Placement of Mini Split

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2017, 09:49 AM
Veteran member
Default Placement of Mini Split

We recently enclosed our lanai and are in the process of adding a mini split unit.

We have an Iris Model and would like to install on the far wall above the window. The contractor we would like to use states it is not the best area because it needs a water pump and because the window is directly below, this could cause an issue.

Has anyone installed on the far wall with a pump?

We did contact the Building Department and they said it was fine to install on that wall, but we did not discuss the pump issue.

The contractor we would like to use has installed two other units in our other homes with no issues. It was NOT an Iris Model.

One of the main issues stated by contractor is that pump may malfunction and the water could drain directly into our lanai.

Thank you.

Last edited by Blessed2BNTV; 04-28-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:13 AM
Veteran member

We have a pump and it is noisy. A gravity drain is much better. I will soon route a drain line from the unit to outside. I think your contractor just doesn't want to install a pump.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:44 AM

We have installed 2 mini-split units. I would only install with gravity drain, I would never use a pump back unit for condensation.
Pump back type units are nothing but trouble waiting to happen!
Old 04-28-2017, 12:37 PM

They have new type pumps that are not as loud as before and are install not in the unit itself but above.
If possible use gravity... but the new ones should be satisfactory . The closer the inside unit to the outside
compressor the better... there is a maximum distance... I am sure most units are fine.. i have used both
Mitsubushi (5 yrs warranty) and LG units (10 yr warranty) you can have a wall mounted units or ceiling
style (self contained units) both same price. Currently I have 2 ceiling mounted LG Units in my enclosed
Lanai which is about 950 sq ft. with lots of glass and sun... Heats and cools fine... very economical
the unit is 2 ½ tons.. runs ultra quite outside, sometimes do not even know if operating.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:18 PM

I would suggest you have a gravity drain installed instead of a pump. We enclosed our lanai in February 2015 with a Mitsubishi mini split. After replacing three pumps that were covered under the warranty the company finally opted to relocate the unit and install a gravity drain. The unit works efficiently and so far we haven't had any problems.

Tags
pump, contractor, wall, water, issue

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.