Pimlico Executive Course

Closed Thread
Old 09-06-2015, 07:04 AM
Default Pimlico Executive Course

Played Pimlico Wednesday afternoon, which was my first course I played since I arrived Tuesday the 1st. My first impression was "I understand why these courses are free". The greens were extremely slow and bumpy, it will be a while before I play it again. But let me say, I have played several executive courses since then and now understand that Pimlico is not the standard other executive courses at the Villages follow. I will enjoy my golf here very much.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODDA View Post
Played Pimlico Wednesday afternoon, which was my first course I played since I arrived Tuesday the 1st. My first impression was "I understand why these courses are free". The greens were extremely slow and bumpy, it will be a while before I play it again. But let me say, I have played several executive courses since then and now understand that Pimlico is not the standard other executive courses at the Villages follow. I will enjoy my golf here very much.

Welcome to the forum. I see you are from Columbia MO. The "Show Me" State.

I hope The Villages show you a lot of nice things and you learn to love it as I do.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:25 AM

I am sure i will, thanks
Old 09-06-2015, 08:25 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

Sorry to hear that Pimlico was not in good shape. Frankly, I haven't played it in several months. They can turn these courses around in a couple of months. A good example of that was Sweetgum down south. It was in terribles shape in March and played it recently and the greens were in excellent shape.

Welcome to TV and TOTV.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:32 AM
Sage

This is the first time I have ever met a person prior to their first post.

My wife and I were paired up with them Friday for nine holes. My golf was not very good, but they know golf and are fun people and will be great additions to The Villages if they decide that is right for them. I look forward to his course evaluations...
Old 09-06-2015, 04:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
///

Last edited by Mikeod; 09-07-2015 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:08 PM
Gold member
Default If your first impression...

Quote:
was one based on a course condition prior to knowing that these courses(and most 18hole courses) get literally 1000's of rounds by a lot of barely golfers you'd understand they get overused and conditions flag on occasion. While they don't get the minute attention a championship course gets they all get into great condition quite a few times a year....it takes patience to bring a course into shape and maintain it....no they will never be as well maintained as a championship and I don't expect them to be...my experience you might ask....2 handicap...on all types of courses...played(literally)converted cow pastures in my youth to professional venues depending on invitations...mowed greens, set pins, built greens, installed and repaired irrigation systems, plucked weeds and dug ditches...

There will be 36 executives here and you will find some in great condition(8 to 9 on the stimpmeter...and quite smooth if you're among the first out in the a.m....not unlike most professional courses with bermuda grass)and some needing quite a bit of care and rest due to the amount of play, weather conditions, turf problems and bad luck...

So before getting ahead of yourself and making snap judgements....get all the facts...then proceed...all it takes is patience...pontification ended.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:02 PM

Thanks for your input
Old 09-06-2015, 09:41 PM
Eternal Member

I played Pimlico today and thought it was fine. The greens seemed smooth and fast enough for me. Both me and my wife and my playing partners had some good short and long putts. I wasn't happy with the sand traps but that was my problem.

This was the first course I have played in a while that hasn't had the aeration bumps on the greens. But from reading a post in this thread, it is coming.

Z
Old 09-07-2015, 05:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear Pimlico has fallen to the level you describe. It used to be one of the better executive golf courses around. Thanks for the heads up. You will find the golf course conditions in The Villages extremely variable. There are many threads documenting which courses are good and which are bad. I try to look at them before I make tee times. Hope this helps.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:58 AM

GREAT, after playing some other courses I thought it would improve soon. My comment was based on the day we played.

Tags
courses, pimlico, played, executive, understand, villages, follow, enjoy, golf, standard, bumpy, 1st, impression, tuesday, arrived, wednesday, afternoon, free, play, slow, greens, extremely

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.