Move cable outlet up walls

Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Veteran member
Default Move cable outlet up walls

The outlets for electric and cable are the standard 12" to 15" in my home. I want to mount the flat screens on the wall in the bedrooms and need to move the outlets up so we don't have wires exposed. Any recommendations on who to get to do this? I usually do this myself, but not going to have the time or tools to do it this trip down. When we come down full time and I bring my tools, I'll install the surround system and speakers myself. Not a big deal, but I'm really into the audio / video thing. I was thinking about approaching an electrician that was working in the area and asking for an estimate, but that might be too time consuming. Has anyone tried doing this?

Last edited by laryb; 08-15-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Sage

Hi Lary,

Mike and I bought a cover for the cords that mounts to the wall and it's paintable. Not quite the same as having the cords in the wall, but it works for us. Think it was Lowes where we bought the cord covers.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_161133-170-C30_0_?productId=1148201&Ntt=cable+cord+covers&Ntk =i_products&pl=1&currentURL=
/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=cable%20cord%20covers$ y=0$x=0

The Villages Florida

Last edited by pooh; 08-16-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Platinum member

WE have used Bella Electric in Oxford to move our outlets around. They do nice work.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I also do that stuff myself. So two options. Wait until you have the tools, or go buy the tools. I went and bought the tools I needed to move mine. Yes, now I have two of each, but the tools were cheaper then hiring it done and I know it was done right by my doing it. The cables and wires usually run stright down the wall, so moving them higher is fairly easy. You need wire cutters, sheetrock saw, screw drivers, putty knife, paint brush, spackle, and a few more. I had to buy a drill for mine because I wanted it on a different wall. But those tools are good to have here anyway until I move mine down.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I also do that stuff myself. So two options. Wait until you have the tools, or go buy the tools. I went and bought the tools I needed to move mine. Yes, now I have two of each, but the tools were cheaper then hiring it done and I know it was done right by my doing it. The cables and wires usually run stright down the wall, so moving them higher is fairly easy. You need wire cutters, sheetrock saw, screw drivers, putty knife, paint brush, spackle, and a few more. I had to buy a drill for mine because I wanted it on a different wall. But those tools are good to have here anyway until I move mine down.
My concern isn't the tools, it's the time and unfamiliarity of the construction. I assume it's not going to be easy getting into the attic (or crawl space) if needed with the cathedral ceilings. Looking at a couple of pictures a friend sent me during construction, the electrical code is different down there. In Mass, or at least when my house was built, all wiring came through holes drilled at the top plate of the stud wall and are stapled to the vertical studs. Down there, they run the wiring through the studs horizontally, using a lot less wire. Did you find enough slack to put a recepticle in that run of wire? I plan to use recessed plates so I can use ultra slim mounts and keep them close to the wall.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Default moving outlets up the wall

Larry - You could also keep the existing outlet where it's at and extend the new outlet up the wall if you are locating the TV directly above the existing outlet. Then you would not have to patch a hole and deal with wires that may be stapled to the studs. I would guess that the addition of one outlet to the circuit would not creat a possible overload to the circuit. You could also repeat the same process for the cable connection.
Village of Largo
Lakeside Landings
Old 08-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Veteran member

Thanks everyone! What I guess I'll do is, once I decide if I'm going to do this myself, I'll take the faceplate off the existing outlet and see if the circuit ends there. If it does, then I'll just continue the circuit up the wall and use an old construction box. The cable is easy, just a splitter in the box because it's low voltage.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Sage

You can also cut or splice into an electrical circuit. The box may be a little crowded, but not impossible, and it is legal.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
You can also cut or splice into an electrical circuit. The box may be a little crowded, but not impossible, and it is legal.
Wasn't sure if it was legal, but that's what I'll probably do now that I know I can. And by the way Mulligan, retired from UWUA Local 464
Old 08-16-2010, 04:37 AM
Veteran member

We had ours done. Had new outlets put in. Mounted 52" lcd on the wall. Used a cat that works for Galaxy. did it on his own time and cost was very reasonable. let me check and see if I have his number...

Money out
Old 08-16-2010, 05:32 AM
Default Studs

Interior walls have metal studs with 24" spacing. When we had our 52" installed in the living room they placed wood 2x4s next to the metal studs to give the wall more strength. They snaked the wires through the attic to a front closet where we keep the cable box, DVD, etc. More expensive, but no clutter.

Audio Video Authority 352 516-7900

tilt mount $150
IR kit $150
HDML 30ft run/component/cat 5 $400 (more than 30' requires another component)
misc parts $30
recessed outlet behind TV $100
duplex outlet in closet $75

The last 2 items were done by a second guy, an electrician, who also helped with TV install, which is a 2 man job to hold that heavy sucker up while attaching to the wall mount.

Their work quality was excellent.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfarr View Post
Interior walls have metal studs with 24" spacing. When we had our 52" installed in the living room they placed wood 2x4s next to the metal studs to give the wall more strength. They snaked the wires through the attic to a front closet where we keep the cable box, DVD, etc. More expensive, but no clutter.

nt.
Hi, John. Out of curiousity, how did they put the wood studs next to the metal? Did they have to open up the wall and then close it?
Old 08-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Gold member

We also used the wire cover things. They can be painted the same color as wall and really you don't even notice them. Took only a few minutes to do.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Send a message via AIM to gregs238
Default free est

Family's Choice Electrical Repair Inc. will give a free est. 352-751-3794

http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr...lectrical.html
Old 10-04-2010, 08:00 AM

Any update on the "cat" that moves cable outlets? Phone Number?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.