Wall mount TV

Closed Thread
Old 10-01-2012, 07:17 AM
Default Wall mount TV

I am planning to wall mount a TV, but there is no outlet on this interior wall.
Any advice on whether to install one of those multi-function flush mount wall outlets? The ones that recess into the wall, then you can run coax, A/C, phone, etc to this box, and have the whole thing at about chest level, flush with the wall. I assume the TV covers it when it gets mounted on the wall.

3-Gang Recessed Wall Box-TV3LVKITWCC2 at The Home Depot

Also, I will have to go into the attic and run some wiring/coax down into the wall. One of the cons for this would be that I am committed to that location once I install the wall outlet box. One alternative is to use one of those TV stands with the "wall mount" type bars up the back and a few shelves below to hold the cable/Dish/DVD boxes.

Black Finished Kaden Flat Panel 3-in-1 Television Mount System-ZL0018-44MxxiiiU at The Home Depot

It seems that it is either that or run the wires up the wall surface in one of those cable hiding channels/conduits.
If I mount the TV on the wall, I still have to figure out how to have the cable/Dish/DVD boxes nearby. Any suggestions?
Old 10-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Sage

Without question, the 3 gang box.

First cut the drywall where the box will go.

You have the right idea #14 romex find the top plate in the attic drill or punch a hole depending on materiel, if metal stud on top install a plastic chafe guard in the hole.

then run all other wires including speakers etc.

Run the romex to a 15amp breaker.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Veteran member

I believe that #12 romex should be used for recepticles and then use a 20A breaker...14 gauge wire and 15A breakers are usually used in lighting circuits.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Veteran member
Default TV wiring

What do you do for surge protection? At the breaker box? Is that good enough for a TV?
Old 10-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnpat View Post
I believe that #12 romex should be used for recepticles and then use a 20A breaker...14 gauge wire and 15A breakers are usually used in lighting circuits.
I think it's overkill for the amp draw of a TV, most outlets in a home are 15A
Old 10-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
I think it's overkill for the amp draw of a TV, most outlets in a home are 15A
Sorry, I can't agree...check the breaker box where you're staying here in TV. There will most likely be fewer than four 15A breakers and they're for lighting circuits.
Also the cost of a 12 gauge + 20A circuit is just a few $ more to do it right.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Sage

Agree it's not really an issue cost, it is only a bit more.

But a 15A can have up to 1440 watts. The math: (120V * 15A) * 80% = 1440 watts. 80% is a safety margin, so the circuit is not at 100% load.

Since this would be a dedicated circuit and the biggest plasma only draws 700 watts it is more than adequate but the 20A can't hurt.

The 12 wire will be a bit more of a pain to snake thru the wall and into the circuit box.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royr View Post
I am planning to wall mount a TV, but there is no outlet on this interior wall.
Any advice on whether to install one of those multi-function flush mount wall outlets? The ones that recess into the wall, then you can run coax, A/C, phone, etc to this box, and have the whole thing at about chest level, flush with the wall. I assume the TV covers it when it gets mounted on the wall.

3-Gang Recessed Wall Box-TV3LVKITWCC2 at The Home Depot

Also, I will have to go into the attic and run some wiring/coax down into the wall. One of the cons for this would be that I am committed to that location once I install the wall outlet box. One alternative is to use one of those TV stands with the "wall mount" type bars up the back and a few shelves below to hold the cable/Dish/DVD boxes.

Black Finished Kaden Flat Panel 3-in-1 Television Mount System-ZL0018-44MxxiiiU at The Home Depot

It seems that it is either that or run the wires up the wall surface in one of those cable hiding channels/conduits.
If I mount the TV on the wall, I still have to figure out how to have the cable/Dish/DVD boxes nearby. Any suggestions?
As long as you're going to do a new drop, you might want to think of installing an additional outlet below your media box as you stated there wasn't an outlet on the wall. As long as you're making a mess, might as well have fun with it!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Default gauge

Your gauge of wire is determined by you city or county CODE. Cost isn't that big of difference. Check with them.It isn't that big of deal. I wired my whole house , but I put surge protection on my house. Lightning is strange and it can ever mess up my house. Good luck and do it Right!!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:18 AM
Default Wall Mount

The very best installer is Jay from Audio Video Authority, (352) 669-6261. If the TV is heavy and you are installing on an interior wall, he'll reinforce the 24" steel studs, then install correct electric boxes on the wall and in the closet (using a licensed electrician) and a cable outlet on the wall. Finally, he'll place all cable boxes, DVR, etc. in a closet and run an infrared receiver there to seamlessly activate them. He'll do the climbing in the attic, too! When he's done the install looks great! No wires.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:56 AM

How much did Jay charge for doing it?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.