Do I need termite protection?

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I understand termintes can be a major problem in FLORIDA. However MY QUESTION IS has ANYONE or anyone you know that lives in TV had a subterrainian termite problem??????????
Old 02-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
Jimbo, I was paraphrasing in my last response because even though I had recently read the document, I didn’t have it in front of me at the time I was typing the response. I pulled out the document this morning, so let me clear a couple of things up...

First, I incorrectly called it a “contract”. It is actually a “guarantee” that came in my closing documents. Secondly, the explanation of the renewal fee and the “no additional cost” verbiage is much more clear than the way I wrote it in my original post. So...with regard to the specific issues we are discussing, here is the exact verbiage:

2. RENEWABLE PROTECTION
a. Massey guarantees the Initial Treatment for a period of one year from the Closing date referenced above. Massey agrees to offer the Customer an option to renew this Guarantee each year for an additional four (4) years. The annual renewal fee will be $120.00 for the second year through fifth year.

3. REINSPECTIONS
a. During the effective period of the Guarantee, Massey will reinspect the Treated Structures annually upon Customer’s request or at such intervals as Massey may deem necessary.

4. RETREATMENT AND REPAIR OF FUTURE DAMAGE
a. RETREATMENT. Massey guarantees to perform any retreatment deemed necessary at no additional cost to the Customer as long as the Guarantee is in force.
b. REPAIR OF FUTURE DAMAGE.
... (Too long to type out)

So you can see that their verbiage is much more clear than the way I phrased it. I will say though, like many people, I only remember "hearing" that there was a 5 year guarantee and was taken by surprise when the first bill came.
120. Our one year anniversary was Nov. 21, 2012.

It's not exactly cheap to live in FL from an insurance standpoint. I too would like to know if anyone has had termite damage, esp. in a cinder block home.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
120. Our one year anniversary was Nov. 21, 2012.

It's not exactly cheap to live in FL from an insurance standpoint. I too would like to know if anyone has had termite damage, esp. in a cinder block home.
That got cut off. Our one-year anniversary bill from Massey was $150 as opposed to your $120. One year was up 11/21/12.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
That got cut off. Our one-year anniversary bill from Massey was $150 as opposed to your $120. One year was up 11/21/12.
It may be a difference in square footage or it could be that part of the "5 year guarantee" is a renewal rate lock-in. My anniversary date was several months earlier than yours. In any case, I dread the "anniversary month"...lots of things come due all at the same time.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:20 PM
Sage

I have a while to go till my year is up.

I think you can shop that contract like anything else.

The Villages Florida

But I haven't heard any houses falling down.

The inspection you can do yourself it doesn't take a degree in "entomology".

Google it all kinds of info.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.