Are security systems necessary?

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2017, 06:15 AM
Veteran member
Default Are security systems necessary?

Are security systems necessary in The Villages?
Old 04-28-2017, 06:27 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

not necessary............but we love ours.

piece of mind
Old 04-28-2017, 08:11 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Some folks lock up their homes tighter than a fortress. Some are lucky to remember to close their doors when leaving the house. Most lock their homes and go on their way with nary a thought. We've had a few break ins but, given our size, truly not many. As we continue to grow, I'm sure we'll have more. So, I'd say a security system depends on your needed security level. If comfortable without, don't bother. If you're going to fret, get one. If you have guns or valuable collections at home, probably worth getting one.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-28-2017, 12:44 PM

Worth every cent for peace of mind alone... Like a fire extinguisher ..... not needed till needed... but glad
you have it when it is needed... may not use it than it was a waste of money some would say..

A decent system may run from $300.00 to $2800+ depends on size of home, make model , cameras
number of zones covered and if active monitored and results available on your iPad or iPhone at any time.
You can even have your smoke detection system incorporated.... look at it this way even if it costs
$1500 or more... i am sure you would not sell your life or safety for that much less maybe you have
just one ring in your home that cost 2 or 3 times that much... if you can afford this ... one of the peaces of
mind that is well worth the expense... all depends how one looks at this idea or item...
Old 04-28-2017, 12:57 PM
Email Reported As Spam

How risk adverse are you? Only you can answer that question.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:41 PM
Veteran member

Do you purchase Insurance? Will you need insurance? Buying a security systems after a break in is like closing the door after the event. I guess the best post I read so far asked "How risk adverse are you?". You won't need it till you know you need it. The area is pretty safe and the odds are small but remember this, the odds of winning the lottery are small also but some one always wins. Will you be a winner?
Old 04-28-2017, 03:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
Are security systems necessary in The Villages?
IN THE VILLAGES was a key part of the question. One may remark or guess about the necessity of security systems IN THE VILLAGES but it is best to be a resident without an agenda. It is my opinion that security systems are a gigantic waste of money. I believe self security (legal firearm trained owner) is the route to follow. I would not have moved here if a security system was needed. It's beautiful here.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
IN THE VILLAGES was a key part of the question. One may remark or guess about the necessity of security systems IN THE VILLAGES but it is best to be a resident without an agenda. It is my opinion that security systems are a gigantic waste of money. I believe self security (legal firearm trained owner) is the route to follow. I would not have moved here if a security system was needed. It's beautiful here.
Yes, instead of the sign that says "protected by ADT", get one that says "protected by Smith and Wesson"
Old 04-28-2017, 07:32 PM
Veteran member

Here's a little story that was told by a US Marshal. In my son's group of in-laws there is a current US Marshal. Here is the story. One night his home was burglarized while they were sleeping. He woke to see the Burglar going through their belongings. He laid still and did not move waiting for the Burglar to leave the room. At which time he grabbed his weapon that was in the night stand next to the bed, sprung up and immediately tripped over the cedar chest at the end of the bed. By the time he recovered the Burglar was gone. Now like he said I lived there. I knew where all the furniture is placed. Yet he ran right into the cedar chest. Here is what he said people don't understand. They have this notion that having the firearm is protection enough. However what they fail to realize, the Burglar's senses are on Super High Sensitivity. While yours are almost shutdown. Even though he was a wake for a minute or two his reflexes were not. You are coming out of a deep sleep. Your no match for the Burglar. They did catch the guy because he did not leave the area. He decided he would hit a few more homes on the block. Having a firearm is not having a security system. It could be more of a liability unless you have something to let you know some one has breached your castle. There are a bunch of victims that thought they were in a secured area. In this day and age there is no such thing as a place without the possibility for crime. Complacent victims is what they are looking to find. Take also into the equation that many of the seniors here in the area have poor hearing, or health. Its just a matter of time before the sleezy individuals go fishing for prizes. The amount of crime in the area may dictate you definitely need a security system but to think this area is totally safe enough that you should not protect yourself with good security may make you the next victim.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
not necessary............but we love ours.

piece of mind
Same here. Thieves also have moved to TV and then there's the deadbeat, loser adults that still live with their parents.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9930 View Post
Here's a little story that was told by a US Marshal. In my son's group of in-laws there is a current US Marshal. Here is the story. One night his home was burglarized while they were sleeping. He woke to see the Burglar going through their belongings. He laid still and did not move waiting for the Burglar to leave the room. At which time he grabbed his weapon that was in the night stand next to the bed, sprung up and immediately tripped over the cedar chest at the end of the bed. By the time he recovered the Burglar was gone. Now like he said I lived there. I knew where all the furniture is placed. Yet he ran right into the cedar chest. Here is what he said people don't understand. They have this notion that having the firearm is protection enough. However what they fail to realize, the Burglar's senses are on Super High Sensitivity. While yours are almost shutdown. Even though he was a wake for a minute or two his reflexes were not. You are coming out of a deep sleep. Your no match for the Burglar. They did catch the guy because he did not leave the area. He decided he would hit a few more homes on the block. Having a firearm is not having a security system. It could be more of a liability unless you have something to let you know some one has breached your castle. There are a bunch of victims that thought they were in a secured area. In this day and age there is no such thing as a place without the possibility for crime. Complacent victims is what they are looking to find. Take also into the equation that many of the seniors here in the area have poor hearing, or health. Its just a matter of time before the sleezy individuals go fishing for prizes. The amount of crime in the area may dictate you definitely need a security system but to think this area is totally safe enough that you should not protect yourself with good security may make you the next victim.
So what brand of alarm do you sell Mr Steve? We feel pretty good about our set up here without the alarm and just being aware of our surroundings at all times and Barney. I'm sorry I forgot to mention about Barney, he is our secret security method. We love all dogs. He is not a Poodle on a Pink Leash. His hearing is great. He told us today that he really likes Fenney but he likes it where we are better. I think we'll risk it and stay here.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:07 PM
Veteran member

Most people won't install a security system until they are broke in to, like me. Never again will I be without one. Get SimpliSafe for $200 or so / no contracts. You can install it yourself in 30 min.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Are security systems necessary?

It's a personal decision regardless of where you live now or where you came from. Having a glock in your bedroom dresser drawer won't make you sleep at night any better unless you want it to. We live in a relatively safe area, whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Last edited by RickeyD; 04-28-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:19 AM
Platinum member

Necessary? No
Recommended? Highly

We make it as difficult as possible for those who want to rob us!
Old 04-29-2017, 07:28 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,300 Times in 536 Posts

I suppose it's a back-up but in TV I don't think a security system is necessary. I have a friend who has one but doesn't have it on most of the time. Too much trouble he says--- so go figure. I've always believed that is why I have a homeowners policy. For protection a "38" is handy.

Tags
systems, security, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.