Float Valve on Air Conditioning Condensation Line

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2013, 07:27 AM
Question Float Valve on Air Conditioning Condensation Line

Is anyone familiar with this? Yesterday my neighbors had Sun Kool out for annual check and installer said they needed float valve installed in case condensation line on air conditioning line clogs. Claims if the line clogs it will leak into home and possibly ruin flooring.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:33 AM
Sage

I should have had one to begin with. Maybe the valve is bad and they were told they need a new one installed.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:40 AM
Veteran member

Not sure about a float "valve", but normally there is a float switch installed which shuts the system down if condensate collects in the lower pan from a clogged drain line or when the A-coil freezes up from a system problem.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:44 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Contingent on where your Air Handling unit is it could.
In any event, I recommend having one. An A/C float switch also prevents backup from occurring into your A-coil which could also be damaged.

If a back-up occurs one can not only have moisture intrusion to your interior, but also to the fiberglas return ductwork below as well as the plywood box your A/C unit sits on causing the possibility of mold and wood rot, etc in these areas.

A float valve is a simple and inexpensive device NORMALLY installed on most new A/C units. If the condensate line backs up or plugs allowing water to fill up the pipe the float switch will turn off the Air Handler before damage can occur.

This is why when you notice your A/C unit is not working you should always check this first, as it is one of the most common reasons for your A/C not to work. It is a safety device and is a good thing.

Just make sure that when they install the switch in the drain line that the drain line is pitched properly away from the unit to insure water does not ever back up into and around the unit.

A few months ago I inspected a home in The Villages where the drain line had a negative pitch which allowed the condensate, (water) to slowly leak around the unit. A few years of this unchecked filled the return box duct work with mold and actually started to rot the plywood the heavy A/C unit was sitting on. It was an expensive fix that should have been easily avoided if the drain line was simply pitched a quarter of an inch more.

In short, yes, I would want one, (and have one) on mine.

This is also a good time to remind folks to keep your A/C drain line clear by pouring a cup or two of white vinegar down it once every few months to keep it from plugging up, and also do not allow the end of it outside to get covered or plugged. Check it every so often......

Respectfully, Frank D.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:48 AM
Sage

Mine was installed with the unit. It also provides a handy spot to slip the switch out and flush the condensate drain line.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.