Makeup application services- is there a need here?

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2016, 09:05 PM
Default Makeup application services- is there a need here?

Hello ladies!

My father is a resident of your great community and I'm thinking about also relocating to the area. I'm currently in the TV/Film industry in Atlanta as a media makeup artist (6 years of experience with TV/Film + celebrity clientele as well). When not working on TV/Film productions, I have many private clients who like to have their makeup done for events, date nights, etc. and a few also opt to receive lessons on makeup application. What I'm wondering is do you think there is a need for this service amongst the ladies here? Could I stay busy? I would come to your home to make it super convenient, unless you preferred to come to me. Do you already have amazing makeup artists available to pamper you in this way or is this a niche that has yet to be filled? Many thanks in advance for any insight you can provide. Have a wonderful day!

-Natalie
Old 07-07-2016, 09:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Natalie, Please look at the covenants before you plan on a business, as I recall, you are NOT allowed to have a business in your house. You are not allowed to have people come to your house for services.

You might be better off hooking up with a hair salon to offer and additional service.

Now this is advice from a man (so take with a grain of salt), but please check before you make any decisions.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:26 PM

Thank you so much for that piece of advice. Ok so essentially, I would need to go to the client's home OR have the client come to me outside of The Villages, where I could certainly also reside if need be. And those options are both doable. I really appreciate your insight! So that just leaves the question, is there a need/desire for the services?
Old 07-07-2016, 10:48 PM
Sage

Possibly a job with Disney? It's about an hour from here but I'm sure they do makeup with all of the characters and such.

Here's a job I found locally that may be in your expertise. To search for more go to Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com

Posting – ULTA Beauty Careers I also noted that Ulta has several jobs listed on indeed.com
Old 07-08-2016, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHayes View Post
Hello ladies!

My father is a resident of your great community and I'm thinking about also relocating to the area. I'm currently in the TV/Film industry in Atlanta as a media makeup artist (6 years of experience with TV/Film + celebrity clientele as well). When not working on TV/Film productions, I have many private clients who like to have their makeup done for events, date nights, etc. and a few also opt to receive lessons on makeup application. What I'm wondering is do you think there is a need for this service amongst the ladies here? Could I stay busy? I would come to your home to make it super convenient, unless you preferred to come to me. Do you already have amazing makeup artists available to pamper you in this way or is this a niche that has yet to be filled? Many thanks in advance for any insight you can provide. Have a wonderful day!

-Natalie
Good morning Natalie I do use a professional to do my make up for weddings, exclusive parties and such while up north. However while I'm in Florida if I slap on some lipstick and Eyeliner that's the extent of it. You may find people here will make comments about whether you should be here or not. We do have a couple of massage places and some salons that you might want to talk to you to see if they could use your service. I would think it would take you a couple of trips down to see if this would work for you. I would say you may get three or for four people would need your services during the high season of January February and March per month. And it would be a bonus for you to go to their home. As I appreciate the person who takes care of my make up for special occasions I am still working full-time and have the ability of what I call free money to spend. Good luck take some comments with a grain of salt this is your life. The thought of Disney or universal may be an added bonus for you.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:54 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Most women here don't wear a lot of makeup. Things are much more casual here. I think your best shot would be teaching classes at our learning institute. I think several women would happily sign up for this, especially if the classes were geared to age appropriate makeup. It could turn into a very viable business for you, plus doing the occasional wedding, etc.

Good luck with endeavor.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-08-2016, 10:47 AM

Thank you so very much for your insight, jnieman, asianthree, and redwitch. Super helpful! If you care to answer, what would you say is the best salon to approach in The Villages? Since I don't really do character makeup, Disney is a little off my radar. I actually do clean beauty makeup as a specialty (for every age range and skin tone/type). Many thanks again and have a wonderful day!
Old 07-08-2016, 11:49 AM
Default Makeup application services- is there a need here?

Hi Natalie,

Though I am not living in my home in TV at the present, that is something that might interest me somewhere down the line, as mentioned, in a learning center or even possibly in your home. I put on "basic basic" makeup when I worked, because of the type of surrounding- never was seen there without my mascara! It would be nice to know how to apply it in different settings such as going to a wedding, wearing eyeglasses and so on. Also, I don't want to be sucked in at a department store counter paying a million dollars for all their products. I had put the idea of learning to apply makeup from an artist on my back burner. Learning how to age gracefully is also on my back burner, but in the mean time...!
So for now, I will try to keep up with my four beautiful young daughters.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:42 PM
Platinum member

I don't see myself ever getting my makeup professionally done. But I would love to take a do-it-yourself class at the Learning University.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:09 PM

Thank you msendo and BK001 very much for your insight and suggestions. Sounds like it may be a good idea to just remain in Atlanta but contact the Learning University about coming down there to teach a course sometime. Have a great weekend!
Old 07-10-2016, 09:33 PM
Gold member

I have always worn make-up, both personally and professionally. Since moving here, however, even though I still apply it before leaving the house, with the heat and humidity it is gone in a very short time, leaving me to wonder why I wasted my time (same with the hair!) Good luck in whatever you do, the idea of teaching a class is good, also, maybe having group meetings at someones home to learn techniques, charge a fee per person and watch how creative we can all be after the wine starts flowing!
Closed Thread

Tags
makeup, tv/film, application, ladies, busy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.