Need new Alarm Security Company

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2017, 02:28 PM
Veteran member
Default Need new Alarm Security Company

I have ADT for my security system. I have minimal security coverage and pay $46/month. They are now raising that cost to $50. I think that is way too much for a low level security system. I don't have cameras or video or even motion detectors, just alarms on 3 doors and 2 alarms in case of window glass breaking. Who do others use that may be less expensive but just as reputable? Please Note: I do not want the do it yourself type like Simplisafe. I am not mechanically inclined and do not want to attempt to set this up myself.
I was thinking of looking into "Guard Me" Security or "Villages Alarm", both advertising on TOTV and was wondering if anyone has used them in the past.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
I have ADT for my security system. I have minimal security coverage and pay $46/month. They are now raising that cost to $50. I think that is way too much for a low level security system. I don't have cameras or video or even motion detectors, just alarms on 3 doors and 2 alarms in case of window glass breaking. Who do others use that may be less expensive but just as reputable? Please Note: I do not want the do it yourself type like Simplisafe. I am not mechanically inclined and do not want to attempt to set this up myself.

I was thinking of looking into "Guard Me" Security or "Villages Alarm", both advertising on TOTV and was wondering if anyone has used them in the past.

I did the following last year with ADT. Call them up, demand they decrease the monthly fee to $29.95 or you will disconnect. It works.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:47 PM

If you are going to switch companies, take a look at simplisafe.com. You buy the wireless sensors you want, install them in minutes and their monitoring service is as low as $14.99/month. With the more expensive monitoring service, you can control the system from your smartphone as well as getting text messages when the system is armed/disarmed and if any sensors are tripped. Their system uses a cell phone connection (that they supply) so no need for a landline, and if you move you can take down the sensors and install them in your new place. We've had them for almost three years, at the same price, and have never had a problem. The best part is...... no contract, you can turn off the monitoring service anytime you want.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
I did the following last year with ADT. Call them up, demand they decrease the monthly fee to $29.95 or you will disconnect. It works.
Thank you, I will try that.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:59 PM
Veteran member

Another vote for SimpliSafe

Old 03-22-2017, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,144 Times in 2,245 Posts

If you are NOT interested in a monitored system, and just want to be notified, X10 makes a system that uses your landline and will call several numbers if a break-in is discovered. This link will take you to the security products webpage X10 Home Security Kit with Home Automation Bundle, you can buy ala cart for just what you want. Used this up North.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I have had Thoroughbread Security out of Ocala, fully monitored system. Installed 2.5 years ago and no issues. They install Honeywell equipment. Works with smartphone app so you can receive alterts, control the system and view reports remotely.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-22-2017, 05:36 PM

I am very pleased with Village Alarm. I have cameras, motion defectors, window sensors, etc. they have proven to be honest, reasonable, reasonably priced and technically up to date. Call André Gordon and discuss your needs. 352-446-0278.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:01 PM
Default Village Alarm

We are another satisfied custom of Andre, from The Villages Alarm. He is a local business owner, and we found him to be very honest and proficient in his field. Our system includes window and door alarms, motion detectors and glass breakage alarms. No need for a land line as all alarms are transmitted via a cellular service to a central monitoring system, which in turn notifies our local police or fire departments as needed. We also receive notifications on our cell phones of any alarms that occur, especially helpful when we are not at home. Give him a call. You will not be disappointed.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:12 AM
Veteran member

Thank you but I recently found out that I had signed a 3 year contract with ADT, don't remember doing that and don't know why I would have done that, but they did send me a copy of contract (guess I never read it all). Anyway, I'm stuck with them for another year or so. But, I did get them to drop the price back down to what I was paying before the increase.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,563 Times in 509 Posts

We just had a security and camera system installed by Andre, owner of Village Alarms, and his super camera installation tech, Dave. Both were great to work with and Andre was more than fair with the installation price and monthly monitoring.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:54 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Simplisafe is the best system. Cost is $14.99 a month for a fully monitored system. You can have door alarms, camera's, glass breakage, panic buttons, and most other options. They call immediately and dispatch if you don't answer. Very easy to install, can be moved to a new home if required, great support if you have an issue. And for me the best feature is it uses cell phone technology. So no landline can be cut. And if signal is lost they treat it as an alarm. So far in 3 years have never had cell coverage lost.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:54 AM
Gold member

SimpliSafe is great. We have multiple sensors and a camera. Cost $25 a month for monitoring and smart phone remote access. My wife inadvertently put in the distress code one day. Two Sheriffs showed up in 4 minutes. No charge for the false alarm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2017, 07:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
SimpliSafe is great. We have multiple sensors and a camera. Cost $25 a month for monitoring and smart phone remote access. My wife inadvertently put in the distress code one day. Two Sheriffs showed up in 4 minutes. No charge for the false alarm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great to know it works that well. I keep putting their system into my Amazon wishlist but never seem to check out. I'll look at it again !
Old 04-12-2017, 09:54 PM

Another vote for Simplisafe. Very easy installs wherever you want, no contracts, and you choose whether you want to upgrade to include notifying their central station. We are very happy with it. You can place a very loud alarm either inside your home or outside. I guarantee you once the burglar hears this alarm, they will be gone.
Closed Thread

Tags
security, alarms, alarm, system, type

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.