Plumbing Fixture Quality

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2014, 10:08 AM
Default Plumbing Fixture Quality

A quick question - I was told yesterday by a plumber for one of the big plumbing companies that a faucet you buy from a big box store (Lowe's or HD for example) is of inferior quality to the exact same faucet bought thru a plumbing showroom. Is that true? Thanks,
Old 09-11-2014, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

some opinions
Faucets from Big Box stores truly Lower quality? - Plumbing Forum - GardenWeb
Old 09-11-2014, 02:44 PM
Gold member

If you go into a plumbing supply and get the model number of the item you want than go to lowes or Home Depot and go to the plumbing dept. with the manufacture and model number , it will be the same. Plumbing supply houses that sell to homeowners , sell it at list price. A plumber who buys the same thing will pay a lot less for it , way less, and will turn around to you and sell it for list price ,plus instillation.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Here is what it sounds like to me. A plumber can obtain your faucet for you from a plumbing supply and get a discounted rate which he does not pass along to you. He would prefer to do this as he makes more money than just his hourly rate.

There is nothing wrong with anyone making money. You will pay about the same for the faucet, one way or another.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:18 PM
Veteran member

If it is the same manf, make & model ... it will be the same.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph View Post
A quick question - I was told yesterday by a plumber for one of the big plumbing companies that a faucet you buy from a big box store (Lowe's or HD for example) is of inferior quality to the exact same faucet bought thru a plumbing showroom. Is that true? Thanks,
There are certain models on some products (tires) that are specifically for sales at certain stores but if the model number/part number are the same then the quality will be the same. Plumbers buy at a contractor's price and then charge you the retail price and pocket the difference in addition to the labor etc. Not necessarily a bad thing but they should not hide it either.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:45 AM

Thanks for your responses. It did not sound right to me - same brand, same model number, and one would have lesser quality inner fittings. He was trying to justify why I would spend $60 more to get it from them than Lowe's/HD for example. I then asked a friend and he said he had heard same thing about plumbing showrooms getting a better made version of the same item. So, I was curious as to what the accurate answer was. Would prefer they sold me on service and quality of installation versus some phony rationale to justify the price difference.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.