Over 70 years old weight loss-Atkins?

Closed Thread
Old 10-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Platinum member
Default Over 70 years old weight loss-Atkins?

Has anyone been successful with losing weight after turning 70? The only time I have ever been thin for any length of time was many years ago and it was the Atkins Program.

Anyone able to lose weight after 70?
Old 10-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Sage

i hve lost 8 lbs in 2 weeks by eliminating white bread, white rice and potatoes from my diet.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 10-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Gold member
Default Thin?

Thin, you say? I remember that. I think. It's been so long . . . now I remember - it was after I moved (ex-husband got a new job in a new state after being downsized) with 2 little kids, and had to get a mortgage at 17% interest - must have been about 1981. I "mis-remembered" - I was thin again for about 1 year after my divorce - not recommended for weight loss, however, although it worked for me.

I looked good, though.

To get back on point, I tried the Atkins diet once - in my 20s - when I thought I was a little overweight (hah - little did I know), and lasted about 2 weeks. I got dizzy, weak, and had bad breath. I did lose a few pounds, but had to question whether it was worth it and whether it was sustainable (obviously not) and if this is really a healthy diet. I decided not.

My sort-of stepson (my SO's son) went on the "Cave-Man diet," pretty much the Atkins diet except it allowed fruit. (You could eat everything that would or might have been available to a Cave-Man, had he had seasonal fruits and vegetables Fed-Exed). He came to the same conclusion I did from the Atkins diet - felt weak and not healthy. He is a former Marine who runs for fun (?) with a 50 lb. pack just because. No way he needs any kind of diet at this point in his life.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
Has anyone been successful with losing weight after turning 70? The only time I have ever been thin for any length of time was many years ago and it was the Atkins Program.

Anyone able to lose weight after 70?
Not at 70, but does 68 to 69 count?? I lost 40 lbs. since coming here to TV. It took almost 2 years but I know its off for good. My plan was I joined the Wellness Center (at that time) on their Weight Loss Program. They assigned me to a personal trainer who then put me on a menu program (notice I didn't call it a diet program). It incorporated proteins, carbs and fats, in proper proportions. Plus I went on a personal training program with him to decrease fat and increase muscle matter. I was extremely pleased with the results. I slowed down my training since he beginning of '11 but will be back on it in a few weeks, to lose another 20-25 lbs and most of all, I want arms like Kelly Ripka.... hahahaha!!! Let me know if you want further information on this. Good Luck!!!!!

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 10-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Default Weight

I lost 60# since January. A doctor recommended a book, "Eat to Live," by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. You can order it on Amazon for about $10. You must read the whole book to appreciate what you have to do. Don't just skip to the recipes, as you will not appreciate the basis for the program.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Veteran member

The Usana Health Sciences 'Reset'(tm) program works great both for weight loss and for blood sugar regulation (for those with diabetes or pre-diabetes).
It is cost effective because the products replace some meals and snacks, so the net cost of the program ends up being little if any.

It is uncomplicated, healthy, and is very effective, one reason for which is that it helps stop food cravings. It is easy to fit into a busy schedule, without requiring alot of food preparation (although there is some). One's age does not matter.

For info go to http://bravo.usana.com and click on the 'Weight' link. Watch the 'What do you have to lose?' video, and read the info below that.

If you have questions I'll be glad to help. There is also information, and a searchable database at the 'Usana Difference' link at the top of the homepage, then click on 'The Science Behind Usana', then click on 'Ask the Scientists'.

(Also, be sure to read the info at the 'How to Order' link, so as to get the lowest pricing).

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.

Last edited by Freeda; 10-11-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:21 PM
Sage

I've sent you a PM re Atkins.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
Not at 70, but does 68 to 69 count?? I lost 40 lbs. since coming here to TV. It took almost 2 years but I know its off for good. My plan was I joined the Wellness Center (at that time) on their Weight Loss Program. They assigned me to a personal trainer who then put me on a menu program (notice I didn't call it a diet program). It incorporated proteins, carbs and fats, in proper proportions. Plus I went on a personal training program with him to decrease fat and increase muscle matter. I was extremely pleased with the results. I slowed down my training since he beginning of '11 but will be back on it in a few weeks, to lose another 20-25 lbs and most of all, I want arms like Kelly Ripka.... hahahaha!!! Let me know if you want further information on this. Good Luck!!!!!
Good for you KathieI! It's very encouraging to read success stories like that! Perserverance pays off!

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 10-12-2011, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,543 Times in 1,307 Posts

My husband and I have both used updated Atkins when we gain a few..works great for us using turkey and lean pork and salads and an egg for morning.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:01 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
....I want arms like Kelly Ripka...
I think you meant to say Kelly Ripa.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.