Recommendations for Garage SCREEN?

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2017, 06:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default Recommendations for Garage SCREEN?

I have a "1 1/2 car" garage. Are sliders best? Electric roll ups? "Lifestyle Screen" looks interesting because it does not "roll or slide" but pulls up as one piece and has a door for entry/exit.

Any dealer experiences & recommendations ?
Old 01-17-2017, 07:20 PM
Veteran member

I also have a 1 1/2 car garage and had a retractable screen door installed by Thumper's. It goes up and down just like my garage door. I am very happy I had it installed. Click here for more information.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfierle View Post
I also have a 1 1/2 car garage and had a retractable screen door installed by Thumper's. It goes up and down just like my garage door. I am very happy I had it installed. Click here for more information.

Looks interesting but also quite expensive (vs a manual sliding door). Can you give me a ballpark figure on what you paid for it?

Thanks
Old 01-17-2017, 10:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

If you spend a lot of time in the yard, going in and out of the garage. Having the horizontal sliders is perfect, you slide a section walk out and close behind you. Very easy to keep garage shut off while working, with the motorized screens you put it up and leave it up while your in the yard. Snakes, bugs, anyone can walk in while your out and about. I put the horizontal slider on mine and it nice. In our first month in our CYV one neighbor found a snake in the garage, and another street had a gator crawl around the block. Leaving a garage door up without a screen is asking for trouble. We got ours 5 years ago right after moving in for $850 from All-Around Aluminum in Oxford.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-17-2017, 10:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
If you spend a lot of time in the yard, going in and out of the garage. Having the horizontal sliders is perfect, you slide a section walk out and close behind you. Very easy to keep garage shut off while working, with the motorized screens you put it up and leave it up while your in the yard. Snakes, bugs, anyone can walk in while your out and about. I put the horizontal slider on mine and it nice. In our first month in our CYV one neighbor found a snake in the garage, and another street had a gator crawl around the block. Leaving a garage door up without a screen is asking for trouble. We got ours 5 years ago right after moving in for $850 from All-Around Aluminum in Oxford.

The Villages Florida
We have had our sliding screens for 12 years. Looks as good as new. Replaced the 2 wheels on the bottom of each panel once. No problems and has always worked well for us. I think the cost was approx. $750 then.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:09 AM

I had the lifestyle screen placed on our home up north. Love the fact you can open and close the door. The disadvantage is you cannot close your garage door with the screen down. You need to bring up the screen, then shut the door.

Not a big deal, but if you forget and just shut the garage door - it will not be pretty.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:31 AM
Gold member

We have slider screens on our garage which were installed about three years ago by Michele’s Hide-Away Screens. I couldn't be happier with the product and the installation. They have rollers on the top of the screens, which keeps dirt and debris from clogging up the rollers. As I recall, the total price was in the neighborhood of $1800 (four sliding panels covering the courtyard villa garage). Michelle's has a great website showing all of their products, and they have a booth at the Marion Market, in the main hall. I recommend them highly.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfierle View Post
I had Thumpers installed 2 years ago and I love it. I also had them put the privacy screen on so you can't see in during the day but you can see out. I also had them redo my lanai with the same type of screen. I agree with the people who like to garden that it is easier to use the slider to constantly go in and out but I bought mine for air circulation. I hate gardening lol.

Last edited by kellyjam; 01-18-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:13 AM

Hid N Screen does a great job and works great. Electric roll up screen.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:29 AM
Sage

Thanks. That is exactly what I was concerned about. Probably will stick with the simplest solution .... slider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oot View Post
I had the lifestyle screen placed on our home up north. Love the fact you can open and close the door. The disadvantage is you cannot close your garage door with the screen down. You need to bring up the screen, then shut the door.

Not a big deal, but if you forget and just shut the garage door - it will not be pretty.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
We have slider screens on our garage which were installed about three years ago by Michele’s Hide-Away Screens. I couldn't be happier with the product and the installation. They have rollers on the top of the screens, which keeps dirt and debris from clogging up the rollers. As I recall, the total price was in the neighborhood of $1800 (four sliding panels covering the courtyard villa garage). Michelle's has a great website showing all of their products, and they have a booth at the Marion Market, in the main hall. I recommend them highly.
$1800 for a manual slider sounds awfully high. Was that a typo? I have seen a few electric roll-ups for that price. Did you mean $800?
Old 01-18-2017, 11:37 AM

We have a roll up installed by Cool Breeze and are very happy with it. We have key fob remotes in all the golf carts and cars and a lock box with a remote mounted on Velcro on the outside under the one for the garage door. We never have to leave the screen up and do not even when attending to outside chores. No snakes, lizard or other pests, flying or walking can make an entrance.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
$1800 for a manual slider sounds awfully high. Was that a typo? I have seen a few electric roll-ups for that price. Did you mean $800?
I thought the same thing since I had paid only $850 for the manual myself. I even went to Michele's website that is mentioned and I can only find the electric roll-up, maybe that is what they meant. This is on their website, my neighbor had one installed like this on his CYV for $1650 about 3 years ago from someone at Market of Marion. He likes it, but whenever he's in the yard the screen is up all the time.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-18-2017, 05:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I thought the same thing since I had paid only $850 for the manual myself. I even went to Michele's website that is mentioned and I can only find the electric roll-up, maybe that is what they meant. This is on their website, my neighbor had one installed like this on his CYV for $1650 about 3 years ago from someone at Market of Marion. He likes it, but whenever he's in the yard the screen is up all the time.

The Villages Florida

As convenient the roll up is I'd much prefer being able to go in/out without having to raise the roll up as you can do with a slider or even the Lifestyle which has a door . Pretty much ruled out any type of roll up for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oot View Post

Thumper roll ups have a a kill switch. It is not possible to close one door over the other.

Tags
recommendations, roll, screen, garage, slide

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.