Utility room fluorescent light issue

Closed Thread
Old 07-25-2015, 10:57 AM
Default Utility room fluorescent light issue

The 2 tube fluorescent light in the utility room was not working. One light completely out the other just flickering real dim. I bought 2 new bulbs and installed, same issue. Guy at ACE said to replace ballast. Bought new ballast, wired it up, same issue. There is no starter in these lights. What else could it be? Wife needs light in there. Any and all suggestions would be helpful.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:39 AM
Platinum member

Buying a completely new fixture would have probably been cheaper than buying a ballast.
But, I guess if you enjoy a challenge....
Suffering from TV envy
Old 07-25-2015, 11:53 AM
Platinum member

Correct type of flor. Bulbs? Could you have been sold bad ballast or bulb. Years ago I did maintenance on a office building and the light fixtures were horrible to maintain.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

There is the possibility that you have a bad connection on one of the pins in the bulb that is dim. This could be a loose wire, or the actual spring connection was damaged while installing or removing a bulb.
If you do not find a bad connection, I agree with above, buy a new fixture, as you have checked or replaced all of the components.
Good luck, hope this helps.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCLaD View Post
The 2 tube fluorescent light in the utility room was not working. One light completely out the other just flickering real dim. I bought 2 new bulbs and installed, same issue. Guy at ACE said to replace ballast. Bought new ballast, wired it up, same issue. There is no starter in these lights. What else could it be? Wife needs light in there. Any and all suggestions would be helpful.
We took our last fluorescent out and bought a regular ceiling light. Not only do they trigger migraines in some people but we couldn't put a dimmer on it.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Make sure your replacement tubes were the same as the original. Not just 4 feet long.
Although if the tubs and ballast now match it should work. Maybe you have an ARCs (?) circuit breaker on the line and you need a different tube?????
Old 07-25-2015, 05:38 PM

Who would of thunk? Of the two new bulbs, one was bad and I happen to insert it in same place as the original bad bulb that had burnt out had been. Tried the new bulbs in the garage light and discovered that the one was bad. Most likely ballast was good all along.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:18 PM
Platinum member

Make sure they are the same wattage. The ones I had were a weird number
Old 07-25-2015, 10:55 PM
Veteran member

How many Villagers does it take to change a light bulb?

Quote:
We took our last fluorescent out and bought a regular ceiling light. Not only do they trigger migraines in some people but we couldn't put a dimmer on it.
As much as mine give me fits with flickering and being slow to turn on and having to call the handyman whenever a bulb needs replacing, I never thought about getting rid of them because of the large footprint on the ceiling. Is there much damage once you take down the fixture?
Closed Thread

Tags
light, issue, bought, ballast, utility, room, fluorescent, helpful, starter, wife, lights, suggestions, guy, completely, working, tube, simmering, replace, ace, bulbs, installed, wired

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.