» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Do I need termite protection?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:57 PM

Default Do I need termite protection?

I am new in The Villages and have heard a lot about termite protection programs. Some say you must use the commercial programs, others say there are no termites and you don't need to do anything. Also had someone tell me I can just buy some material at the hardware and put down a barrier around my house every 6 months myself. What do you experienced Villagers think?

Old 02-21-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patf View Post
I am new in The Villages and have heard a lot about termite protection programs. Some say you must use the commercial programs, others say there are no termites and you don't need to do anything. Also had someone tell me I can just buy some material at the hardware and put down a barrier around my house every 6 months myself. What do you experienced Villagers think?
Here's my take after 18+ years living in Florida: Sand + Moisture + Warm = Termite Smorgasbord. Any property I have owned has always been treated and Bonded by reputable company. I have seen termite damage up close and personal in one rental home I bought and for my money the cost of a commercial contract is small potatoes compared top the risk.
Not a termite expert, but that's my take FWIW:
Old 02-21-2013, 01:47 PM

I waffled about getting the termite protection package from Massey, but in the end got it. It's one of those "one more expense" to tack on to your new home. But, in the end, it does take away the wondering if you should have signed up for it. It's like life insurance, you know........
Old 02-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Sage

do not waffle on this one.....get the termite protection...it does not cost that much to maintain and will be a pitance compared to what you will pay if/when you find them in your house.

By the time you see them it will be way too late and a very big repair bill.

We had a new home in SC and in year 3 it was discovered we had them in the joists of the flooring. Found by the people we paid for an annual protection plan with an annual inspection.
And they were found by the inspector on an annual inspection.

Had to have 6 floor joists repaired....no cost to me except the annual fee.

Get the coverage.

btk
Old 02-21-2013, 05:45 PM
Sage

If you own your home outright, NO NO NO you do not have to have the protection, but since Central Florida has weather and atmosphere that is the very definition of termite heaven, I would suggest you have it for an inexpensive safety blanket that could turn out to cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars if you don't do it right.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:45 PM
Sage

On a new build U don't need it for the first 5 years.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

But you still need to pay for the annual inspection
Old 02-22-2013, 08:56 AM
Sage

You have no need for inspections or need to pay, I called them.

That's what I was told.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:59 AM
Sage

after the prebuild application the original applicator will give the resident the option to retain coverage of protection continuity.....this is accomplished by paying the annual fee to "renew" prevention continuity.

If you opt to not do so you are on your own in the event termites are discovered.....5 years later. You will have to have an inspection by any new provider....and if termites are discovered you will still be on your own to make that repair to be able to pass inspection of any new provider.

The choice is yours be safe or gamble.....it is not unheard of to have termites in less than 5 years even in a treated property.

Good luck.

PS when we had termites discovered in our 2 year old home in SC we were lucky because the homes there were built up off the ground with a crawl space, so repairs were easy to do. Here it is knock out a wall or get the jack hammers to work!!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Gold member

One thing to consider is that there is very little structural wood in TV homes until you get to the rafters. Most of the wood I see in the walls in new construction is in the door frames. Ground termites will tunnel up to the rafters if you do not treat the soil but you will probably no need to do any wall repairs, just the rafters. In any case, better to be safe than sorry.
Closed Thread