Philips Buick

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Question Philips Buick

A very good friend and TV permanent resident wants to buy a new Buick LaCrosse in the next couple of months. She is concerned that she will be taken advantage of and wants me to help.

Have any of you bought new from Philips Buick in Fruitland Park and if so what was your experience like? Can you recommend them or would you suggest another dealer? How about a trusted contact that will be fair and honest?

Believe it or not this will be her first brand new car and she is very nervous about paying too much or getting talked into something she doesn't need.

Your advice will be very much appreciated.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default phillips scramble ..

I can't comment on this as I no longer do business with them ....
They used to sponsor the PHILLIPS GOLF SCRAMBLE every year which many of the golfers in TV dearly loved ....They dropped their sponsorship with no apparent explanation .......and so I go elsewhere........

fumar
Old 06-16-2010, 02:03 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Fumar View Post
I can't comment on this as I no longer do business with them ....
They used to sponsor the PHILLIPS GOLF SCRAMBLE every year which many of the golfers in TV dearly loved ....They dropped their sponsorship with no apparent explanation .......and so I go elsewhere........

fumar
I just purchased a new Buick from Phillips. The best buying experience I have ever had and I have purchased a number of new vehicles. While there I spoke with a member of the Phillips family. The reason the Golf Scramble was stopped, TV kept raising the price of everything. I had heard that from others within TV, but this was confirmed by a Phillips.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
I just purchased a new Buick from Phillips. The best buying experience I have ever had and I have purchased a number of new vehicles. While there I spoke with a member of the Phillips family. The reason the Golf Scramble was stopped, TV kept raising the price of everything. I had heard that from others within TV, but this was confirmed by a Phillips.
I never said that it wasn't a good place to do business ......All I stated was that many of us were upset that they dropped the scramble ...
The story that was given to us was that Phillips senior retired and the two boys took it over , The boys don't play golf so they pulled the plug....Just because they have the right to do it , doesn't mean we have to like it....I should add that I used to play on amateur day at the Buick Open in Grand Blanc Michigan ...........I now drive a Lincoln.....

miffed fumar
Old 06-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Gold member

The LaCrosse has been a big success for GM/Buick and demand is pretty high so there probably aren't any great deals out there right now.

Hopefully, she'll be treated fairly and get it for a decent price.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:44 PM
Platinum member

It is a given that she will be "taken".

In her car purchase she must pay for all of the overhead at that huge dealership, and with all the figures that will be thrown around, and all the schmoozing, it's rather easy for the salesman to make extra money at her expense.

If you really want to help her, pick up an issue of Consumer Reports and send for their new car price quote. It will cost a few dollars and take a little time, but patience and persistence will result in saving thousands of dollars. She has two big advantages - she doesn't need a car immediately and she knows the make and model she wants. Once educated to the real cost of cars and options, she should be able to negotiate a fair deal, even with a big dealer.
Do not be swayed by the idea that you must buy from the local dealer in order to get good service later. All dealers are required to service their brands, and unless you negotiate something special at the time of purchase, there is no discount for vehicles purchased elsewhere.

Good Luck. As my Dad used to say: "I'm going to buy a new car. It's a sort of biblical experience - you know - the lamb to the slaughter..."

If you want to assist
Old 06-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Default Buying a car

My suggestion is do your home work on the Internet and have a price in mind before you go to a dealership, contact a few dealers on the Internet and this way you will have a pretty good idea what the car is gong to cost you. I just bought a new car and didn't see a person until I was ready to buy the car.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Veteran member
Default I was in car sales for 8 years and the one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijusluvit View Post
It is a given that she will be "taken".

In her car purchase she must pay for all of the overhead at that huge dealership, and with all the figures that will be thrown around, and all the schmoozing, it's rather easy for the salesman to make extra money at her expense.

If you really want to help her, pick up an issue of Consumer Reports and send for their new car price quote. It will cost a few dollars and take a little time, but patience and persistence will result in saving thousands of dollars. She has two big advantages - she doesn't need a car immediately and she knows the make and model she wants. Once educated to the real cost of cars and options, she should be able to negotiate a fair deal, even with a big dealer.
Do not be swayed by the idea that you must buy from the local dealer in order to get good service later. All dealers are required to service their brands, and unless you negotiate something special at the time of purchase, there is no discount for vehicles purchased elsewhere.

Good Luck. As my Dad used to say: "I'm going to buy a new car. It's a sort of biblical experience - you know - the lamb to the slaughter..."

If you want to assist
and the one thing i learned is don't buy a new car. It loose's 20% in value when you drive it off the curb. Best bet a 2 or 3 year old lease return with no more than 10,000 miles a year on it. What ever price they ask offer $1,500 less and get an extended warranty
Wanabee future TVer
Old 06-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskman View Post
and the one thing i learned is don't buy a new car. It loose's 20% in value when you drive it off the curb. Best bet a 2 or 3 year old lease return with no more than 10,000 miles a year on it. What ever price they ask offer $1,500 less and get an extended warranty
ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!! I have not purchased a new car since 1975 and have probably saved 100k because of that decision. I have cultivated a firm friendship with a small dealer/repairman who buys me just the car I want at auction, every few years. I drive 'fully loaded' cars which list for 30-40k. They are a year or two old with 10-20 thousand miles on them, and cost me abut 20k. My dealer gets such a kick out of finding an auction car which looks like no one ever sat in those lovely leather seats.

However. Many people just want a new car. Some want it so bad that they are willing to go get fleeced by their 'good friend' over at the impressive mega-dealership. It's an experience. Feels good. Expensive, but hey, you only live once.

