Embarq DSL

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Default Embarq DSL

I signed up for Embarq DSL over the phone befor I got here , they brag about Hi Speed DSL in their ads. To make a long story short my old dial up was faster. After a whole day on the phone with Tech Support they say Its as good as I can get. Not being to tech savy whatever the speed download is called Im going to call it horsepower. At home (CO) I was at around 9600 horsepower out of 10000. Here Im at 2736 out of 3000. How can they call this HI Speed?
Anyone have any ideas? They say 3000 is all they offer even though I had several people tell me they have Embarq and they have faster speeds.
need for speed BENJ
Old 07-03-2009, 03:13 PM

DSL which travels over traditional copper wire phone lines is limited by distance. The farther you are from the phone company (Embarq) central office the slower your speed will be. This is a DSL limitation. If you are a few miles from the CO your speed will roll off rather dramatically. Generally there is not much they can do about this. I'm retired from Verizon Networks and the way they used to get around that was to run fiber optic cable out to a remote distribution point and run copper DSL from there to homes immediately around that point. These systems were called SLC's. There is virtually no speed penalty over fiber and the short copper connections to the homes from the remote point did little to hinder speed. This is something any phone company can do if they want to spend the money to bring in fast service. Verizon now has FIOS service in my area (Long Island, NY) and other areas where they run fiber optics right to your home. It's FAST! However, Verizon land line service in Florida is only in the six counties around Tampa. I would love to see them come to The Villages. Not holding my breath though. This comment assumes that you have no individual problem with your line that could also cause you to encounter slow speeds.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Platinum member
Default Ours Is OK

benj,

We too have Embarq but have no complaints. Able to d/load pics, videos, almost everything w/o issue. When we first got it a month ago they were troubleshooting someplace and it was terrible. Embarq said it would take 72 hours to repair. Generic answer but it was repaired and all is fine. Probably jinxed myself now. I dealt with Embarq on their web site via customer service chat. You'll need your acct number. Good luck.

F16
Old 07-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Platinum member
Default Embarq

is not my favorite ISP, but one thing about them.....you can always talk to someone in the support group that you can understand. Why? Because their jobs are here and not overseas!
Old 07-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Default DSL speeds

Try going to this website and checking your up and down speeds. Just click on one of the cities listed and wait while it does the test. I live in the country and get about 1300 kbps up and half that down. It's not bad. I will be moving to TV soon and would like to know what type of speeds you get on DSL and Comcast.

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Last edited by mgman; 07-26-2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: forgot url
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.