Ceiling fans

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2015, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts
Default Ceiling fans

Was going to put light kit on my ceiling fans In the bed rooms. The original fans didn't have light kits installed. Took cap off found the wires and no power to the wires on either one of them. I first thought the light kit was defective, but I wired it up and plugged it into outlet and they light up. I checked the fan wire with meter and no power in the wires. Guess if I want more lighting new better quality fans are in order.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:30 PM
Gold member

I don't notice any question you might have had, but if you don't connect the lighting positive wire at the ceiling junction then you won't have power where the light connects.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:43 PM

Lenhart Electric 352-748-5818 (Kevin) did a great job at a reasonable price on our ceiling fans.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:40 PM
Sage

You will probably find that the blue wire from the fan junction is not connected to the black (along with the fan black) to the black in the ceiling box.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:55 PM
Sage

Thanks for the reply's. The fan was wired by the contractor that built the house. The three wires (pos, neutral, and ground) was connected coming into the fan. When I removed the bottom cover from the light wires was tagged and Said light kit.
I flipped the fwd and rev switch and pulled the chain going through the fan speeds, nothing from the light kit wire. So I thought just that fan? Found the same thing in the other bed room on the exact same model fan. The fan in the living area looks the same but different model and it has light kit on it. Figured I would up grade the cheap one with fancier model in the front room, move that one into guess bed room, and replace the one in the master bed room. Done several of these before and figured these was not worth the hassle to figure out or re wire. Was just curious if anybody had this problem?
Old 01-26-2015, 08:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I put my fans in with a light kit. I have two wall switches. One for the fan and one for the light. Best I can recall the light switch was a red wire. I think the red is the same as the black on the other switch. Do you have two wall switches?
Old 01-26-2015, 11:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
You will probably find that the blue wire from the fan junction is not connected to the black (along with the fan black) to the black in the ceiling box.
What he said!
Old 01-27-2015, 01:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I put my fans in with a light kit. I have two wall switches. One for the fan and one for the light. Best I can recall the light switch was a red wire. I think the red is the same as the black on the other switch. Do you have two wall switches?
Come to think of it I have three switches on the wall and can't figure out one on wall what it controls. I tried all the plugs for lamps. I get my meter out and flip it see it works.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Brings these are dropped fans I didn't go up to the ceiling connection. When I decide to mess with again I'll check that out.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:03 PM
Sage

Thanks all for the ideas and responses. They really helped in flipping the switch in my head.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Come to think of it I have three switches on the wall and can't figure out one on wall what it controls. I tried all the plugs for lamps. I get my meter out and flip it see it works.
I used Hunter fans and one of the instruction books (not all) explained the wiring with a separate wall switch for the light. I also searched the internet for basic wiring and it explained the colors of the wire. Fortunately my wiring followed the explanations.
Your fan probably has no way to turn on the light (like a pull chain). That is because the fan and the light is designed for separate wall switches.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,005 Times in 2,199 Posts

We have a 2013 vintage house, I have installed the light kit on all four fans. In every case, I found the contractor had installed the RED wire from the wall switch to the fan. At the fan half of them had the BLUE light wire connected to the RED wire (at the ceiling) the other 2 had the BLUE wire connected to the BLACK (hot) wire (at the ceiling), on these I had to TURN OF THE POWER, and move the BLUE wire to the RED wire.
For ALL of the fans, I removed the single position switch, and installed a duplex switch, one for the light and on for the fan. The existing BLACK wire went to one of the switches, the RED wire went to the other switch, and the BLACK (HOT) supply wire went to both switches.
Found the same conditions at a neighbors house when he went to make the same changes.
If you are at all concerned about the above wiring, contact a licensed electrician to complete the work.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:50 PM
Sage

Ok, here is the skinny! Connected my meter to the blue wire and the white wire marked light kit. Turn the switch on and no power to the light kit wires. So I guess if I ever want lights on the fans I have to take them down and rewire them or replace them.

That right now sounds like too much work (After all I am retired). Especially when I was use to Fan being wired correctly which makes the light kit piece of cake to install. O the light kits had there own switch (pull chain type, I thought the switch was bad till I wired it up and plugged the kit in and it worked).

Thanks for the insite on Florida contractor wiring. Guess I lead pamper wiring life back in OKieland!

Anyway thanks ALL for the responses so now I know what the problem was!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.