a gutter at a 75 degree angle, it should not deflect.

The reality is that I need to check first before placing the ladder on the gutter, because if the ladder has NO brackets near it, a cheap, thin gutter will crush. A better quality thinker gutter installed with brackets every 2-3 feet will lessen the chance of this happening. But, if the gutter people need to be competitive pricewise, and the homeowner always goes for the lowest price then sometimes the gutter guy might save a few bucks by using less brackets. Using 20 less brackets on a home saves the installer some money, and "Hey, the homeowner will never know.....all gutters look the same from the ground, and they will never climb on the roof...."

So...the guy that perhaps quotes a better quality job with proper thickness and brackets, etc, is $100 more, he probably will not get the job because he was not the cheapest, all because no one is comparing apples to apples. On the other hand, it is also unwise to assume the higher price will be the better job...so the lesson here is to get the specs....how many brackets, how many downspouts, what is the size and thickness of the gutter, how far away will the leaders be from the house, do you go under the sidewalk with the water, using draintile, etc, do you install splash guards, etc, etc.

As with everything in life, details are everything....

Hope this helps!!

Frank
Old 07-04-2015, 12:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip2MySue View Post
Have used Hills Seamless Gutters (352-653-2986) twice and have been happy with service, workmanship and price. Have also recommended them to other's who shared the same experience.
Skip 2
Me too.

Tags
gutters, house, install, recommendations, wanted

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.