Epoxy Covered Floors

Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2014, 01:15 PM
Default Epoxy Covered Floors

We are considering having our garage floor sealed / finished with "epoxy" paint...... once installed ......is it slippery ??? Are there better options for garage floors you are aware of?

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-22-2014, 01:25 PM
Sage

It's slippery when wet. Fine when dry.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

No experience, but research adding sand to surface for grip.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:35 PM
Gold member

I think Sherman williams sells a product called Shark Skin. They would have the info you need.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

I did my own floor with a sealer similar to the epoxy paint and was told by Sherwin Williams that it would be slippery, so I added the shark skin, works great.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:59 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Actually, it is called Shark Grip. It is made by H&C. You mix about 3/4 to 1 cup per gallon to the Clear coat you roll on over the epoxy. It is better than sand and makes the floor much safer especially when wet from rain or A/C dripping from the cars.
I have used it myself and would not do a floor without it.

Frank
Old 11-22-2014, 04:16 PM
Veteran member
Default Epoxy floors

I love the look of a finished garage floor and have never had a problem with mine being slippery. But here's one thing to watch for, and Sherwin-Williams's people didn't tell me. Your car's tires get hot and can burn brown spots on the Expoy paint. Even my golf cart's tires have left permanent marks. So, be sure to to get old carpet or some kind of coverage to park on.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

Thank you for correcting the name, I did forget. The product that I used is CLEAR and gives the concrete a wet look, which I like, but I know will not suit everyone. With this product (also from H&C as I recall) I have seen only minor tire marks.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:21 PM

What does H&C stand for?
Old 11-23-2014, 07:07 AM
Location: Formerly Village of Gilchrist, now Pensacola Villas

You betcha! Particular with wet, bare feet! Next time I will wear my shoes! OUCH!!!
Old 11-23-2014, 07:59 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.
Arrow

Had our floor stained by a local resident and would do it all over again... If in the future you want to change the color, it can be stained right over the old stain... Never needs to be sealed like paint. PM me if you want to gentleman's name & number.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:27 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

I do not know what H & C stands for...their website does not say. It really does not matter, as they are known simply as H&C. They are a well known company specializing in all types of concrete products and are sold at Home Depot, Lowes and Sherwin Williams as well as other places.

As villagetinker wisely said, you mix the shark grip in with the clear coat/sealer.
I have used this on the clear coat over the epoxy finish in my garage and also over the stain finish on both my patio and driveway. I have stained both my driveway and my patio and my lanai/screenroom, then applied a clear finish with the shark grip.

I personally like staining the concrete, as it hides discoloration and staining, then the sealer protects the concrete from further staining from fertilizer, sprinkler water, downspout drainage, acid stains from electric golfcarts, etc.

Hope this helps...

Frank
Old 11-23-2014, 11:11 AM
Gold member

I want to put some kind of floor covering on our garage floor in TV but, I have a question-

My parents used to own a home here in Michigan that had great garage flooring. The floor could be easily cleaned just by hosing it down with a garden hose. They asked the previous owner who installed the flooring. It turns out their "ex" son-in-law worked for a Nascar team and this flooring was something the team used. They didn't know who installed the flooring and apparently didn't have a great relationship with the "ex".

My aunt had a bad experience with her garage flooring. I think they used epoxy with some type of granules. The flooring was done about 5 years ago and peeled so badly it had to be removed. She has now had the floor redone.

The "Nascar" flooring was smooth, easy to keep clean and not slippery. My parent's flooring was a darker green. I don't know if it came in other colors or not. Mom would love to have the "Nascar" flooring in our TV home.

Has anyone heard of this "Nascar" flooring? Garage flooring is one of the top items on my "To Do List".
Old 11-23-2014, 02:32 PM
Veteran member

This is worth looking into. It comes in different colors and has groves to catch liquids. I needed two. It's not slippery and will never lift even if you park a car on it for a year.

G-Floor - Garage Floor Protector - 9' x 20' - Sam's Club
Old 11-23-2014, 03:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
This is worth looking into. It comes in different colors and has groves to catch liquids. I needed two. It's not slippery and will never lift even if you park a car on it for a year.

G-Floor - Garage Floor Protector - 9' x 20' - Sam's Club
I have never heard of those, but they get rave reviews! Certainly worth consideration. Thanks for sharing!

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.