tree root removal - who should we use?

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2017, 10:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default tree root removal - who should we use?

We have a large tree 10' from the corner of our lanai. Our lanai floor consists of brick pavers laid on a concrete base. A diagonal line of pavers in the direction of the tree has started to lift, and the concrete underneath them is cracked and lifted, so we suspect that a tree root is underneath and slowly increasing in girth.

Who should we have come round to:

1) get rid of the tree root;

2) pour a new concrete base and re-lay the pavers?

Thank you
Old 02-23-2017, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

get rid of the tree.................
Old 02-23-2017, 12:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
get rid of the tree.................
but who should we use?
Old 02-23-2017, 01:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

I had Maintenance by Evergreen cut down a Washingtonian palm. Good job. I did not pay the crew....they sent an invoice.
352-821-9967
www.maintenancebyevergreen.com
Old 02-23-2017, 01:28 PM
Sage

We used Hall's Tree Service to take out 5 queen palms and grind out the root balls. Showed up on time and took great care to not damage the yard or the curbing.

As to the pavers, it might be best to contact the contractor who installed them.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
We have a large tree 10' from the corner of our lanai. Our lanai floor consists of brick pavers laid on a concrete base. A diagonal line of pavers in the direction of the tree has started to lift, and the concrete underneath them is cracked and lifted, so we suspect that a tree root is underneath and slowly increasing in girth. Who should we have come round to get rid of the tree root
Thank you for your suggestions. We have asked Stanage for a quote, as they have received a number of recommendations on TOTV.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:36 PM
Platinum member

Stanage is giving me an estimate Monday. I have two large oaks that have done damage to my lanai. They are looking at cutting the roots and putting in a barrier.

Then, T&D is coming to remove the concrete deck and screen cage to open up the problem. Then, Stanage will return and remove the roots from under where the concrete was, if the roots are what is causing the problem.

All of this is going to be quite expensive, and I have found no claim for financial help. It seems it was my fault for not cutting the roots when I first noticed the concrete popping up and cracking.

That is the way it looks right now. Maybe Stanage will have a different opinion.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
Stanage is giving me an estimate Monday. I have two large oaks that have done damage to my lanai. They are looking at cutting the roots and putting in a barrier.

Then, T&D is coming to remove the concrete deck and screen cage to open up the problem. Then, Stanage will return and remove the roots from under where the concrete was, if the roots are what is causing the problem.

All of this is going to be quite expensive, and I have found no claim for financial help. It seems it was my fault for not cutting the roots when I first noticed the concrete popping up and cracking.

That is the way it looks right now. Maybe Stanage will have a different opinion.
I should appreciate your posting updates in this thread, starflyte1.

I plan, initially, just to have the root cut then wait to see what happens to the part that is under the lanai. As it dries out it may shrink enough to realign the concrete and relay the bricks. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking!

I have not checked my home insurance policy yet, but I do not expect this to be covered.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:04 AM

I would also appreciate a update on this and the costs associated

I have a 30ft oak that may need taking out, I called out an Arborist last week for a quote and was told it would take a day or 2 to remove and he would do the job for $3500

I hope he was just trying it on because of my English accent rather than this being the real cost of removing such a tree.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:09 PM
Sage

Tree removal can be very expensive. Last year, we had Ace Tree Service, Stanage's father, remove an old, weak water oak from a property outside TV that was threatening the house. He only had to move his equipment less than a mile from base to our lot that was large and open. The crew of three were real experts and we thought the price of $2,000 was fair. The job required several pieces of heavy equipment, including two large trucks, a bucket lift, mulch grinder, and stump grinder. The close quarters of houses in TV would make any job much more challenging and expensive.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9607 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	119
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	66259   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9617 (768x1024).jpg
Views:	106
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	66260  

Last edited by Carla B; 02-24-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Last year, we had Ace Tree Service, Stanage's father, remove a very large, diseased oak from a property we owned outside TV. He only had to move his equipment less than a mile from its base and he had a very large, open lot to work with. He did an excellent job and we thought the price of $2,000 was fair. The job required three men and several pieces of heavy equipment.
Yes, I suspect removing a tree from a restricted TV lot would involve a lot more work. Either some very fancy equipment or considerably more chain-sawing to end up with manageable-sized pieces.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:50 PM
Platinum member

Brian Stanage has given me an estimate which I have accepted, to cut the roots and install an 18 in deep barrier along the 70 feet across my lanai. I have two large oakes.

Arctic Fox, if your deck is not too damaged, they might be able to grind down the high spots, after the roots have been killed.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
Brian Stanage has given me an estimate which I have accepted, to cut the roots and install an 18 in deep barrier along the 70 feet across my lanai. I have two large oakes.

Arctic Fox, if your deck is not too damaged, they might be able to grind down the high spots, after the roots have been killed.
Thank you

I have been trying to contact Stanage (e-mail and phone) with no success. Will keep trying :-)
Old 02-27-2017, 06:10 PM

Remember to get approval from the Archutectual Review Committee for any tree over 4" in diameter. Not required for palms.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:37 AM
Platinum member

Brian Stanage returns my calls almost immediately after I leave a message. I use 352-636-3527.

Tags
tree, pavers, root, concrete, underneath

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.