Last edited by ijusluvit; 06-16-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Veteran member

I, too, have never purchased and brand new car. If I were to do so, I would definitely do my research. A web site I recently started using with my students is www.truecar.com. It is a great site that may help your friend from feeling as though she will be "taken".

I hope your friend gets the car she wants and a price that she finds acceptable.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Veteran member
Default Buick LaCross

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfn8tly View Post
A very good friend and TV permanent resident wants to buy a new Buick LaCrosse in the next couple of months. She is concerned that she will be taken advantage of and wants me to help.

Have any of you bought new from Philips Buick in Fruitland Park and if so what was your experience like? Can you recommend them or would you suggest another dealer? How about a trusted contact that will be fair and honest?

Believe it or not this will be her first brand new car and she is very nervous about paying too much or getting talked into something she doesn't need.

Your advice will be very much appreciated.
Check this website for priding out a new or used car. The LaCrosse least expensive price is $26,250 only $735 below MSRP. It's for American Express cc holders. It's very good.
http://amexnetwork.zag.com/main.html?referrer_id=ZAMX000204&om_rid=$TRAqW&om_ mid=_BKa9dHB7uaKj3m&

I challenge anybody to get a better price buying a new car!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijusluvit View Post
ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!! I have not purchased a new car since 1975 and have probably saved 100k because of that decision. I have cultivated a firm friendship with a small dealer/repairman who buys me just the car I want at auction, every few years. I drive 'fully loaded' cars which list for 30-40k. They are a year or two old with 10-20 thousand miles on them, and cost me abut 20k. My dealer gets such a kick out of finding an auction car which looks like no one ever sat in those lovely leather seats.

However. Many people just want a new car. Some want it so bad that they are willing to go get fleeced by their 'good friend' over at the impressive mega-dealership. It's an experience. Feels good. Expensive, but hey, you only live once.

I agree with the recommendation to use Consumer Reports (CR). Using the CR New Car buying tool, you can find out exactly what the dealer paid for car and what the dealer paid for each option. If the dealer got any special deals or incentives on the car or any of the options it will let you know. Here are additional suggestions.
  • Go to the dealership near the end of the month. The dealerships get incentives from the manufacturer for hitting certain sales targets. If a dealer is near one of the target at the end of the month, they are more highly motivated to make the sale. The more motivated the seller, the better for you.
  • Walk into the dealership knowing firmly the top price you are willing to pay for the car. If you can't get within that price, by all means walk out the door. Just go to another dealer for the exact same car.
  • Tell your salesperson the exact car you are considering and with what options. That'll make him or her think that you are ready to buy. That's ok, that means they don't want to lose you to the competition. Ask for a test drive. The more time you spend with a salesperson, the more vested he or she is in making the sale.
  • The first thing the dealer will ask is whether you have a trade in. The correct answer is "no," whether you do or not. Never, ever, ever disclose a trade in until they have agreed upon a price to your satisfaction without one. Then you can "change your mind" and ask what they'll give you for your trade in.
  • Don't let the dealer talk you into any additional options. They try to sell you frivolous and costly add-ons. You already know what you want.
  • The sticker price should have no bearing at all on what you are willing to pay. None. It's what the dealer paid that counts. In the past when I've purchased a new car, I've offered $500-$600 over what the dealer paid and have never agreed to pay more than $750 more. Period. I have walked out and gone to Dealer B.
  • If the salesperson says the offer is to low, pull out your CR sheet and explain the basis of your offer. If he won't accept your offer, ask for a counter. If it's not below your already-decided top price, walk out the door. There are plenty more dealers.
  • The salesperson's next step ALWAYS is to say he has to ask the manager about the price you discussed. Now, the dealership's shtick here is to make you wait a long, long time. Odds for them are, the longer they keep you waiting, the more anxious you will become, the more you will think about wanting the car, and the more you will be convinced that you're getting a good deal-- otherwise why would it take so long.
  • Not only should you not fall for the "waiting game" anxiety, you should use the waiting game to YOUR advantage. The way I see it, the longer your salesperson is playing this game with the manager, the longer he or she is not with another customer, and the fewer hours he or she has left in the day to make more commissions. The reality is, that salesperson REALLY does not want you to leave after he or she was not on the sales floor for a couple hours. So take a good book with you. Expect the wait. Use it to your advantage to stand firm. (I don't fell bad about this because it is they who kept me waiting. I didn't ask them to play their obnoxious games.)
Oh, one more thing. Car salespeople often assume they can take advantage of a woman. That's actually ok too. There are few financial rewards as good as being underestimated by a car salesperson.

Well, that's how I have paid thousands under the stick price anyway. Why not? Just remember, there is nothing more meaningless than the sticker price of a car!

Good luck!

Negotiator PTurner

Last edited by Pturner; 06-16-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljetmet View Post
Check this website for priding out a new or used car. The LaCrosse least expensive price is $26,250 only $735 below MSRP. It's for American Express cc holders. It's very good.
http://amexnetwork.zag.com/main.html?referrer_id=ZAMX000204&om_rid=$TRAqW&om_ mid=_BKa9dHB7uaKj3m&

I challenge anybody to get a better price buying a new car!

Bought a new car three years ago and got it about $5K below MSRP (and $1,500 below "dealer invoice").

What I did was selected model, color and extras and sent emails out to 5 nearby dealers for bids (didn't show other addressee in the emails); then took the lowest bid to the closest dealer and he matched it (assuming he would make it up in service billing).

chuck

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)

Last edited by chuckinca; 06-16-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:33 PM

www.edmunds.com
Old 06-17-2010, 10:12 AM

Thank you everyone! This is precisely the kind of information I was hoping to receive and I will pass all of it on to my friend. I know I can always get great advice and recommendations here on TOTV.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.