Are security systems necessary?

Closed Thread
Old 04-29-2017, 07:50 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

Security systems are based on wireless technology called z-wave. All of which you can buy yourself, sensors, alarms, whatever you want. You can get a text that your home is broken into and call 911 if that is your preference. It is an alternative to a service if this suits you. That said I have the knowledge and ability to alarm my home and I don't see the point. Theft of carts, now that is another thread.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
So what brand of alarm do you sell Mr Steve? We feel pretty good about our set up here without the alarm and just being aware of our surroundings at all times and Barney. I'm sorry I forgot to mention about Barney, he is our secret security method. We love all dogs. He is not a Poodle on a Pink Leash. His hearing is great. He told us today that he really likes Fenney but he likes it where we are better. I think we'll risk it and stay here.
I do not sell any system. The system I settled on is IsmartAlarm. I also have additional cameras which are motion activated. Is a system absolutely necessary, No. Its a choice and like all choices sometimes your right and sometimes your wrong. The dog is easily neutralized by someone who wants in.

PS: Also got a discount on my Home Owner Insurance.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:39 PM
Sage

A large percentage of crime is an inside job. Often people have seen what you have. Landscapers, other workers, adult children of villagers.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
Are security systems necessary in The Villages?
Do you have a big dog?
Then you don't need an alarm system.
You already have one!
Old 05-01-2017, 07:22 AM

I had an alarm system but had a brain fart...took down my American flag and put up a black ISIS flag and now Community Watch and Sheriff deputies constantly monitor my property...great security system..saves me money
Old 05-01-2017, 07:41 AM
Sage
Default Peace of mind

While we live in a safe place, compared to other places in Florida, it depends on how much risk you want to take. Many people have the "it won't happen to me" attitude and others have the " it could happen to me" attitude. I asked myself how I would feel if someone broke into our home and rubbished through drawers, closets and the house in general. I would feel very violated. Like others have said, a security system is a sort of insurance against this kind of crime happpening to you. We've all read about the rash of break ins that have occurred here where they enter through the sliders or break down the front door. None of us want that to happen, so I would personally want to be safe than sorry. If a potential thief sees a house with a security sign in front of it opposed to one that doesn't have a security sign, guess which one they're likely to break into????
Old 05-01-2017, 08:25 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Security Systems

Haven't had one in 65 years. Not planning on starting now. Feel very safe in the villages. Crime considering our size is relatively low.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:31 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9930 View Post
Here's a little story that was told by a US Marshal. In my son's group of in-laws there is a current US Marshal. Here is the story. One night his home was burglarized while they were sleeping. He woke to see the Burglar going through their belongings. He laid still and did not move waiting for the Burglar to leave the room. At which time he grabbed his weapon that was in the night stand next to the bed, sprung up and immediately tripped over the cedar chest at the end of the bed. By the time he recovered the Burglar was gone. Now like he said I lived there. I knew where all the furniture is placed. Yet he ran right into the cedar chest. Here is what he said people don't understand. They have this notion that having the firearm is protection enough. However what they fail to realize, the Burglar's senses are on Super High Sensitivity. While yours are almost shutdown. Even though he was a wake for a minute or two his reflexes were not. You are coming out of a deep sleep. Your no match for the Burglar. They did catch the guy because he did not leave the area. He decided he would hit a few more homes on the block. Having a firearm is not having a security system. It could be more of a liability unless you have something to let you know some one has breached your castle. There are a bunch of victims that thought they were in a secured area. In this day and age there is no such thing as a place without the possibility for crime. Complacent victims is what they are looking to find. Take also into the equation that many of the seniors here in the area have poor hearing, or health. Its just a matter of time before the sleezy individuals go fishing for prizes. The amount of crime in the area may dictate you definitely need a security system but to think this area is totally safe enough that you should not protect yourself with good security may make you the next victim.
To us a security system being on while we are sleeping is the most important of all. We have insurance and nothing of real value in the house except our lives! Highly recommend SimpliSafe system.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:34 AM

We love ours! Peace of mind when you travel a lot.....
Old 05-01-2017, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
Are security systems necessary in The Villages?

Not when you have 9mm in the night stand
Old 05-01-2017, 06:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Yes, instead of the sign that says "protected by ADT", get one that says "protected by Smith and Wesson"
I prefer the sign that shows a six shooter pointing straight ahead with the statement under it say......don't worry about the dog it is the owner you need to fear!
Old 05-01-2017, 09:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Are security systems necessary?

Sorry, the intruder has the advantage in most cases. He is alert and if armed, very dangerous. I'd choose a very loud alarm and use my glock as backup.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
Sorry, the intruder has the advantage in most cases. He is alert and if armed, very dangerous. I'd choose a very loud alarm and use my glock as backup.
Amen.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default OhioBuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
So what brand of alarm do you sell Mr Steve? We feel pretty good about our set up here without the alarm and just being aware of our surroundings at all times and Barney. I'm sorry I forgot to mention about Barney, he is our secret security method. We love all dogs. He is not a Poodle on a Pink Leash. His hearing is great. He told us today that he really likes Fenney but he likes it where we are better. I think we'll risk it and stay here.
Here's one for you. I had a similar thing happen. One night I heard our back door open, because it had a slight squeak. When I got out of bed with my handgun with lazar light I could see down our hallway to the kitchen where the backdoor is & I could see a shadow. Evenually I saw this person walk into the end of the hallway & that's when I pointed the gun & put the lazar beam in the chest area, well it didn't take this person long to realize what it was & out the back door they went & they didn't even shut the door, I guess they were more afraid than I was . Now to tell you the truth it was really hard for me while pointing that gun at them to pull the trigger & to possible kill a person but if they would of kept coming I would of because all I could think of is them is killing me or killing me & my wife or to find out if I did shoot them that they didn't even have any kind of a weapon. What I'm saying is, even if you do have a gun & the time actually happens in real life, it's harder to possibly take someones life than you think. Guns are just a security!
Old 05-02-2017, 09:08 AM

Had a break in years ago. Since that time we have had a loud alarm system and an even louder gun, I never have been able to figure out if I would shoot to injure or kill I almost think kill as is safer for me.
Closed Thread

Tags
systems, security, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.